Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had one last term. Couldn't turn my head for a few days!

(Original post by PQ)
    I didn't dream that then

I was very confused when suddenly the measles(MR) jab wasn't effective anymore after they'd forced most 15/16 yr olds in the country to have it a few yrs earlier....
    yeah it confused me cos that injection (was to stop a predicted measles epidemic) never appeared on our medical records, so i figured it was an MMR, but instead it was just MR. (its easier/cheaper to give the measles rubella jab than measles alone)
    But there we go -
    It all shows of course how essential the MMR jab is - its only us age groups who have only had 1 jab which have gotten mumps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    yeah it confused me cos that injection (was to stop a predicted measles epidemic) never appeared on our medical records, so i figured it was an MMR, but instead it was just MR. (its easier/cheaper to give the measles rubella jab than measles alone)
    But there we go -
    It all shows of course how essential the MMR jab is - its only us age groups who have only had 1 jab which have gotten mumps.
    I was wondering about that!! Thank's for the info, I may get myself around to a student health visit sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    i got it in primary and secondary school so think I'm ok. But my uni is offering it yeah, about 2 weeks ago we could get 'em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I'm DESPERATE for a flu jab, but the doctor won't give me one because I'm not old or asthmatic. Which sucks a lot. I mean, it's not just old peopple and asthma sufferers that get the flu repeatedly. Git.
    Are you sure it's actual influenza you're getting, or just viral infections?

(Original post by Helenia)
    Are you sure it's actual influenza you're getting, or just viral infections?
    Sounds like a man with a cold

Either that or has serious immunity issues - NO-ONE gets Influenza that regulary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    We had clinics last term as well, all got done. Immunity will be lifelong, but if you only had one rather than two injections when you were younger, you may not be fully immune hence why you need another one.
    Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I'm sure immunity is not guaranteed from mumps from the MMR vaccine? Isn't it rather like the old smallpox vaccine - some people need multiple doses before the body has an immune response to it?

ReputationRep:
    12 people on my floor of 30 got it !!!!

i got a vaccine about a month ago and it has a 3 week incubation period so i guess i'm safe now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I'm sure immunity is not guaranteed from mumps from the MMR vaccine? Isn't it rather like the old smallpox vaccine - some people need multiple doses before the body has an immune response to it?
    No, it's not guaranteed, hence why you have two doses. But if you respond to either or both of them, then you will be immune.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.