Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am so angry with the authorities about poor baby P....how on earth has this happened in todays day and age??? Not a social worker or policeman or medical worker did anything to help this little boy...WHY?

For those of u who don't know, Baby P was tortured,abused and neglected by his mother and her boyfriend for 17 months....and the things they did were awful (eg- broke his back, punched him so hard in the face they found his tooth in his tummy)

Im so angry the system has let thos little boy down, i hope the 'mother' (if thats what she calls herself) and her bf rott in hell ...:mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Not really political, is it?

ReputationRep:
    "The system" are letting people down all the time - just this case had a rather more unfortunate consequence that most.

I was speaking to a family friend the other day, who works in a school. They have a pupil there (about 9 years old I think) who's family had had run ins with the social services before. This little girl had nits for months, which was becoming increasingly unfair on her and the other kids around her. Medication was prescribed to her, her mother never collected it. Nits continued. It got worse and worse, she ended up with her scalp being infected, and last week (6 months after the school first contacted them) a home visitor was sent to her home, and she was taken into care the same day. Social services then had the cheek to turn round and tell the school that they "obviously didn't know how bad the situation was".

Despite having been trying to contact them for 6 months with no response. Grrr..
    yedit; obviously not as severe as dying, but you have to wonder how the girl would have ended up if no one had taken any action.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see Prime Minister's questions? Pretty cheap of Brown to accuse Cameron of playing party politics, he seems to say that every time someone makes a legitimate criticism of his government's failings.

ReputationRep:
    Failing of the system. In many ways.

ReputationRep:
    I do find it interesting that the death has happened under the same "care" Victoria Climbie fell under.

ReputationRep:
    It happens to lots of children. Sometimes it can be hard to catch child abusers, and children can't be taken away just like that. It is sad though.

ReputationRep:
    if we had an Orwellian surveillance state this sort of thing would never of happened...

/sarc.

ReputationRep:
    *yawn* ... this again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Not really political, is it?
    Erm, yes it is? For a start it was debated for the entire afternoon in the House of Commons today between the PM and David Cameron! It is a political issue because the Social Services department receives £100 million a year (tax payers money might I add) to take care of cases like these, and yet it went ignored and brushed aside, and has resulted in the death of a baby. The Social Service has needed to be reviewed, reformed and restructured for years, and it's frankly disgusting that it has needed this case to spark any debate about it at all, particularly when a case just like this occured years ago under the same Council.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Erm, yes it is? For a start it was debated for the entire afternoon in the House of Commons today between the PM and David Cameron! It is a political issue because the Social Services department receives £100 million a year (tax payers money might I add) to take care of cases like these, and yet it went ignored and brushed aside, and has resulted in the death of a baby. The Social Service has needed to be reviewed, reformed and restructured for years, and it's frankly disgusting that it has needed this case to spark any debate about it at all, particularly when a case just like this occured years ago under the same Council.
    perhaps the social services need more money to stop this from happening (rather than complaining about those poor old tax payers).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    perhaps the social services need more money to stop this from happening (rather than complaining about those poor old tax payers).
    What? The baby had 60 visits from the authorities. Do you even know anything about this case?

ReputationRep:
    PMQs isn't a debate!
    A specific question was asked but an answer was not given (no change there).
    but I agree with you in the rest of your post

ReputationRep:
    They also talked about Russel Brands answer phone message and the 2008 Olympics. The fact that they take tax payers money isn't particularly relevant either, because I don't think you'll find many people supporting the actions of those charged here - it's no more or less 'political' than any other crime (all of which is fought by the police who are - ta da - funded by the tax payer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    Of course they don't. If they can't spend the money they have properly, it's not going to make a difference if you throw more money at them. It doesn't take a giant amount of money to realise this child was being abused for a long time, and there was evidence to support it too, yet they did nothing. And it's not about the 'poor tax' payers; I don't want mine and my parents money going down the drain whilst a baby is left to be held up by its ears, its ribs broken and left for dead, when it could have been prevented, and i dont think thats unreasonable at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charli159)
    I am so angry with the authorities about poor baby P....how on earth has this happened in todays day and age??? Not a social worker or policeman or medical worker did anything to help this little boy...WHY?

For those of u who don't know, Baby P was tortured,abused and neglected by his mother and her boyfriend for 17 months....and the things they did were awful (eg- broke his back, punched him so hard in the face they found his tooth in his tummy)

Im so angry the system has let thos little boy down, i hope the 'mother' (if thats what she calls herself) and her bf rott in hell ...:mad: :mad:
    It's true you know,and no offence to anyone but this country prides it self on soooooo many things and yet it can't even look after it's children,they said it would never happen again after victoria climbie but matters speak for themselves,it's sad that the authorities didn't detect it,it happened in the SAME place where Victoria dies aswell,and the mother...well let's leave her for the big man...or the american's they'll take good good care of her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    What? The baby had 60 visits from the authorities. Do you even know anything about this case?
    I didn't realise it was as many as that, seems silly to have that many visits, surely the number of visits alone must tell the authoritys something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    They also talked about Russel Brands answer phone message and the 2008 Olympics. The fact that they take tax payers money isn't particularly relevant either, because I don't think you'll find many people supporting the actions of those charged here - it's no more or less 'political' than any other crime (all of which is fought by the police who are - ta da - funded by the tax payer).
    I didn't say they didn't speak about anything else. Incase you didn't know, politics is the process by which people make decisions, and what is being disputed is the decision to not have an internal investigation into the council that allowed the baby to stay with its parents after it had been proved on several occasions it would be harmful to its health. And yes it is relevant, because people are having their money spent on a half hearted, piss poor service that makes mistakes like these time and time again, and maybe u don't mind your money going towards it, but I do, the same with my family who was put through hell by the Social Service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    PMQs isn't a debate!
    A specific question was asked but an answer was not given (no change there).
    but I agree with you in the rest of your post
    Cameron seemed to momentarily lose his rag after Brown questioned his motives. Thought it was probably the most genuine I've seen Cameron in a while (he is a father after all).

At the same time, he did, remarkably, manage to avoid the economy, a subject I suspect he would have had virtually **** all to say on today.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, the abuse wasn't ignored. Social services were involved, thus negating it as "ignored". It was overlooked, not investigated properly, but it wasn't ignored.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.