Turn on thread page Beta

applying as a pilot to RAF and RNAF? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    To the above poster:

May I ask what qualifies you to offer such advice and write-off the advice of others?
    You may not, I am offering a observation from what I have seen on this section of the website, at the end of the day as no one on here is actually an OASC boarding officer or a trained member of the AFCO team I find it rather interesting that POV are rammed down peoples throats and that the tone used is quite degrading.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to chill out. Bear in mind that this part of the website is "Armed Forces" - By nature, the Armed Forces is a much harsher world than the civilian one, therefore you can expect the advice offered to be of a similar nature.

I've not been a member for long, but I was reading something that Wzz said to somebody who had been knocked back from OASC, his advice was so-absolutely-spot-on that I recall saying to myself "You are so right! I want to buy you a pint."

Personally, I see no problems with anything offered here. Yes, there is sarcasm. Yes, there is some bluntness, but in a world where what you do saves and takes lives, you need to have a bit of an unconvential attitude. Different people, different opinions, different things, live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_b)
    What a pretentious so & so! - I love the fact that this person feels they have the right to talk to people in this manner! From what I can gather this guy is in the RAF (cant believe that the RAF now need to recurit people with this elitist, arrogant, so far up there own back side attitude)
    That's a bit rich from you you pretentious so and so thinking you can come on here with 2 posts and claim you are better..... Wzz has not spoken in any manner, he's merely picked up on what i probably the correct answer. It stikes most of us that OP has thought 'I want to be a pilot and they offer it in all 3 services so I'll aplly to all 3' without really looking into to how they differ. Common mistake and we've all done it. Wzz just puts it in an informative and somewhat easy way to understand and hasn't berated the OP at all.

I used this forum for a few years, however when ever I go into a post there seems to be the same few people mocking, and nit-picking at other people who have turned to this website for help from appartently like minded people.
    No one mocks or nit picks. This is the Armed Forces, not 'cushty' civvy street. Better to get used to the way of life now rather than getting a shock on day 1! Better to have your English and grammar nit picked here rather than on your Bandar essay which actually counts for something....

If the guys who seem to be on this website each and every day, despite being in the RAF or otherwise, are fed up of helping people or repeating them selfs - then stop replying to the posts. If the people asking had any sense they would figure out the search facility and do it them selfs, but they dont need to as the answers are giving - but at the cost of some demeaning, sarcastic remark
    Sometimes sarcasm is called for, but help is always given.

The fact is people such as Wzz, Dowgly, TPD etc get cheap little thrills from *****ing at people - Oh watch your english, huf - why dont you search instead of asking. There is always a snidely comment to be made.
    Source? Where's the *****ing? Search brings up A LOT of answers. People who want a job badly need to learn to do the groundwork themselves, like they did in the days before TSR, Pprune, RumRation, Arrse etc.

And Carsomyr if you are reading this, take no notice of what they say. The fact that your are 22 and have only recently shown some interest will go against you - however only ever so slightly.
    Source Simon B?

OP, ignore this utter BS. Not everyone knows what they want to do until they graduate, and if you are interested in the Armed Forces now, that's brilliant. As long as you can justify your interest nothing will go against you. I have been accepted into the Army having only discovered it last year. I have never had to justify 'why it took me so long to become interested' - they were just keen to know I had the motivation.

If you can turn round and say - Hey you know what I am a bit older than others that are applying without a degree however after a few years working in a civivie job I can truely appricate the diverse working enivorment the RAF has to offer and I feel that I have developed loads of life exp etc.
    Civvy or Civvie not civivie
    Truly not truely
    Appreciate not appricate
    Environment not enivorment

And yes apply to the FAA if you want - the fact that you acknowledge that you are getting on a bit (for aircrew) is a disadvantage,
    Not really, the RAF takes aircrew up to 24, the FAA 26 and the Army 28. So at 22 NOT really a disadvantage.....

however you have sufficent maturity to plan in some contingency and dont want to narrow your chances further by delaying any applications by a further year. Perfectly reasonably.
    Sufficient not sufficent
    Don't not dont

Guys just think the way in which you talk to people may give a negative impression to some kid who has only just come online to get a bit of friendly advice. Also I can guarantee you that speaking they way you do to airman and NCO will go down will and re-enforce the idea that DE officers lack maturity and experience to manage effectively.
    Where are these DE officers you speak of? Last time I checked, Wzz had a degree as did TPD... in fact TPD probably now has a PHD!

Simon whoever you are - get a life. I don't here anyone else complaining about Wzz, TPD or Dagowly for that matter as they are ALL in a position where they are able to comment.

And OP, don't listen to him.

ReputationRep:
    You may not, I am offering a observation from what I have seen on this section of the website,
    Well you obviously hold no bearing so please refrain from commenting.

at the end of the day as no one on here is actually an OASC boarding officer or a trained member of the AFCO team I find it rather interesting that POV are rammed down peoples throats and that the tone used is quite degrading.

Use the search for goodness sakes..... or at least read the WHOLE Armed Forces section.

We have AFCO guys, OASC trained boarding officers and instructors at Halton on board; hardly deficient are we!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    The individual roles are very different too, although there's some crossover (obviously) in various RW roles and between the RAF and FAA Harrier communities. I mean, as an FAA pilot you have a large chance of ending up either in the CHF dropping off Marines, which is broadly similar to doing an RAF SH job, but ending up as the pilot on a frigate's only Lynx, or as a Sea King pinger, is very very different both operationally and in terms of lifestyle than any RAF job.
    Agreed. With the FAA, you have to remember that the Navy comes first, and you could well end up doing an Officer role with no flying on board a ship - sorry for my awful RN terminology, bit basically ships Captain to some degree....

That's what I wanted to get across to people who think the FAA's an immediate second choice. Yes, it's still a military flying job, but the whole setup and the life is very very different. Some love that, some don't mind, and I wouldn't say it was a bad thing (although it's not my idea of fun), but people should realise that it's not just an RAF that lets you grow a beard.
    Indeed. Spending 6 months on a ship..... even if you go Harrier!

As I say, my life's been that of an RAF officer, and I like the service, the stations, and the lifestyle. I'd rather stick with that than make a jump to something completely different and unknown that I'm assuming would be similar, just because it's still military. I hope you understand what I mean.
    Having looked at all 3, I can confirm they have their similarities but at the same time they're all very different.

Once I crack 2000 hours, I'd be infinitely more likely to move to an airline job than I would be to join another service.
    Kaching - someone's got to pay for the prvate educashun

Well, you could get away with it! You'd have to be honest, and say that you want to fly and that's it, so you're going RAF to FAA to AAC to private ballooning before you consider anything else. You'd have to tell the FAA you wanted pilot or nothing else, then if they rejected you, go back to the RAF saying you thought the FAA would be a good second choice but you've realised you really want to be in the RAF. You'd look slightly mad, but I doubt they'd fail you for it outright![/QUOTE]

No one minds concurrent applications. I had a friend who applied for RAF and FAA concurently and went to AIB/OASC within a week of each other. He got the RN letter first and waited a few weeks. Eventually he accepted because the were taking so long. He then got the offer and considered it but decided to stick with the FAA. I have another mate that was all geared up to start IOT and got the offer to go to Dartmouth instead and jumped ship pretty quick. The RAF didn't mind..... too much. People don't turn up to OASC and even day 1 of IOT. So I'm sure either service won't mind you saying no, or chopping and changing.

ReputationRep:
    lol....love it

From your perfectly balanced and objective response I feel that I have nothing more to add.

I just hope my main point that your attitude toward people hoping to find out a bit more about the Armed Forces is at least considered...guessing by the heated responses I feel that it is not something some that will be forgeten about soon.

I eagerly await my post corrected of spelling and grammer as this is of grave importance.

Kisses <3

ReputationRep:
    Bye! Come back soon!

ReputationRep:
    lol....love it

From your perfectly balanced and objective response I feel that I have nothing more to add.

I just hope my main point that your attitude toward people hoping to find out a bit more about the Armed Forces is at least considered...guessing by the heated responses I feel that it is not something some that will be forgeten about soon.

I eagerly await my post corrected of spelling and grammer as this is of grave importance.

Kisses <3
    Out.

ReputationRep:
    Jeeeesus i disappear for a day and look what happens to my thread! Haha, nevermind.
    In all honesty i cant really be bothered to comment on the above irrelevant comments. I completely understand everyone is welcome to their own opinions, comments and wit. I come on here to research and network to some extent, as is the nature of a forum, everyone always has a different way to contribute.

To Tomm_UK: Thanks for the advice and your MSN
    To Wzz: Thanks again for all the ongoing constructive advice and criticism. It is genuinely appreciated. Your first post did come across slightly brash but i am sure that is just your way. It got the point across that i really didnt understand the differences between the services that i need to consider, as did your continued comments.
    To simon_b: Thanks for some of your comments, particularly your opinion regarding my age and me "getting on" haha, jokes.
    To Lady_Venom: Very pleased to hear that it wasnt just me who didnt focus on this from the day they started primary school (despite the fact i told my class i wanted to be a "bird", thats pretty close to pilot right? lol). I definately feel like i have plenty of positive attributes when compared to your typical just out of school or uni graduate.
    Its great to hear you had advice on concurrent applications. Was your friend applying to just be a pilot? I definately need to look into the Navy more. The idea of spending 6 months away on a ship doesnt sound like a problem to me! Still, that would still only be a second to life in the RAF. It all depends on what happens at OASC for me and seeing as the navy age limit is older i do have a bit more time than expected.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carsomyr)
    To Lady_Venom: Very pleased to hear that it wasnt just me who didnt focus on this from the day they started primary school (despite the fact i told my class i wanted to be a "bird", thats pretty close to pilot right? lol). I definately feel like i have plenty of positive attributes when compared to your typical just out of school or uni graduate.
    Its great to hear you had advice on concurrent applications. Was your friend applying to just be a pilot? I definately need to look into the Navy more. The idea of spending 6 months away on a ship doesnt sound like a problem to me! Still, that would still only be a second to life in the RAF. It all depends on what happens at OASC for me and seeing as the navy age limit is older i do have a bit more time than expected.

Thanks guys
    I had wanted to be a pilot in the RAF since I was yay high...however it didn't work out for one reason or another and I actually found myself looking at the Army before the RN and discovered it was 'more me'. The way selection works is very different, although they are looking to change it to be the same as the RN and RAF in that you apply to your Regiment/Arm before RMAS. I liked the way the Army worked and also the jobs available to me in the various Regiments/Arms and I found I'd be happy NOT being a pilot should it come to that.

I also looked at the RN but decided not to go with it as the ship thing didn't exactly float my boat............ I didn't feel happy learning ships; I just couldn't get my heart into in so I canned my application.

ReputationRep:
    Thats great, sounds like its definately all working out well for you.
    I will have to have a look into the Army a bit more, see what options they offer etc. Ideally though id be flying jets not helis and i think the Navy life on a boat compared to Army life would be more my cup of tea. Thats an opinion formed entirely from presumptions and stereotypes though so it definately needs more research.
    Again it all depends on how my RAF application goes, will definately keep you all enformed.
    Was your friend who was making concurrent applications going for pilot then? It seems a little unfair to be jumping in and out of the initial training like that, messing people around, i suppose if you arent 100% its better to get out early. Cant believe people go through all that then not turn up to IOT!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.