The Student Room Group

deleted

deleted
(edited 1 year ago)
This isn’t an FOI request. It’s a standard enquiry.

If you want formal qualification equivalence then pay for the NARIC service
Original post by Thanks4helping
Do universities provide for Foi requests for international degree equivalency? Eg I want to request them if a US GPA of 3.2= 2:1 UK honours, if a university publishes that US GPA 3.0= 2:2 UK but did not clearly state 2:1

Hi @Thanks4helping!

I’d recommend contacting the uni that you wish to apply to directly to see what their specific requirements are for the qualifications that you have.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with it :smile:

- Tineke
Lancaster Physics Graduate
If I ask the "country manager" (university's own staff who manages certain countries) about the degree equivalency and they tell me this, am I like going behind the admissions back?

No, that's literally part of their job.

Just ask specific questions, ("I'm trying to determine whether my grade is a high/low 2:1 or a 1st. I appreciate this is only one aspect of the application that is considered, but am trying to determine how strong a candidate I might be..." or somesuch.
Can the country manager or university admissions choose not to tell me this, and to just "submit an application"?

If candidates send academic transcript to determine if it is 2:1, 1st before making an application, is it admissions job to assess this?

Yes they can tell you no

No they aren’t under any obligation to do a complex assessment of qualifications for someone who can’t even be bothered to fill in an application form.

If you want a statement of comparability for qualifications then pay NARIC for one. This is what a university will do after you apply.
Can the country manager or university admissions choose not to tell me this, and to just "submit an application"?

They can just refer you back to their public equivalency information, yes.
If candidates send academic transcript to determine if it is 2:1, 1st before making an application, is it admissions job to assess this?

Many unis will expressly not provide this kind of pre-assessment before an application.

If you do contact them, you need to explain clearly why the publicly available info has not answered your query.
Unless the university in question has a file stating the grade comparison for your specific university GPA then a FoI won’t have any results.

Universities will use naric to benchmark non uk universities and qualifications. They’ll do this on a case by case basis after an applicant has submitted an application.

FoI wouldn’t grant you access to that benchmarking from an individual previous applicant.

Just submit an application or don’t. Enquirers who refuse to submit an application while bombarding staff with queries and FoI requests will be considered time wasters.
Does benchmarking mean anything if naric does not provide the grade equivalency?

The university say they have a database similar to naric. Can foi state that anything above GPA 3.2 is UK 2:1?

A request for that kind of breakdown is likely to be refused on the grounds of being commercially sensitive info. The GPA conversion might also be specific to your uni, (or a category that it falls under), so you'd have to be very specific with your Q in order to get anything of use.

As above, just ask the recruiting manager for the country. Much quicker and easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending