Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finding Fitting Fitness in my schedule Hard + embarresment! watch

I'm a fat person... :rolleyes:
    I'm doing my a levels at the moment abut i'm finding it hard to find time to some excersize

I leave home at 7, only monday and thursday lunchtime i am free to go to gym in school and i go, but its not really enough, i got for 45 mins those days

after school no way i have time, i get home at 5 most days

on saturday i do 1 hour of sport which i've done for years this disrupts my work nowadays and i might need to quit it in order to do well in exams, sundays i dont have much time in between doing work
    and when i do have time, i cant really afford to go to the gym and this is where embarresment comes in, im not the sort of person that can just run on my road! it will be very embarresing and whilst doing it i would just be thinking that i should be doing some revision for january exams etc.

help !
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why don't you try and do some exercise of some sort at home? Even if it is just going for a quick run around the block.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like the problem is that you are overly stressed with your school work. You didn't mention anything about a job, being in a relationship, or any other time consuming things. You said even if you could run at home, you would be too busy thinking about schoolwork, and that doesn't sound healthy. I know exams and all are important, but so is taking care of yourself.

If time really is a factor, and if you actually are fat and not just saying it, diet can play a larger role than exercising. Losing weight is about 75% diet, and 25% exercise (or something like that). Maybe you can concentrate on your diet more. If you have a lot of stress (which it sounds like you do), not eating right can be an issue for most.

ReputationRep:
    Just to echo JaKoelsch's point, if you can't find the time or energy to exercise regularly enough - which can be a problem for a lot of me (including me at the moment volleyball twice as a week is half as much as I normally used to do) - you need to focus on a good diet. As long as you're eating well and doing a moderate amount of exercise (ie what you're doing now), you'll still be able to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle.

(Original post by JaKoelsch)
    It sounds like the problem is that you are overly stressed with your school work. You didn't mention anything about a job, being in a relationship, or any other time consuming things. You said even if you could run at home, you would be too busy thinking about schoolwork, and that doesn't sound healthy. I know exams and all are important, but so is taking care of yourself.

If time really is a factor, and if you actually are fat and not just saying it, diet can play a larger role than exercising. Losing weight is about 75% diet, and 25% exercise (or something like that). Maybe you can concentrate on your diet more. If you have a lot of stress (which it sounds like you do), not eating right can be an issue for most.
    the stressfullness of my school work and school in general means i comfort eat a lot, or just eat quite a lot of rubbish in between meals

ReputationRep:
    If you want something enough you will make time.

Feeling self concious at a gym is just stupid, no-one cares what you look like.

ReputationRep:
    The day doesn't end at 5pm you know. I'm often up the garage gym-ing it at 8-9pm because I'm at work until 5pm.

There are 24 hours in a day m'dear, and you may have to either stay up later, or get up earlier, but it's definitely doable.

ReputationRep:
    You need a plan, with a timeline and aims. You don't just "go to the gym" and lose weight. Well it helps and puts you in a frame of mind. Diet is a key factor as mentioned. Do cardio in the mornings before eating anything, if you can. Also give HIIT a go.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to find time if your only other commitments are schoolwork.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with others; it's not just about exercising.

If you struggle to monitor your eating habits, then I can personally recommend Weight Watchers Online - you don't have to go to meetings (which I found to be extremely patronising) and you can do all your food tracking online in the comfort of your own home. It's 10 pound a month and I've lost 18lbs so far and highly recommend it.

Again, it's not just about exercising - you can exercise all you like, but if you're still eating crap between meals, you're not going to lose weight AND still be unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    I have a job for 8 hours/week, go to the gym every few days, go out at least once every weekend, stay after 6th form for chess (I know!) once every one/two weeks, and spend time relaxing with games, films etc. Yet I still keep on top of work fairly easily, it just takes time management.

If all that's getting in your way is schoolwork, it sounds like you're just making excuses and looking for an easy solution tbh..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.