The Student Room Group

Cardiff Architecture 2009, - portfolio advice/discussion

Hi I am hoping to send my portfolio by around monday 17th Nov, but I am still unsure as to what combination of work to put in it, and so want to hear any advice or infomation about what other people have done for theirs as I really want to make as good an impression as possible (got rejected from UCL after they recieved my portfolio, and don't want it to happen again!).

We've all seen the first email concerning the portfolio, which wasn't too detailed - Extract as follows;

"As part of our Admissions process, you are asked to submit a small portfolio of art work that you have executed. This should consist of 4 sheets of A4 size, need not be architectural but may include drawing,painting, sculpture, photography, graphics, product design or any other work in visual design. Wewill not be able to return your work to you so please do not send originals. The copies may be inany appropriate format (photographic, photocopy, digital printouts), but please make sure that theyare of sufficiently good quality to do justice to your work"

People might also be interested in a slightly more detailed Email I received (supposedly as a reply to a question I sent about being able to submit via PDF) a few days ago. - as follows;

"As part of our Admissions policy, we ask to see a small portfolio of artwork (four sheets of A4 size only). The portfolio need not be architectural but can include drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, graphics, product design or any other work in visual design that you have executed.

We assess the portfolio in three main areas:
Originality
Creativity
Execution

And we look for:
Proof of visual thinking
Proof of conceptual thinking
Proof of critical awareness
Proof of three-dimensional awareness

You may use both sides of the paper and include as many images as you wish but please ensure that these are clearly defined. Please do not send original work as we cannot return it - photographs, photocopies, digital printouts will suffice. Please submit your portfolio to me (address below) as soon as possible and, in any event, before the UCAS Main Cycle deadline of 15th January 2009. A Letter of Verification on School/College headed paper, and signed by a Tutor, must accompany each portfolio. We hope that this information is of help."
Reply 1
Mine is being compliled this weekend. All the works are have been photographed nicely, and are just waiting for printing. Our school printers have awful colour representation and so I'm thinking of getting them professionaly done?

Both sides of the paper will be used! haha, so that I can get bigger photos of my favourite pieces and more photos (from different angles) of my
3D artwork.

Tutor's letter then off to the post office! Send recorded delivery :smile:
Reply 2
Same with my College's printers, all so terrible, tendency to turn most things pink as well. I was thinking about going somewhere to get them done properly too, don't know anywhere to do it at the moment though.

You mentioned 3D work, which sounds like a pretty good thing to put in, what other works are you sending photos of?

Latest

Trending

Trending