The Student Room Group

I don’t think my GP helped me enough

Im so tired and stressed, I called my gp to explain my mental health issues but I feel like he dismissed it and only listened to the part I spoke about school, and then told me to talk to my school. I’ve had 4 breakdowns today becauae of it, i’m having a real *****y day because i’m tired of being referred to other people for help. And now people keep saying counselling doesnt work and I wish I said more to the gp, is it possible I can call back and say more, if so what could I say? Cause this is really stressing me out I feel like i’ve hit rock bottom again after finally getting the energy to call the gp just to be dismissed like that.
Original post by cherrydoll
Im so tired and stressed, I called my gp to explain my mental health issues but I feel like he dismissed it and only listened to the part I spoke about school, and then told me to talk to my school. I’ve had 4 breakdowns today becauae of it, i’m having a real *****y day because i’m tired of being referred to other people for help. And now people keep saying counselling doesnt work and I wish I said more to the gp, is it possible I can call back and say more, if so what could I say? Cause this is really stressing me out I feel like i’ve hit rock bottom again after finally getting the energy to call the gp just to be dismissed like that.

Sorry to hear you're feeling this way. I would try to book another appointment with a different GP instead. Hopefully you'll have better luck speaking to someone else who can hear you out as your current GP unfortunately sounds very dismissive.
Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling just now OP, and that your GP didn't let you speak about everything that is impacting you. You could ask to make an appointment with a different GP, and make a list of points that you want to chat about when you go in might help in advance.

There are also lots of resources out there other than your GP, although I would strongly encourage you to re-visit. I will list some helpful resources below that might be useful:

1. Your university will have onsite Student Support services, if you haven't tried them yet they can be a really helpful resource to make us of.
2. Student Space have lots of resources and help and advice available on their site
3. Mind - provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. National helpline 0300 123 3393 or contact local mind group. They also provide Elefriends, an free online moderated support platform.
4. Stress Management Society helps people tackle stress through factsheets, events and courses.
5. Stressbusting courses, treatment and expert advice - lots of information.

This list isn't exhaustive but it might be a useful start for you. Please remember you are not alone!

Wishing you all the best
Lee
Student Minds
My GP was awful, didn’t even care when I told her of my genuine suicide attempts. She gave me a child’s dose of sertraline (I was 18 and not small) that did nothing and she refused to up it, and recommend me to Kooth (useless and rude company) so I never went back to her again. My educational psychologist diagnosed me with depression and anxiety but I won’t go back to the doctor so I manage by myself. A lot of GPs are useless when it comes to mental health, especially if you’re under 21 as they see you as a teen/uni student who thinks struggling with school is depression when actually some teens do have real depression (social media makes a lot of people fake it).
Reply 4
Original post by StudentMinds Rep
Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling just now OP, and that your GP didn't let you speak about everything that is impacting you. You could ask to make an appointment with a different GP, and make a list of points that you want to chat about when you go in might help in advance.

There are also lots of resources out there other than your GP, although I would strongly encourage you to re-visit. I will list some helpful resources below that might be useful:

1. Your university will have onsite Student Support services, if you haven't tried them yet they can be a really helpful resource to make us of.
2. Student Space have lots of resources and help and advice available on their site
3. Mind - provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. National helpline 0300 123 3393 or contact local mind group. They also provide Elefriends, an free online moderated support platform.
4. Stress Management Society helps people tackle stress through factsheets, events and courses.
5. Stressbusting courses, treatment and expert advice - lots of information.

This list isn't exhaustive but it might be a useful start for you. Please remember you are not alone!

Wishing you all the best
Lee
Student Minds

Thank you Lee this was so much help ❤️
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
My GP was awful, didn’t even care when I told her of my genuine suicide attempts. She gave me a child’s dose of sertraline (I was 18 and not small) that did nothing and she refused to up it, and recommend me to Kooth (useless and rude company) so I never went back to her again. My educational psychologist diagnosed me with depression and anxiety but I won’t go back to the doctor so I manage by myself. A lot of GPs are useless when it comes to mental health, especially if you’re under 21 as they see you as a teen/uni student who thinks struggling with school is depression when actually some teens do have real depression (social media makes a lot of people fake it).

This is so true, I hope u find someone who can treat your depression better. Self management sounds like a lot of work :frown:
Original post by cherrydoll
This is so true, I hope u find someone who can treat your depression better. Self management sounds like a lot of work :frown:

Self-management is the most important skill you can learn when it comes to mental health (and any chronic health condition tbh).
Original post by black tea
Self-management is the most important skill you can learn when it comes to mental health (and any chronic health condition tbh).

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest