The Student Room Group

Child won’t sleep. Who is being unfair?

Me and my partner have a 15 month old, and a 6 year old. The 15 month old has never slept well despite our best efforts (the 6 year old has always had an amazing routine).

Long story short he wakes up 3/4 times in the night usually for less that 2/3 minutes. Then he wakes at 5:30 for the day. This is driving my partner insane she’s literally going psycho when he wakes up. I work full time but she’s currently long term off work so she deals with the baby 6 nights per week and we have a night each on the weekend. She thinks it’s unfair that I don’t do more in the morning to help.

Should I be doing more? I tell her to rest in the day but she’s usually out with her mum or grandma as she says it’s easier than being stuck in the house.. which I agree with but at least she can choose what she does with her day and isn’t in work.

I need some opinions please! Thank you
Go to parenting classes. And tap into basic emotions such as empathy for your own child. It's not a hot potato. It's a baby.

A baby is only crying for a few reasons. Hunger, sleepy but needs coddling (it is a baby after all), it soiled itself, or it's bored. Otherwise it needs immediate medical attention. What exactly is the problem. That poor baby is suffering and you're asking about fair and unfair and the mum legs it half the time. Good Christ what is planet earth nowadays.
Reply 2
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Go to parenting classes. And tap into basic emotions such as empathy for your own child. It's not a hot potato. It's a baby.

A baby is only crying for a few reasons. Hunger, sleepy but needs coddling (it is a baby after all), it soiled itself, or it's bored. Otherwise it needs immediate medical attention. What exactly is the problem. That poor baby is suffering and you're asking about fair and unfair and the mum legs it half the time. Good Christ what is planet earth nowadays.

Oh wow. Either you really misread the post or I didn’t make myself very clear 😄! We’re very good parents, if I do say so myself. There’s not much we get wrong. This topic is more regarding sleep deprivation over almost 18 months. We’re at a point neither of us have slept very well for such a long time that when he wakes up we are struggling to get up with him and that causes issues between us because we each need to sleep. People like you really baffle me, do you get get off on writing stuff like this 🤣
Original post by DavidACA96
Oh wow. Either you really misread the post or I didn’t make myself very clear 😄! We’re very good parents, if I do say so myself. There’s not much we get wrong. This topic is more regarding sleep deprivation over almost 18 months. We’re at a point neither of us have slept very well for such a long time that when he wakes up we are struggling to get up with him and that causes issues between us because we each need to sleep. People like you really baffle me, do you get get off on writing stuff like this 🤣

Nope. Didn't misread ****. People like you baffle me actually. Like I said a baby is only crying for a few reasons, it's not brain surgery and shouldn't take long to get yourself or the baby back to bed. And again like I said take yourself to a freaking parental/relationship therapist or take the baby to the freaking hospital to see what's wrong with the kid why it keeps waking up. Maybe you should try reading what I said because your response was quite obnoxious and obtuse 😬😬👍
Reply 4
Original post by DavidACA96
Me and my partner have a 15 month old, and a 6 year old. The 15 month old has never slept well despite our best efforts (the 6 year old has always had an amazing routine).

Long story short he wakes up 3/4 times in the night usually for less that 2/3 minutes. Then he wakes at 5:30 for the day. This is driving my partner insane she’s literally going psycho when he wakes up. I work full time but she’s currently long term off work so she deals with the baby 6 nights per week and we have a night each on the weekend. She thinks it’s unfair that I don’t do more in the morning to help.

Should I be doing more? I tell her to rest in the day but she’s usually out with her mum or grandma as she says it’s easier than being stuck in the house.. which I agree with but at least she can choose what she does with her day and isn’t in work.

I need some opinions please! Thank you

I think if your partner is thinking it's unfair that you aren't doing more in the morning then it probably is. She is probably using the word unfair as code for she's struggling and needs more help. It's pretty tough to deal with a 15 month old with no sleep and also a 6 year old.

You both need to talk to each other and work out something that works better for both of you. It's easy to say to rest during the day but things come up so it's not always possible, plus you want her to be able to leave the house and see family or do something fun with the kids.
yes, you should be doing more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending