The Student Room Group

How do you make friends/relationships

Honestly, this is the biggest problem I have and i feel its the root cause of my mental health issues: chronic loneliness. Seriously its so hard for me to make friends. I don't really have any "hobbies" as such, I'm 19. I have a part time job but only one or two women there for a relationship point of view, for friends they're all older than me and hardly speak any english. i didn't have any friends in secondary school so none i can get back in touch with etc. there's nothing in my area for people to meet up or make friends. I've tried using "friendship" apps, and all that ends up happening is gay men coming onto me. On apps like tinder i either never match or i do, the conversation goes after 5 mins and the girls just want one thing. what do i do? I've been like this for so many years now, I've nearly taken my life because of it, 3 times in fact, i just don't know how to climb out of this
I'm sorry you are feeling so low.

My suggestion is to look for things to do outside your home. This gives you the opportunity to build your social circle.
For example, look for sports activities such as Saturday/Sunday morning football; running clubs; ramblers groups; yoga classes, gym sessions.

Also, look for opportunities to be helpful. This could include charity shop volunteering; volunteering in a local library or local community group. Some places look for 'befrienders' who can be companions to people living alone or to give a full-time carer respite for a couple of hours to run errands etc. As your job is part-time you have some flexibility plus volunteer hours are very negotiable.

Another option is to look for new educational opportunities such as evening classes in a new language or craft.

It does take time to make new friends. Be open to friendships with people of all ages. Perhaps these social connections will in time introduce you to others your own age. As time passes & you become a regular at these new activities people will look forward to seeing you. The more things you do, the more interesting conversations you can have when you meet new people.
It's good to learn to enjoy your own company.Maybe go outside and chill in some open spaces. Fresh air and people surrounding you might make you feel less lonely.
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
It's good to learn to enjoy your own company.Maybe go outside and chill in some open spaces. Fresh air and people surrounding you might make you feel less lonely.

Honestly this ^^.

It's taken me long enough to get to the position of being happy by myself, but I'm lucky enough to live in North Wales where I can just spend all day outside in amazing surroundings, it really clears your mind. Probably wouldn't start pursuing a relationship until you're comfortable with yourself, I think you need to have that solid base so you're not loading too many of your problems onto a potential partner. Working on yourself physically can be really great for doing that, assuming you're able-bodied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending