The Student Room Group

Access to HE - to study Dietetics

Hey, I’m 30 so a mature student and really wanting to study Nutrition and Dietetics at Chester uni. It’s a nightmare as a mature student making sure I pick the correct access course. I have narrowed it down to two to hit this criteria but if anyone has any experience or anything that can help can you please let me know as to if it’s better if I pick Biochemical science or Health Science :smile:
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/46148fd6-4674-614d-1a08-c8186d8754e6?SearchText= Here’s the UCAS criteria

Biochemical course
https://adult.escg.ac.uk/online-courses/access-to-he-online/science-biochemical/

Health science course
https://www.uspcollege.ac.uk/courses-apprenticeships/our-courses/our-adult-courses/health-science-professions-access-to-higher-education/

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

The UCAS criteria says the entry requirements want you to study biology and chemistry within a science access course. I would look for a college that supplies an Access to HE diploma in science, as in just science nothing specific (of course including biology and chemistry). The science diploma is a bit broader which is useful in case you change your mind on what degree you do! (I think I ended up changing my mind about 100 times during my Access to HE course).

Upon a quick look at the courses you have linked, they don't have specific biology or chemistry modules so i'm not sure if this is what the university would accept this! If you want to complete one of the courses you have linked, I would email the university of choice and see if they accept either of these courses and what they recommend out of the two.

I hope this helps a bit!

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
Reply 2
hey, thanks so much for your response I really appreciate it. I have spoken to USP college now who have said I’d take the Access to HE health science course. This would be the chemistry biology pathway. I have attached what they’ve sent me over which covers how many credits I’d get in each section which I think matches what Chester are asking for? Still not sure!!

Ungraded
Academic Writing Skills - 3
Exploring Health and Disease - 3
Researching and Understanding Opportunities in HE - 3
Inforation Literacy Skills - 3
Research - 3

Biopsychology: Behaviour and Drugs - 3

Biology
Human Musculoskeletal System - 3
Nutrition and digestion - 3
Human urinary system - 3
Body structure and function - 6
Endocrine system - 3
Nervous system - 3
Non infectious disease - 3
Biochemical molecules - 3

Chemistry -15 credits
Chemistry and society - 3
Chemistry for biologists - 6
Chemistry of drugs and medicine - 6

(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)Hi!

The UCAS criteria says the entry requirements want you to study biology and chemistry within a science access course. I would look for a college that supplies an Access to HE diploma in science, as in just science nothing specific (of course including biology and chemistry). The science diploma is a bit broader which is useful in case you change your mind on what degree you do! (I think I ended up changing my mind about 100 times during my Access to HE course).

Upon a quick look at the courses you have linked, they don't have specific biology or chemistry modules so i'm not sure if this is what the university would accept this! If you want to complete one of the courses you have linked, I would email the university of choice and see if they accept either of these courses and what they recommend out of the two.

I hope this helps a bit!

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
Hi there! The Biochemical course you've featured above does meet the criteria for Biology and Chemistry but our Admissions team would ideally be looking for a Distinction in the 15 credits of Biology and a Merit in the 12 credits of Chemistry. They would also advise getting some relevant work experience or even shadowing experience perhaps in a Dietetic department or a similar environment. There's also opportunities to attend Dietetic Awareness events and all of this is great to talk about in your personal statement.I hope that this helps a little bit. You're more than welcome to email any queries to our Admissions team at [email protected] and they'll be able to help you!Best wishes,Grace :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Chester
thank you so much I really appreciate you help.

Will definitely make sure I do some shadowing and look at events over the next year

thank you again

(Original post by University of Chester)Hi there! The Biochemical course you've featured above does meet the criteria for Biology and Chemistry but our Admissions team would ideally be looking for a Distinction in the 15 credits of Biology and a Merit in the 12 credits of Chemistry. They would also advise getting some relevant work experience or even shadowing experience perhaps in a Dietetic department or a similar environment. There's also opportunities to attend Dietetic Awareness events and all of this is great to talk about in your personal statement.I hope that this helps a little bit. You're more than welcome to email any queries to our Admissions team at [email protected] and they'll be able to help you!Best wishes,Grace :smile:

thank you so much I really appreciate you help.

Will definitely make sure I do some shadowing and look at events over the next year

thank you again
Reply 5
I’m 31 and just finished an Access to Science course and will be studying Dietetics next year at Leeds Beckett (deferring my start as I just had a baby!).

Some reassurance if you struggle with shadowing someone (I did due to COVID) A really nice dietitian from a Hospice let me have a zoom call with her to ask her any questions I had and also so that she could give me an overview of what she did each day, which was really useful.

I also applied and had an interview at Chester and they were more than happy that I had done that.

Happy to answer any questions you may have 😊x
Reply 6
Original post by Ariel C
I’m 31 and just finished an Access to Science course and will be studying Dietetics next year at Leeds Beckett (deferring my start as I just had a baby!).

Some reassurance if you struggle with shadowing someone (I did due to COVID) A really nice dietitian from a Hospice let me have a zoom call with her to ask her any questions I had and also so that she could give me an overview of what she did each day, which was really useful.

I also applied and had an interview at Chester and they were more than happy that I had done that.

Good morning!

Thank you so much that’s really helpful

Also Congratulations on the baby and good luck with your course!

Chester has come back to me and have said the health science course is ok so I’m going to do that one as the credits seem more relevant now I’ve had a break down.

I’ll definitely take your advice on the shadowing and Zoom

Thanks so much have a lovely weekend :smile:
Hi, I am about to start my Access to Biosciences at Cardiff College. I am looking to apply 2023 to Cardiff Met. I am 38 this year. Very nervous to be going to university so late in life. Good Luck at Chester.
Reply 8
Original post by KiraLewis
Hi, I am about to start my Access to Biosciences at Cardiff College. I am looking to apply 2023 to Cardiff Met. I am 38 this year. Very nervous to be going to university so late in life. Good Luck at Chester.

Brilliant! Good luck with that! It is a bit nerve wracking as a mature student isn’t it and it’s a nightmare making sure you pick the right course to get you where you need to be!
Original post by Sophier91
Brilliant! Good luck with that! It is a bit nerve wracking as a mature student isn’t it and it’s a nightmare making sure you pick the right course to get you where you need to be!

Yes, I'm pretty good at making sure i've got the right info to get where I need to be. I can't wait to actually start university though.
Original post by Sophier91

Hi, Will you be attending the chester dietetic event next week?
Original post by Ariel C

Hi, Did you start your course?

I'm looking into going to Leeds Beckett next year to study the same. Looking at Access to HE courses but I'm 37 2 kids, and wondering if this is possible! How did you find the Access course? I' m wondering if i'm too old! Looking at Kirklees College, Bradford College or Wakefield to do the access course.
Original post by alrowley18
Hi, Did you start your course?

I'm looking into going to Leeds Beckett next year to study the same. Looking at Access to HE courses but I'm 37 2 kids, and wondering if this is possible! How did you find the Access course? I' m wondering if i'm too old! Looking at Kirklees College, Bradford College or Wakefield to do the access course.

I’m 40 and two grown up kids and just completed my access course. Now going to University of Nottingham to do Dietetics and Nutrition.

Go for it!

Don’t worry about age, I’ve seen lots of 50+ mature students.
Original post by Chezer1483
I’m 40 and two grown up kids and just completedd my access course. Now going to University of Nottingham to do Dietetics and Nutrition.

Go for it!

Don’t worry about age, I’ve seen lots of 50+ mature students.

How did you find the access course?

I found one in my local town but does biology and chemistry which is what is required to get into Leeds uni.

I’ve got GCSE grade D in science double award. Been placed in a high score for the last year support in GCSE students with science, so my knowledge has come up a lot!

Been studying for the past two weeks GCSE biology and chemistry, the chemistry is just so boring and hard!

How was your knowledge of chemistry and biology, so that you could get distinctions in the access course?
Hello,

I think the bit I struggled on in my access course in Chemistry was, everything that we are taught in Chemistry at GSSE is wrong and I had to adapt to Chemistry A level and learn the right Chemistry methods. You’ll know the basics so it will be ok.

You’re right, Chemistry is so boring, I didn’t like it however, I knew I had to work my arse of to get the grades, I got distinctions in everything.

I think you’ll be fine, as you will have everything needed for assignments and the online lecture print outs are extremely helpful for your assignments and your online lecture recordings will be a huge help.

They give you so much help, as long as your not like others in my group and actually turn up to every lesson and not fall behind! It’s really upsetting seeing your mates get rejections at the end and be in tears as they were told they won’t be finishing this year for Uni!

I really enjoyed my course, once December came and went, the course flew by.

We all said Biology was harder than Chemistry! Who would have thought that lol.

Do you start your access mid Sept? Not long now !

How did you find the access course?

I found one in my local town but does biology and chemistry which is what is required to get into Leeds uni.

I’ve got GCSE grade D in science double award. Been placed in a high score for the last year support in GCSE students with science, so my knowledge has come up a lot!

Been studying for the past two weeks GCSE biology and chemistry, the chemistry is just so boring and hard!

How was your knowledge of chemistry and biology, so that you could get distinctions in the access course?
I forgot to say, most people in my class had lost all knowledge on Chemistry and Biology and did ok.
Original post by Chezer1483
I forgotah to say, most people in my class had lost all knowledge on Chemistry and Biology and did ok.

Ah okay!!! so it’s probably best that I put the GCSE science books down hahahahahhahahaha

I’m having a bit of a wobble, because I actually am in rolled on a course to do learning disability nursing which I can get into but then I thought to myself, I actually want to do dietetics and nutrition

haha
Ah okay!!! so it’s probably best that I put the GCSE science books down hahahahahhahahaha

I’m having a bit of a wobble, because I actually am in rolled on a course to do learning disability nursing which I can get into but then I thought to myself, I actually want to do dietetics and nutrition

haha

You will have to choose upto 5 uni courses when you apply on ucas on your access course.

Choose leaning disability nursing, I did and I also picked all the other nursing courses. You can then choose at the end. Go on all the open days for selected courses and this will help you make up your mind.

I always was gonna choose do Dietetics and if I failed I was just gonna try again next year.
So what I meant was, I’m actually enrolled with a learning disability cars this year because I have the qualifications to do that, but my passion is dietetics and nutrition in general so I’ve actually applied to the local college to do the access course because I don’t have my A-levels in biology and chemistry
ah gotcha 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending