The Student Room Group

Help!!

Hello,
I’m taking igcses exams next year(may/june) and i come from africa so here are the subjects I’m taking:

Biology (extended)
Chemistry (extended)
Physics (extended)
Mathematics (extended)
Additional mathematics
Information communication technology (ict)
English first language
Arabic second language

I am confused about what to do with university applications, I want to get a scholarship to study astronomy or computer science (whichever, really) at anywhere in the UK or Canada and I know I’m supposed to take the A-levels before applying but my teacher told that if I emailed the university and proved myself qualified they will compromise
Also note that I’m not financially stable
So please tell me what I’m supposed to do to guarantee a scholarship in uk or Canada
Original post by Yarasworld
Hello,
I’m taking igcses exams next year(may/june) and i come from africa so here are the subjects I’m taking:

Biology (extended)
Chemistry (extended)
Physics (extended)
Mathematics (extended)
Additional mathematics
English first language
Arabic second language

I am confused about what to do with university applications, I want to get a scholarship to study astronomy or computer science (whichever, really) at anywhere in the UK or Canada and I know I’m supposed to take the A-levels before applying but my teacher told that if I emailed the university and proved myself qualified they will compromise
So please tell me what I’m supposed to do to guarantee a scholarship in uk or Canada

You would need to meet the entry requirements for your degree course, which would be A levels or their equivalent. GCSEs alone will not get you into university in the UK.

Try searching for courses you are interested in on ucas.com. Then look at the university websites - there will be information on the course webpages about international entry requirements.
Original post by Yarasworld
Hello,

Biology (extended)
Chemistry (extended)
Physics (extended)
Mathematics (extended)
Additional mathematics
English first language
Arabic second language

Heya!
As normaw has said, you would first need to pass entry requirements which means you need a-levels first (so a bit too early!).

I would recommend looking at the university's courses and scholarship pages and reading through their application process and noting down any deadlines (usually the deadlines are early). My friend studies in Canada and she has more scholarships available to her than I do in the UK (I study in the UK and my friend got like 4 scholarships in Canada). However, in the UK if you can, you could apply for a student loan which can fund your UK degree though you would have to check your eligibility. However first step, I'd recommend just checking the unis scholarship pages and noting down any that you fit in criteria-wise!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
As normaw has said, you would first need to pass entry requirements which means you need a-levels first (so a bit too early!).

I would recommend looking at the university's courses and scholarship pages and reading through their application process and noting down any deadlines (usually the deadlines are early). My friend studies in Canada and she has more scholarships available to her than I do in the UK (I study in the UK and my friend got like 4 scholarships in Canada). However, in the UK if you can, you could apply for a student loan which can fund your UK degree though you would have to check your eligibility. However first step, I'd recommend just checking the unis scholarship pages and noting down any that you fit in criteria-wise!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

It is unlikely that an international student would qualify for a student loan in the UK.

@Yarasworld There is information on the following webpage about scholarships and grants for international students:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/international-and-eu-students/what-finance-options-are-available-if-i-want-study-uk

Quick Reply

Latest