Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone know the pay scale of post docs and lecturers in science ? is it the same process as with history e.g you get promoted by the quality and amount of published material ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloud29187)
    Hey does anyone know the pay scale of post docs and lecturers in science ? is it the same process as with history e.g you get promoted by the quality and amount of published material ?
    Pay scales are independent of subject and starts at around £27-30k for a postdoc. There is no "promotion" unless you change staff grade (e.g. move from postdoc -> lecturer -> reader -> professor) you just go up on the point scale every year (equivalent to around a 1-2% pay increase atm).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebigqs)
    Loads!

ReputationRep:
    to do this you will need to go to uni and get a Ba degree and then a masters degree then study for your PHD and then you will be eligable to become a professer at a university

ReputationRep:
    I think its important to note a few things. First of all to become a lecturer in any substantive long term capacity will require you to complete a PhD. Oxbridge may be slightly different, but that only accounts for a small percentage of the academic market.

Secondly, academia is not a field like teaching, nursing or other vocational professions, where you normally qualify and move straight into a job. Stats show that the majority of PhDs do not end up in permanant academic roles such as lecturers or professors and end up leaving academia. There are just too many of them. Even though there is a ladder of PhD->Post doc-> Junior lecturer->Senior lecturer-> Prof, its really not that straight forward, as there is a pyramid structure where the level above tends to be smaller than the level below.

Rather than say, medicine, Its more like learning a musical instrument, where a small handful of musicians make it big, become famous and get signed to a label (Profs), a slightly larger subset may make it as session musicians, ekeing out a career doing radio jingles and weddings(lecturers) but a far, far larger proportion go no further than doing the odd pub gig, busking, or end up playing in their bedrooms (Post docs and PhDs). Its insecure work that could mean that you have to move around from pillar to post, never knowing where you end up as a huge number of posts in academia are on fixed term temporary contracts or dependent on "soft money" that can be pulled at the drop of a hat.

In short, its doable, but its not a sure thing, and far from straightforward. In part of my job, I am in a senior lecturer post. I am one of two who are still in academia from the 12 people who did their PhDs with me . Even from this relatively half way up position I am all too aware that I am one of the lucky ones, and am not naive enough to think I will necessarily make Prof.

So, if you are still reading and interested what can you do?

- Accept its not straight forward.
    - Find a good mentor, who cares for you.
    - Take every opportunity to publish (I had published twice before I finished my undergrad).
    - Be prepared to move. Far.
    - Reconcile yourself with rejection.
    - Network like hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Pay scales are independent of subject and starts at around £27-30k for a postdoc. There is no "promotion" unless you change staff grade (e.g. move from postdoc -> lecturer -> reader -> professor) you just go up on the point scale every year (equivalent to around a 1-2% pay increase atm).
    Hey thanks for this, yes what i meant was the pay scale as you go up the ladder. So just out of interest how much would a reader or professor expect ?

ReputationRep:
    Professors at top universities will be on £75k+ depending on their field & experience. Less renowned universities probably £50k+ still. Lecturers about £40-45k for top universities.

It's a long, hard road if you choose to go down it though, with a lot relying on good connections, good projects & a bit of luck to make it, getting out of postdoc positions is the hardest part though.

ReputationRep:
    These are the pay scales at Oxford: http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/finance/pa...des6andup/#a20

It is pretty much identical everywhere else as these pay deals are agreed/negotiated by national bodies/unions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.