The Student Room Group

How many different unis should you call for clearing?

is 5 enough? or should i prepare with the numbers of more
Reply 1
I got a solid 8, not sure if that helped at all but is what it is.
Original post by Byebyby
is 5 enough? or should i prepare with the numbers of more

Hi @Byebyby,

Although the initial UCAS application allows 5 options (4 for medicine) clearing is quite different and can be very stressful.

In order to be the most efficient, I would recommend that:

1. You have a course in mind (something you will enjoy or find intriguing not just for the sake of going to university and avoiding a gap year). This is most important step justifying why you are going through clearing.

2. Have a rough idea of which universities you would like to go this depends on many factors: their teaching style, location, proximity from home etc

3. Now that you have a few universities in mind see if they are doing that course in clearing (most courses will be in clearing right now [except medicine or dentistry])

4. Contact those universities that you are interested in and are doing that course in clearing (starting with your favourite). There are many ways to contact them instant online message or call (avoid emails).
NOTE: at this time of the year, ALL universities are very active and easy to contact but the places you are competing for are limited so you need to prioritise.

5. Get a place on your chosen course and enjoy university!

This is a good way to avoid stress and is a logical step by step process. So, it could be 2 universities you contact or 6. Ultimately, you want to try and get a place at your favourite place doing what you like.

Hope this helps and good luck 😊

Shaheer (Lancaster University Ambassador)

Ps I think that you can contact universities RIGHT NOW and get an idea
It doesnt matter how many you have on your 'list' - you'll need to check them all again on Thursday morning before you call to see if 'that course' is actually in Clearing.
Hey @Byebyby

Although there isn't a certain amount of universities that you should call for clearing, my advice would be that you pick a course that you know you will enjoy and a university that you like and then see if they have places available. You can contact each university in different ways, either by online chats, phone calls or attend clearing fairs. You can call our clearing phone line on 01642 738400 or attend our clearing fair on 20th August if you prefer!

Best of luck
Aleeyah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending