Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oyster cards + 16-25 Railcards... Confused! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok. So I've just bought a 16 to 25 Railcard. Browsing around the site, I've found this...

Oyster (Transport for London) - Get your Railcard discount loaded on to your Oyster card to save 1/3 on the daily cap on pay as you go
    Does this mean it's a 3rd off my daily cap? (Yes, I know that's what it says, but the oyster system confuses me!) Like.. for example, if I get on and off the buses however many times it takes to reach my cap (3?), that cap is then a third off on top of my normal oyster savings?

If so, how do I get the railcard and the oyster card joined?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a normal oyster card on pay as you go, not a student one.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, never knew about that...
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx
    Wonder if they do it for 16+ Oysters too :p: I doubt a "rail" card will work for buses though...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. <3

ReputationRep:
    So, according to that site, it doesn't apply to al oyster journeys, just train/tube journeys?

ReputationRep:
    Just tube journeys, and probably some train journeys, not sure. Does make sense though, seeing as how you're putting a railcard onto it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I discovered this a few months ago, just go to a tube ticket office with your oyster and your railcard, fill out a form, and the man will 'upgrade' your oyster card, so to speak. I know that whereas tube travel in zones 1-3 (where I live) would normally cost £5.60 or something, I always cap at £3.50, and maybe something like £2 for the bus only. So well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygroth)
    Just tube journeys, and probably some train journeys, not sure. Does make sense though, seeing as how you're putting a railcard onto it :p:
    Yeah, I got that. xD But it didn't specify whether it was rail/tube journeys on oyster or not, so I was checking!

ReputationRep:
    oo im gona have to try this tomorrow as im spending soooooo much traveling to placement but i thought i could either use my 16-25 rail card OR my 18+ oyster. had no idea i could combine them. Wish someone had told me back in september 2010 lol xx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, all you need to do is have your oyster card registered (if you ordered it online it's already done) and if not it's just a short form to do and then go to the office at any tube station and they just add on your rail card. It's super great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    Ok. So I've just bought a 16 to 25 Railcard. Browsing around the site, I've found this...

Does this mean it's a 3rd off my daily cap? (Yes, I know that's what it says, but the oyster system confuses me!) Like.. for example, if I get on and off the buses however many times it takes to reach my cap (3?), that cap is then a third off on top of my normal oyster savings?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I have a normal oyster card on pay as you go, not a student one.
    See below for how to get your railcard onto your oyster card. The discount you get is 1/3'd off travel costs on the Tube, London Overground and National Rail services within London at off peak times. Off peak times are from 9:30am-4pm, and then after 7pm.

ReputationRep:
    Is this different than purchasing the 18+ Student Oyster Card? I have the student oyster card, but not a student rail card. Is it worth getting both?

ReputationRep:
    how do i use an oyster card that you top up? do i just go to the gates and touch in or do i have to buy a ticket for my journey as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess_perfect786)
    how do i use an oyster card that you top up? do i just go to the gates and touch in or do i have to buy a ticket for my journey as well?
    you put money on at a ticket machine, then you touch in and out at the barriers (or if there arent barriers look out for the reader- the top is yellow)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)

Yes.

Take your oyster and railcard to a London underground ticket office and ask them to link them.

It is a great discount if you travel a lot in London off peak

ReputationRep:
    I need to renew my railcard, do I need to register it with my oystercard again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace_please)
    I need to renew my railcard, do I need to register it with my oystercard again?
    yes

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.