The Student Room Group

Need Help!

Hi,

I’m currently doing an AAT level 3 apprenticeship and have already completed first year of my Open University course prior.

I’m interested in studying part time while doing my apprenticeship. I need so much need advice on that decision but I need advice around funding.

I’ve been told I can’t do both because I wouldn’t be able to get funding for both however the OU have said you could but you’d need to speak to the college and employer.

I’m now thinking, if I just pay for the uni course I’m thinking of doing instead of getting a student loan, funding shouldn’t be a problem and I can just carry on?

Can any professionals please advise me whether this line of thought is correct?

Thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by luke7654
Hi,

I’m currently doing an AAT level 3 apprenticeship and have already completed first year of my Open University course prior.

I’m interested in studying part time while doing my apprenticeship. I need so much need advice on that decision but I need advice around funding.

I’ve been told I can’t do both because I wouldn’t be able to get funding for both however the OU have said you could but you’d need to speak to the college and employer.

I’m now thinking, if I just pay for the uni course I’m thinking of doing instead of getting a student loan, funding shouldn’t be a problem and I can just carry on?

Can any professionals please advise me whether this line of thought is correct?

Thank you!

Hi Luke,

Had you applied previously through our Advance Learner Loan team for funding for your level 3?

Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi Jason, no, I’m currently doing the apprenticeship now, funding from the government
Thanks Luke,

Based on what you've advised this should be fine based on the level you are studying. The assessors will review this accordingly once the application is processed.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Hi Jason,

I don’t understand? What do you mean by based on the level I’m studying. Can you explain a bit about the process. I know those in an apprenticeship can’t already be in full time education, do you know why that is?
Hi Jason,

I don’t understand? What do you mean by based on the level I’m studying. Can you explain a bit about the process. I know those in an apprenticeship can’t already be in full time education, do you know why that is?

Hi Luke,

The level of the apprenticeship would be a level 3 so because its not a level 4 onwards it should be fine and shouldn't have an impact as its not two forms of funding above level 4.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Hi Jason,

So this means if I did sign up to study part time at the OU again, the apprenticeship provider wouldn’t get some notification saying I’ve done it and disqualify me?
Hi Jason,

So this means if I did sign up to study part time at the OU again, the apprenticeship provider wouldn’t get some notification saying I’ve done it and disqualify me?

Hi Luke,

It shouldn't affect your funding from our side but you would need to double check with the apprenticeship provider regarding their rules to ensure it won't impact you from their side.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Thank you, I’ll have to call them
Thank you, I’ll have to call them

Anything further do let us know. Thanks, Jason
Reply 10
Brilliant, so for student finance, there’s no problem?
Brilliant, so for student finance, there’s no problem?

Hi Luke,

Not from what you have advised here, this wouldn't affect this.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 12
I just spoke to ESAF who fund apprenticeships and they said I can have funding for the apprenticeship and have funding for the OU if I was studying it part time and I can’t do an apprentice and be a full time student somewhere else because of the funding rules
I just spoke to ESAF who fund apprenticeships and they said I can have funding for the apprenticeship and have funding for the OU if I was studying it part time and I can’t do an apprentice and be a full time student somewhere else because of the funding rules

Hi Luke,

We cannot comment on their rules unfortunately, however I can advise that you can receive funding from SFE for the eligible course you are attending.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending