The Student Room Group

my boyfriends toxic parents

I’ve been with my boyfriend for years , I’m 20 he’s 19, We used to be long distance but I moved over to his area on my own due to a bad time at my family home. I’m close with his family cuz of this although they are very confusing and don’t really like me. There’s been times where things have been said in the past, but today was really bad. His mum and dad called us in the kitchen for a talk. They said that my boyfriend has no motivation and ever since he met me he’s gone down hill which we both know isn’t true. They told him where I work isn’t a “Proper or good enough job” I have 2 jobs one is a restaurant and one is cleaning. It was a quick choice off jobs for the time being. They told me that I came over to the area with negative baggage, they told me that my boyfriend was cool before he met me and now he’s changed. They called me demanding and told me I rely on my boyfriend when I certainly do not. They said I am different” I don’t come from the same as them . I was told by his mum that my boyfriend spends too much time with me and that cuz off me she never sees him. His father shouted at me for looking at a notification on my phone while he was talking to my bf about work and how he needs to do better . He Told me to get off my F*cking phone” so my bf told him to leave me alone. They then told me that as I’m not on the pill that they are fuming and I have no motivation to be on it when I have explained to them that it makes me sick and makes me ill. I told them my mum had told me to come off it as it made me ill and they said f*ck ur mum” “your going on the pill or the implant we had told them we use condoms and that we are careful and we would get rid off it if I were to be pregnant which would not happen anyways and I should not be explaining to them!!I dont even want kids and I am 20. This is my own body! I should not be told by other people what I should and shouldn’t do. His dad has said that he knows where are relationship is going to end up and that he had them same thing when we had young. He said that I strangle my bf as I’m with him too much. At this point I was crying and they asked me why I was crying and that I shouldn't be and that I don’t wanna hear what an adult says and I don’t take things right. Even tho I talk to adults all the time, they told my boyfriend that he should ignore female emotion. There was so much more said that I’m defo missing out on but they then tried to act nice at the end and told us they aren’t being mean. When they clearly were. What an earth do I do about this. I am so upset by this.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
So why did you stay and listen to this, and why wasn't your boyfriend speaking up? How do his parents even know about your choice of contraception?

You're both adults and they are bullies. Limit your interaction with them and if you have to have contact, both of you should stand up to them.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
So why did you stay and listen to this, and why wasn't your boyfriend speaking up? How do his parents even know about your choice of contraception?

You're both adults and they are bullies. Limit your interaction with them and if you have to have contact, both of you should stand up to them.

I Honeslty asked to leave twice , I said I don’t have to listen to that can I please go while crying and they said no you will be an adult and listen if you go that’s it I did try

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending