Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Stop them always being on a Sunday evening.
    Other colleges vary the day of the week - if Aidan's did that, then you'd always have some people not able to attend, but you wouldn't have (as we do now) some people never able to attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Stop them always being on a Sunday evening.
    Other colleges vary the day of the week - if Aidan's did that, then you'd always have some people not able to attend, but you wouldn't have (as we do now) some people never able to attend.
    Agreed. Might be worth sticking forth as a motion - though I doubt certain members of the exec can be bothered to be receptive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Imagine if we at the DSU tried that - in one meeting we could clear our entire deflicit. I think most people would happily pay £5 not to attend tbh...

You could bill most of these people through their college bills - failing that not allow them to graduate.

For exec elections do them blind - as in candidates get a manifesto and that's it. Then you would not have people being elected on seniority or being a member of the rugby club etc.

As for the meetings themselves - bribes normally work. We are students after all. Best of all by using bribes - people of a more normal background are more likely to show.
    It's a good idea in many ways, but I do think personality plays quite a big part in any exec position - by this I mean that the exec must be friendly, approachable, responsible and generally able to handle looking after freshlets and students who need help. Also, I would argue that part of the manifesto is outlining things you've already done for college (to prove commitment/responsibility), in which case people would generally be able to guess who people are anyway. I agree that it's **** when people get elected because they got, say, the rowing club on their side, but I think it's difficult to avoid that kind of thing.

If people had to pay £5 not to attend DSU meetings then perhaps we could clear some of our debt ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    It's a good idea in many ways, but I do think personality plays quite a big part in any exec position - by this I mean that the exec must be friendly, approachable, responsible and generally able to handle looking after freshlets and students who need help. Also, I would argue that part of the manifesto is outlining things you've already done for college (to prove commitment/responsibility), in which case people would generally be able to guess who people are anyway. I agree that it's **** when people get elected because they got, say, the rowing club on their side, but I think it's difficult to avoid that kind of thing.
    Depends what you allow people to put in a manifesto in the first place - really what there should be is clear minimum requirements for a position, then the manifesto itself can focus on ideas. Also any candidate who manages to get themselves revealed should be immediately disqualified. The other option would be to bar people voting for those in their own clubs or societies within college, which would be perfectly fair imo.
    If people had to pay £5 not to attend DSU meetings then perhaps we could clear some of our debt ...
    We would clear it in a few meetings - every couple of weeks we would have £70,000 coming in.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you allow people to put in a manifesto in the first place - really what there should be is clear minimum requirements for a position, then the manifesto itself can focus on ideas. Also any candidate who manages to get themselves revealed should be immediately disqualified. The other option would be to bar people voting for those in their own clubs or societies within college, which would be perfectly fair imo.

We would clear it in a few meetings - every couple of weeks we would have £70,000 coming in.
    But that would punish those in large societies, which is also kind of unfair. What do you mean by "minimum requirements for a position"? And how would people know if a candidate were socially inept or really shy? I mean, I know to do their specific role they wouldn't necessarily need mad social skillz but being on an exec is way more than that, particularly during times like Freshers' Fortnight and in meetings like College Council and Finance Committee. Also, if, say, someone had experience directly relevant to the role (someone standing for treasurer last time had worked for PwC in her gap year), should they not be allowed to put it because those who knew about the gap year would know and probably tell others? I appreciate that exec elections are FAR from perfect, but I don't think it's that easy to change them in a way that's fair to all.

ReputationRep:
    But that would punish those in large societies, which is also kind of unfair.
    Not really - under the current system being a member of a large society is a huge advantage.
    What do you mean by "minimum requirements for a position"?
    Something quantifiable - e.g. for Senior DSU rep having attended X meetings or having held a reasonably senior position within the organisation. Ideally these people would have been on the committee before standing to be exec.
    And how would people know if a candidate were socially inept or really shy? I mean, I know to do their specific role they wouldn't necessarily need mad social skillz but being on an exec is way more than that, particularly during times like Freshers' Fortnight and in meetings like College Council and Finance Committee.
    If one of these people didn't learn social skills to a reasonable level after being put on the exec - I would be amazed frankly. Also I would be really shocked if someone could not handle a meeting with a few people in tbh, it would be very unlikely. Asides how someone appears in public does not correlate to the ability of someone to deal with a meeting - in fact politics shows that those with poor social skills / shy tend to be the best at it. Look at Gordon Brown as an example - exactly the sort of person we would want in an exec position.
    Also, if, say, someone had experience directly relevant to the role (someone standing for treasurer last time had worked for PwC in her gap year), should they not be allowed to put it because those who knew about the gap year would know and probably tell others? I appreciate that exec elections are FAR from perfect, but I don't think it's that easy to change them in a way that's fair to all.
    I think it would be brilliant if it were banned tbh - many of these people who have had the chance to get on these projects / schemes have done so due to who they know - not merit.

ReputationRep:
    In theory if you did not pay then you would not be allowed to use your own college bar etc. Plus you wouldn't get Cuth's on your degree certificate. (certain members of Aidan's have deliberately done this - why they haven't been named and shamed is beyond me)
    Who has named and shamed them? Not disputing it but it's stupid to do so. The JCR fee is a lot considering you have to pay to go to JCR events. When I lived in intercollegiate University of London Halls, the JCR paid for everything. Not sure I'd want my college to be on my certificate since no teaching is done in college and everyone in each discipline takes the exams, so it's hardly like the days of Oxford who had different exams at each college for given subjects.

I'd like an audit in how the JCR fees are spent tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Who has named and shamed them?
    No one as of yet - really they should be named and shamed, if not only to socially isolate those rah's who are doing it in such a way it takes the piss out of the rest of us.
    Not disputing it but it's stupid to do so. The JCR fee is a lot considering you have to pay to go to JCR events. When I lived in intercollegiate University of London Halls, the JCR paid for everything. Not sure I'd want my college to be on my certificate since no teaching is done in college and everyone in each discipline takes the exams, so it's hardly like the days of Oxford who had different exams at each college for given subjects.

I think most of the money goes on funding the sabbs and doing up parts of college (for example last year we didn't have the TV room or the pool tables), but they also subsidise student events quite a lot.

If you want the accounts - ask JV the treasurer, he should be able to get hold of them easily. They are audited every year as I understand it.

ReputationRep:
    I've found them rather boring so there not really worth going to.

ReputationRep:
    I find JCR meetings too long and boring to even contemplate attending. Also I'm leaving next year so I don't care who becomes our next Treasurer or Social Sec (oh and they are usually full of idiots asking stupid, irrelevant questions and trying to be funny).

My college has started offering to give money for each member of a college society to that society/club who attends the JCR meeting. This is no incentive to me.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thanks for all the comments so far. for those of you that find them boring could you say why, and also what you think couyld be done to make them less boring for you?

With regards the Sunday issue, yeah this is a problem,. I shall mention it. However, I fancy nothing would be done as it's probably only likely to reduce attendance putting the meeting on another day....

ReputationRep:
    Who has named and shamed them? Not disputing it but it's stupid to do so. The JCR fee is a lot considering you have to pay to go to JCR events. When I lived in intercollegiate University of London Halls, the JCR paid for everything. Not sure I'd want my college to be on my certificate since no teaching is done in college and everyone in each discipline takes the exams, so it's hardly like the days of Oxford who had different exams at each college for given subjects.

The accounts are probably presented once a year - they are at HB. The JCR fee isn't that much, surely? At HB it's a one-off £40 and goes towards subsidising events (especially the summer ball!) and things like buying a Wii and pool table for our bar and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    The accounts are probably presented once a year - they are at HB. The JCR fee isn't that much, surely? At HB it's a one-off £40 and goes towards subsidising events (especially the summer ball!) and things like buying a Wii and pool table for our bar and things like that.
    Problem is they charge the full whack in the first year, which is £120. How many people make use of it when living out I'm not sure. The profits from the pool table are being used to buy a games console. They should get Guitar Hero. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Problem is they charge the full whack in the first year, which is £120. How many people make use of it when living out I'm not sure. The profits from the pool table are being used to buy a games console. They should get Guitar Hero. :yep:
    £120!? Wow. It's literally a one-off at HB, not once per year. I'm sure they do use it for Important Things though. Actually, GH is a good idea - it's out on the Wii now, isn't it? Maybe I'll suggest that ...

ReputationRep:
    £120?! That's quite high. I've just noticed that Mildert's has gone up to £65ish, I'm pretty sure it was only £40ish in my first year. I guess you must get a bit more subsidised from your JCR.

ReputationRep:
    £120!? Wow. It's literally a one-off at HB, not once per year. I'm sure they do use it for Important Things though. Actually, GH is a good idea - it's out on the Wii now, isn't it? Maybe I'll suggest that ...
    If every college did that we could have a competition. Before I came to Durham I was playing on hard. I bet when I return for Christmas I'll have some brushing up to do.

* plays Top Gun theme :cool: *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmerm)
    £120?! That's quite high. I've just noticed that Mildert's has gone up to £65ish, I'm pretty sure it was only £40ish in my first year. I guess you must get a bit more subsidised from your JCR.
    Possibly. When you take into account of buying books, because our library doesn't understand the concept of reference books for core texts, you realise how expensive university can be let alone the cost of accomodation and tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell (with the possible exception of lawyer-y types) needs to buy books/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Who the hell (with the possible exception of lawyer-y types) needs to buy books/
    English students. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic hybrid)
    English students. :o:
    What on earth could books possibly have to do with english :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.