The Student Room Group

URGENT!! University of Birmingham vs University of Nottingham mechanical engineering

Hi guys, I'm an international student and I'm struggling which school to study mechanical engineering.
Does anyone of you have any advice?

Thanks!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Azele
Hi guys, I'm an international student and I'm struggling which school to study mechanical engineering.

Thanks!!!

notts- better prospects in my opinion
Reply 2
Original post by safa212
notts- better prospects in my opinion

May I know in what way is nottingham has a better prospects

since I've heard that there are factories of famous companies (e.g. Jaguar, Rolls Royce) and what one of my concerns is that whether studying in a larger city have more opportunities? (correct my concept if I'm wrong)

Thanks!
Original post by Azele
May I know in what way is nottingham has a better prospects

since I've heard that there are factories of famous companies (e.g. Jaguar, Rolls Royce) and what one of my concerns is that whether studying in a larger city have more opportunities? (correct my concept if I'm wrong)

Thanks!

Jaguar land rover have a couple factories in the midlands around north Warwickshire, Coventry & Brum (and others). Rolls-Royce is in Derby & Bristol (the aerospace company), the car company is on the South Coast (although is owned by BMW, and lots of work is done over in Germane, but the cars are built here).

All 3 companies would hire from both universities.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Jaguar land rover have a couple factories in the midlands around north Warwickshire, Coventry & Brum (and others). Rolls-Royce is in Derby & Bristol (the aerospace company), the car company is on the South Coast (although is owned by BMW, and lots of work is done over in Germane, but the cars are built here).

All 3 companies would hire from both universities.

Thanks for the information!
Nottingham
Reply 6
Original post by 90 cent
Nottingham

May I know why Nottingham would be the better option?
I'd say Nottingham but that's more because I prefer that city to Birmingham
Original post by Azele
May I know why Nottingham would be the better option?

I’m in year 13 at the moment .. so based on the applicants in my year, University of Nottingham is far more reputable for engineering courses than UoB, take that from someone whose also applied to an engineering degree, I struggled to decide between UoN and UoB for my insurance choice but in the end after researching the two a bit I decided on UoN 👍
Original post by Azele

Thanks!!!

Hi @Azele

If you are seeking to join a university for graduate employment then the University of Birmingham was most targeted university by the UK’s top 100 graduate employers, according to The Graduate Market in 2021.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/2021/birmingham-is-the-number-one-targeted-university-by-uks-top-graduate-employers#:~:text=The%20University%20of%20Birmingham%20has,The%20Graduate%20Market%20in%202021.&text=100%20graduate%20employers-,The%20University%20of%20Birmingham%20has%20been%20named%20the%20most%20targeted,The%20Graduate%20Market%20in%202021

We offer a 3/4/5 year course for mechanical engineering. A 3 year course is 3 years at university studying an undergraduate degree, a 4 year course includes a placement/sandwich year and a 5 year course concludes with an integrated masters.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/mechanical-engineering/mechanical-engineering-beng.aspx

-Moosa
Reply 10
Original post by 90 cent
I’m in year 13 at the moment .. so based on the applicants in my year, University of Nottingham is far more reputable for engineering courses than UoB, take that from someone whose also applied to an engineering degree, I struggled to decide between UoN and UoB for my insurance choice but in the end after researching the two a bit I decided on UoN 👍

Thanks for that !
Reply 11
Original post by University of Birmingham
Hi @Azele

If you are seeking to join a university for graduate employment then the University of Birmingham was most targeted university by the UK’s top 100 graduate employers, according to The Graduate Market in 2021.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/2021/birmingham-is-the-number-one-targeted-university-by-uks-top-graduate-employers#:~:text=The%20University%20of%20Birmingham%20has,The%20Graduate%20Market%20in%202021.&text=100%20graduate%20employers-,The%20University%20of%20Birmingham%20has%20been%20named%20the%20most%20targeted,The%20Graduate%20Market%20in%202021

We offer a 3/4/5 year course for mechanical engineering. A 3 year course is 3 years at university studying an undergraduate degree, a 4 year course includes a placement/sandwich year and a 5 year course concludes with an integrated masters.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/mechanical-engineering/mechanical-engineering-beng.aspx

-Moosa

Thanks for the info Moosa~!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending