data analytics and visualisation
text analysis.
artificial intelligence
basics of 3D modelling
information systems
cyberspace
digital sound and video
digital curation and stewardship.

And I haven't done computing science during high school? They all seem very computer based and dont have that xp. How should I go about learning this?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AcidS
Should I be concerned that my course has subjects such as

digital media in cultural heritage
publishing information on the web
digitisation
information governance, security and legislation
database development
data analytics and visualisation
text analysis.
artificial intelligence
basics of 3D modelling
information systems
cyberspace
digital sound and video
digital curation and stewardship.

And I haven't done computing science during high school? They all seem very computer based and dont have that xp. How should I go about learning this?

Not really. That's the whole point of a degree, right? To teach you these things. Not every school offers Computer Science so every university teaches it assuming no prior knowledge.

Also, this doesn't seem like a very theoretical/mathematical CS degree so you should be fine.
As long as you have the basic computing skills of being able to generally use a PC for word processing/internet access/etc, you should be fine. If they expected prior programming experience, they would have required a relevant subject at A-level which presumably they didn't. Everything else they should teach from scratch.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Not really. That's the whole point of a degree, right? To teach you these things. Not every school offers Computer Science so every university teaches it assuming no prior knowledge.

Also, this doesn't seem like a very theoretical/mathematical CS degree so you should be fine.

Right, I just hope rumours about CS being badly taught aren't true or at least for uofg. If then, would I just use the Internet to back me up?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
As long as you have the basic computing skills of being able to generally use a PC for word processing/internet access/etc, you should be fine. If they expected prior programming experience, they would have required a relevant subject at A-level which presumably they didn't. Everything else they should teach from scratch.

Right, I just hope rumours about CS being badly taught aren't true or at least for uofg. If then, would I just use the Internet to back me up?

Quick Reply