Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are any other colleges finding it increasingly difficult to get students to attend JCR meetings?

If so how are you combatting it?

If not, what do you do to keep people coming back?

There seems to be, to me at least, a general feeling of antipathy to JCR meetings, and we're finding it a challenge to combat.

Thanks for any feedback guys!

:five:

ReputationRep:
    We have LOADS of problems. If you find a solution, by all means let me know. We try to make meetings a bit more fun by having free cans of beer/soft drinks and there's also a raffle at each meeting with various prizes.

ReputationRep:
    This is at Oxford, but I assume the idea still applies. Our JCR buys large amounts of pizza and the JCR secretary also cooks two large cakes. This seems to ensure a pretty good turnout each meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    We have LOADS of problems. If you find a solution, by all means let me know. We try to make meetings a bit more fun by having free cans of beer/soft drinks and there's also a raffle at each meeting with various prizes.
    Yeah, we've got that...

ReputationRep:
    Pizza is a pretty good idea. The problem is that we have our meetings just after dinner. I guess this needn't be a problem as most people would eat pizza anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    This is at Oxford, but I assume the idea still applies. Our JCR buys large amounts of pizza and the JCR secretary also cooks two large cakes. This seems to ensure a pretty good turnout each meeting.
    Sounds like a possible idea (depending on funding). How many attend/are need at your meetings for them to be quorate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Sounds like a possible idea (depending on funding). How many attend/are need at your meetings for them to be quorate?
    I have no idea what our quorum numbers are, but the room we use is almost always full. I know the pizza costs add up though.

ReputationRep:
    £5 fine if you don't have a good reason for not going seems to get the crowds in here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Are any other colleges finding it increasingly difficult to get students to attend JCR meetings?

If so how are you combatting it?

If not, what do you do to keep people coming back?

There seems to be, to me at least, a general feeling of antipathy to JCR meetings, and we're finding it a challenge to combat.

Thanks for any feedback guys!

:five:
    Might be better if they didn't hold them Sunday evenings - quite a lot of people have things to do. Also they should cut out the exec reports - most of them are much ado about nothing.

Did the last meeting get cancelled then for being under quorate? Oh - are you voting against the new constitution that the exec haven't bothered to have a proper debate on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobo3)
    £5 fine if you don't have a good reason for not going seems to get the crowds in here.
    This is within the power of our constiution, however, I feel that enforced democracy is no democracy at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Yeah, we've got that...
    We haven't got the free booze - in fact drinking in a JCR meeting is more expensive than the college bar as they force you to buy bottles. If the bottle bar went to £1 drinks for the JCR meetings + free soft drinks then we might get more people though the doors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    This is within the power of our constiution, however, I feel that enforced democracy is no democracy at all.
    It isn't really democratic anyway! The exec make most of the decisions - all we do is "vote" people in.

ReputationRep:
    I think our JCR is as 'democratic' as it can get. Certainly, the exec tries to do whatever it can to address student concerns within the constraints and framework of the JCR constitution, college rules and regulations and time available.

But yeah, there is a similar problem with attendence at Mildert. I realise that it takes a lot of effort, but personally I think making meetings more entertaining and having positive reasons for attending is the way forward. In my first year, I enjoyed coming to them because there was usually someone or something musical announcing agenda items, free stuff and some gimmicks every now and then within the different items to add variety.

Having said that, there's probably quite a few reasons for why people aren't coming along - perception issues, being too long and/or too boring, time and location, etc.

But it seems that the past couple of DSU Council meetings have been quite well attended!
    And the DSU never does anything right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobo3)
    That is discusting. How does that effect livers out?

ReputationRep:
    Quoracy at HB is about 70 people. Ha ha, imagine if Hild Bede tried to enforce the £5 fine. We'd certainly make a lot of money, or at least be OWED a lot. And what if everyone did actually turn up ... God knows where we'd put them ...

HMK, how would you improve JCR democracy? The exec ARE elected (and they may not always be the best candidates but that is the nature of the beast), and there are meetings at which motions can be proposed and voted in. If more people went to JCR meetings it would be "better" democracy, but then, if people choose not to go then that's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    That is discusting. How does that effect livers out?
    I dno, I think it's pretty fair tbh, if you have a good reason for not going then you can be excused, but if you haven't got anything else on you should go anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at York and we have much smaller JCR committees, but we manage to maintain fairly good turnout.

We make sure the atmosphere is friendly and everyone is approchable, and we have fairly regular socials that people only know about via the meetings, so if you don't go to the meetings, you don't go on the socials. Given that we travel to places like Leeds and get VIP entrance into clubs, this is something most of the students are clamouring for. It helps that everyone was elected onto the committee and definitely wanted to be involved =)

We can also no confidence people that are really rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what is my incentive to pay the JCR fee (I just got a letter through the post) seeing as I have always lived out and am not involved in any of the Cuths activities...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Quoracy at HB is about 70 people. Ha ha, imagine if Hild Bede tried to enforce the £5 fine. We'd certainly make a lot of money, or at least be OWED a lot. And what if everyone did actually turn up ... God knows where we'd put them ...
    Imagine if we at the DSU tried that - in one meeting we could clear our entire deflicit. I think most people would happily pay £5 not to attend tbh...

You could bill most of these people through their college bills - failing that not allow them to graduate.
    HMK, how would you improve JCR democracy? The exec ARE elected (and they may not always be the best candidates but that is the nature of the beast), and there are meetings at which motions can be proposed and voted in. If more people went to JCR meetings it would be "better" democracy, but then, if people choose not to go then that's their choice.
    For exec elections do them blind - as in candidates get a manifesto and that's it. Then you would not have people being elected on seniority or being a member of the rugby club etc.

As for the meetings themselves - bribes normally work. We are students after all. Best of all by using bribes - people of a more normal background are more likely to show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Guys, what is my incentive to pay the JCR fee (I just got a letter through the post) seeing as I have always lived out and am not involved in any of the Cuths activities...
    In theory if you did not pay then you would not be allowed to use your own college bar etc. Plus you wouldn't get Cuth's on your degree certificate. (certain members of Aidan's have deliberately done this - why they haven't been named and shamed is beyond me)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.