The Student Room Group

Junior Doctor AMA

If you want any advice on medicine or questions about life as a doctor feel free to ask!

Scroll to see replies

Have you ever managed a neurological medical emergency?

Has your hospital ever reached Opel 4?
I have had situations where I have been bleeped to see patients with a sudden drop in GCS. Also seen cases where it was like 'query loss of reflexes' or some other loss of function.

I have no idea if my hospital has ever reached OPEL 4 not going to lie ! 😂 Has yours? How would I even know? Nobody has ever mentioned that to me ...

Original post by Mesopotamian.

(edited 1 year ago)
FY doctor
I think I would like to do neurology! But will go down the IMT route (was a toss up between IMT and paeds tbh!). What do you do?

Yeah I am beginning to do a bit of revision for them.

I mean I haven't known anything but the current pay settlement. I obviously wouldn't complain about more pay haha How do you feel about it and what do you do?
Yeah I am happy to help others applying including if they want to message directly and need some advice.
How do you find being a neurology consultant? Do you enjoy the job?
aha sorry won't ask any further questions! but yeah will reply on main threads if I think I can help
Original post by NoLimitAH
If you want any advice on medicine or questions about life as a doctor feel free to ask!

This is a really odd one but what are peoples opinions on doctors with tattoos! I’ve heard some people say that the consultants can be a bit “judgy”. I start med school this year and I’ve got visible tattoos (like 50% of my arm) and defo want more I’m just worried about whether it would put me at a disadvantage at any point 😂
Original post by Sbjx
This is a really odd one but what are peoples opinions on doctors with tattoos! I’ve heard some people say that the consultants can be a bit “judgy”. I start med school this year and I’ve got visible tattoos (like 50% of my arm) and defo want more I’m just worried about whether it would put me at a disadvantage at any point 😂

I have seen staff with tattoos on their arms ... I have never seen anyone complain about it ngl. But I suppose it's like in any walk of life some people will judge and others won't care.

How are you finding medical school!
Original post by Sbjx

I think would be an ideal person to ask since they are a consultant and I’m way more junior
Did you ever consider anything other than being a doctor?
What were you most nervous about when you started F1?

What advice would you give to your first-year med school self?
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
Did you ever consider anything other than being a doctor?

Yeah I considered being a straight scientist in a lab. I like the idea of working on my own business too. I also like the idea of being a writer 😂 so yeah I’ve considered other careers
Original post by TheMedicOwl
What were you most nervous about when you started F1?

What advice would you give to your first-year med school self?

Probably whether my practical skills were up to scratch. I suppose I had this vision that every day would be like apocalyptic managing complex bowel obstruction, status, cardiac arrests and I would be alone 😂 but I’m reality you have support eg from nurses or more senior doctors where if you can’t quite do something they probably can

I think I would just want myself to enjoy medical school and appreciate the freedoms that come with being a student. And engross myself in the learning too. Not be too bothered by others or what others are doing just focusing on my own path
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.

Yes, lots (to both)!
I don't actually know! So possibly not for several years.
Reply 17
Can I borrow your brain this week for just 2 hrs😢for UCAT?
Oh we are on black alert atm 😂😂😂 maybe that’s why I wasn’t sure about OPEL 4

literally got the email this morning which is a funny thing in relation to this thread
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by YuanG
Can I borrow your brain this week for just 2 hrs😢for UCAT?

Ngl I didn’t enjoy ucat and not keen for my brain to go through that again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending