The Student Room Group

Should i start studying for gcses in yr 9?

Nah dont say ‘bruh chill ur in yr 9 just focus in class’

I wanna make flashcards of every lesson notes so then at the end imma have covered the whole of yr 9 in flashcards and can use that in yr 10 and 11; tho idk if my skl starts gcse stuff in yr 9?? Ill probs know soon. Then in yr 10 id use the specification to revise

Pls send a good ans in saying if i should and what should i do
Ty bye
There's no point in year 9 as you havnt started on the specification yet. So you don't know what you need to do
Reply 2
Nah I can see the spec online
Idk if imma start studying gcse in yr 9 or not ill try update if i do

Ty tho

Original post by _Robyn_
There's no point in year 9 as you havnt started on the specification yet. So you don't know what you need to do
Reply 3
There’s a few things you can do:

1) Have a look on line at the curriculum of the subjects you want to take. AQA etc have websites listing them.

2) Find a way to learn revise and recall information that works for you. Things like flash cards, mind maps, loci method, Roman room method, visualisation, journey methods etc. practice them and use the ones that work for you.

3) Have a look at Howard Gardeners multiple intelligences. There’s free tests online. It will tell you how best you learn. For instance I’m linguistic intelligent so find writing things down helps. Another area would be dance - in this case walking around saying the info would help.

4) For things like maths make sure you really good at your times tables, prime nos, get the basics down pat.

5) Find some good You Tube channels on the subjects you are going to study.

6) Set up a study area at home if you can. Have everything you need around you and in easy reach. If you can set it up like an exam table the better.

7. Try using smells to help you recall - such as peppermint or lavender essence. Just some drops of essential oils on a tissue to sniff.

8) Have a look at how the brain actually learns and recalls/ memorises.

9). Find ways to deal with the stress - do a sport, meditate, have down time. It’s about finding a balance.

10). Lastly it is vital to remember long term gain over short term gain. The next years will pass quickly. Make learning and passing your exams your job.

Good luck and enjoy learning.
Reply 4
Omg tysm
These r great tips
I’ve already basically done all of them except for the 3rd point
But do you think i should go ahead with my plan? (As in flashcard yr 9 and do spec in yr 10)?
Reply 5
I think any prep you can do will benefit you. Use your year 9 to get used to studying, revising and recall plus relaxing. Don’t burn out, you need to balance it. Go with your gut feeling.

I presume you still have end of term and end of year exams, so prep for those like you would your GCSEs.
Original post by Idk305

I’m getting a very rude tone from you.. idk if it’s just me. Obviously the default answer would be this - and tbh it looks like since you don’t want this advice then you’ve already made up your mind.
hi! going into y12 and here are my tips,
in my school we start GCSEs in y9 so we do start earlier, but in my personal opinion i would start some form of revision,
I wouldn’t nessicarily go and learn the new spec yet as you haven’t started, but I would defo start learning revision ‘techniques’ for your current content. This is so you can learn what style works best for you before it starts getting real and it matters. I didn’t do this and I found it hard to know what method worked- so defo test out different ways such as revision cards, quizzes, posters etc.
Good luck!!
Reply 8
Okay tysmmm I’ll start revising for tests like the way i would revise for gcses
Reply 9
Nobody asked.

If u wanna say something good, say it, but if u wanna be rude, shush.
Reply 10
Tysm will definitely do
The reason why people say to chill in year 9 is because you haven’t started the specification yet so you don’t know what you’re studying. Frankly you’re wasting your time making notes based off what you learn in class.

Even if you self learn, you’re not really going to fully understand it until your teachers have taught it. Have your teachers given you the exam board books you get for GCSEs?

For revision, what worked best for me was YouTube, past papers (the most important thing), revision cards and exam technique.

Honestly just wait
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk305
Omg tysm
These r great tips
I’ve already basically done all of them except for the 3rd point
But do you think i should go ahead with my plan? (As in flashcard yr 9 and do spec in yr 10)?

Flashcards aren't relevant for all subjects and you can waste a lot of time making them.

For Maths - practising questions is the way to go.
My schools a weird school and started our 3 Science GCSE's lessons at Christmas of year 9. We move up a year in May though so we start the rest of the GCSE lessons in May where as everyone does them in September once in year 10. I know this is random information you didn't ask for but I just wanted to say that there isn't really a correct time to start them. I say the earlier the better and I recommend before you start the GCSE lessons to just have a quick look through and so that you know what you are going to looking at.
I think Science would be a good one to make flash cards on. For your GCSEs you need to learn like a billion equations especially for physics!
I don't think you have chosen your options yet have you? I'd start thinking about that so you know which subjects to study for because there is no point studying for history for example if you aren't taking that for GCSEs

Edit: just wanted to add, you would have to be good at self learning. I find self learning easy but every one has different ways of learning
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk305

I wanna make flashcards of every lesson notes so then at the end imma have covered the whole of yr 9 in flashcards and can use that in yr 10 and 11; tho idk if my skl starts gcse stuff in yr 9?? Ill probs know soon. Then in yr 10 id use the specification to revise

Pls send a good ans in saying if i should and what should i do
Ty bye

Heya!
Any prep in advance is a good habit to develop early on! You could organise your tie by making a timetable or just have a look through the material in advance - flick through books (if you have them) and just see what's ahead of you! I'd say it's a bit too early for flashcards since you haven't gone through the material yet but you can already google free resources online that you can save for later. To start you off here is Study Mind with free resources and blogs if it helps!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 15
Based on all your answers (ty), this is my plan:
- if we are doing spec, make flashcards
- if we aren't doing spec, revise, research (websites, tips, techniques etc.) and practice techniques

I have basically done the second point but I can always do more.

Tysm for all the answers guys! Lemme know if this plan is fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest