Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmerm)
    What on earth could books possibly have to do with english :confused:
    I've got so much free time that I use them to build forts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Who the hell (with the possible exception of lawyer-y types) needs to buy books/
    Maths types. Its useful to have a few Schaum's outlines on your desk.

ReputationRep:
    JCR's are nowt but talking shops. They can't effect any real change... Hell, they can't even alter the woeful mealtime arrangements that have evolved here at Collingwood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    JCR's are nowt but talking shops. They can't effect any real change... Hell, they can't even alter the woeful mealtime arrangements that have evolved here at Collingwood.
    The Exec tend not to be a talking shop - in fact they tend to run things de facto...

ReputationRep:
    O rlly. In my mind they just get privileges, such as automatic formal tables, special provisions and awesome rooms, and some of them do **** all but bounce around wearing a yellow t-shirt telling me to visit the talking shop every other Sunday. Nofanx.

ReputationRep:
    At our last meeting, we voted to take ale off tap completely in our bar and it will probably be replaced by another lager. In another, we decided to buy a pool table and reduce the game price by 30p. Etc. Stuff does happen, but if you don't go you won't necessarily know about it! Once someone proposed that Hild Bede buy a "party bus", sadly it was not voted through though. Mealtimes are a difficult one because they're not really the domain of JCRs - you probably have a catering committee that you could bring it up with though.

Execs do a hell of a lot more work than you think, even in the dossy roles. They do at Hild Bede, anyway. We're quite underappreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I know 3 of the exec very well, as we're pretty good friends. The ones who seem to do lots are Welfare and the steering committee. Aside from that, it doesn't seem overwhelmingly difficult, and I'd suggest I spend more time in a week doing sports than they do fulfilling their roles. I'm not trying to be insulting, quite likely this does vary and depend entirely upon the person doing the position - some are slackers and get away with it though - sadly.

Catering committee used to exist, but it seems to have disappeared, along with rational thinking. Not brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    we voted to take ale off tap completely in our bar
    *******ssss.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I know 3 of the exec very well, as we're pretty good friends. The ones who seem to do lots are Welfare and the steering committee. Aside from that, it doesn't seem overwhelmingly difficult, and I'd suggest I spend more time in a week doing sports than they do fulfilling their roles. I'm not trying to be insulting, quite likely this does vary and depend entirely upon the person doing the position - some are slackers and get away with it though - sadly.

Catering committee used to exist, but it seems to have disappeared, along with rational thinking. Not brilliant!
    That's odd, I was on steering last year and did barely anything at all! At HB the ones with the most work are probably Deputy President, Treasurer, Ents Officer, Welfare and maybe Bar. Hatfield apparently has "Junior Treasurers" to help with the role - but I do it all by myself! Having said that, I don't think Hatfield has a sabbatical president whereas HB does and he does some financial stuff as well.

I don't think that many people on the exec could get away with not doing much - Environment and Livers Out could, and Chairman is quite a light workload, but the others have quite a lot. Even then, the whole exec have non-role-specific things to do like patrolling at formals and preparing for the ball for fecking ages beforehand and clearing up early in the morning after College Day and the balls. Thing is, a lot of people in HB think the exec is just a group of slackers getting shedloads of privileges, but I'd say the opposite is true!

ReputationRep:
    So you get negative privileges?

ReputationRep:
    I guess they get negative responsibilities ( like cleaning up after formals) but positive rewards (like a table) It did always annoy me though that 4 or 5 people on the exec would get a guarenteed table EACH (IE 12 spaces for their friends) especially for events like the Solstice where people queue overnight for about 20 tables (approx 240 seats totalfor a college of over 1000) I did used to think that either the exec get onetable to share or,if they want to sit with their friends, they queue like evryone else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychee)
    I guess they get negative responsibilities ( like cleaning up after formals) but positive rewards (like a table) It did always annoy me though that 4 or 5 people on the exec would get a guarenteed table EACH (IE 12 spaces for their friends) especially for events like the Solstice where people queue overnight for about 20 tables (approx 240 seats totalfor a college of over 1000) I did used to think that either the exec get onetable to share or,if they want to sit with their friends, they queue like evryone else!
    At HB we don't get guaranteed tables for balls or formals. I think it would almost be fair enough for balls because honestly, we do so much work for them. There's a weekend before the ball that we spend just painting/making decorations and waterproofing all the material. Then the night before the ball we start setting up from about 8pm, it goes on until about 3-4am, then we have to be back by 9am to continue and we work right up until the ball except for a short period of getting ready time. Then after the ball we have to be there at 9am to clear up. But we don't get any guaranteed tables/tickets for anything. At formals the patrollers get free food/wine, but that's fair enough really because they're essentially working. Ball Comm get to go to balls guaranteed and for free, but they get one table between them, or if one of them sits elsewhere they get their place for free but it's not guaranteed. I'd probably question the justice of that (although I'm on Ball Comm!).

We don't get negative privileges, but we work damned hard and especially in a role like Treasurer there isn't that much appreciation from students (though obviously I don't do it to get a pat on the back!). In Freshers' Fortnight quite a few people did come up and say they appreciated what all the Freps were doing, which was nice. The exec does get to go for a Christmas meal too, which should be fun

Oh, and the ale tap thing was because the ale kegs go off after three days and we never sell more than half so it's a waste. We'll still have bottled ale. It was a close vote though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.