The Student Room Group

not good at English speaking

I am 25 years old female and my communication skills are just too weak :frown: I have a stutter but the problem is this too that most of my uni class mates are British and I am international student so my English speaking is not as strong as theirs. How can I improve my communication skills ..I get ignored by almost everyone in my course and I think the main reason is that they think I m a dumb student just bcz of the way I speak even though, I m not that dumb and get good grades.
I can understand how it feels, I have a stutter too though I m British

Original post by Anonymous
I am 25 years old female and my communication skills are just too weak :frown: I have a stutter but the problem is this too that most of my uni class mates are British and I am international student so my English speaking is not as strong as theirs. How can I improve my communication skills ..I get ignored by almost everyone in my course and I think the main reason is that they think I m a dumb student just bcz of the way I speak even though, I m not that dumb and get good grades.
Hello,

I understand how you feel. I am an international student too. Actually, I have graduated this year, but I am very self aware because I grew up in a different country and my accent makes me feel like I have very weak and poor communication skills compared to other graduates who are mostly British. No one talks to me because of this reason also and I always feel that they don't want to talk to me because I am a foreigner and it's awful. It makes me feel like I have a some kind of disorder or a disability that prevents me from communicating with others normally. I am always worried that interviewers may not like that and that this is limiting my ability in finding a good graduate job because all graduate jobs ask for excellent and fantastic communication skills and I am worried that I am not going to show that in my interviews because of this problem. :frown:

However, I did recently manage to pass interviews and did get onto a graduate training programme, so even if you feel that you have this problem it is still possible to do very well. I guess my advice is to not be afraid of approaching people and asking questions about them and being curious. Even if you don't necessarily like to do this, it can help improving your communication skills and conversational skills. That's the only way that I managed to do it. Being fluent in a language requires experience. The more you do it, the less stutter you'll have and less 'brainfreeze' moments. You should be able to improve quickly.
Original post by Anonymous

Hello, don’t worry my communication skills are weak too even though I’m British, if you want to improve your English communication is the best way and be confident!! Watch YouTube videos and tv shows etc… try and talk those in your classes I know it’s hard when they don’t want to talk to you, I know how it feels but trust me their opinions don’t matter, your opinion matters, confidence is KEY, so keep your head held high and remember practice makes progress 😊
Hello, I read and understood your feelings and thoughts for this. I myself am a student and I too had trouble communicating in English with my peers. However, I took some effort and created some habits to learn and pick up the Language to be able to incorporate them into my daily conversations. Right here, I have some tips for self learning and as long as you keep up with the habits you'll be able to pick up in no time!

Increase your consumption of English-language media. Use only English. Regular usage of English improves vocabulary. Films, television episodes, news, and interviews with subtitles are an excellent method to learn English. You will speak and comprehend standard English with greater fluency. Podcasts, music, and interviews, in addition to books, magazines, and newspapers, may be used to gain knowledge. It may be beneficial for both while reading. A larger vocabulary is also useful. Use one of the several accessible English and grammar exams to evaluate your proficiency. Master several grammatical structures.

Utilize the internet to learn English for school without fear. Blogs and articles published by online educational institutions are of excellent quality. This website has several excellent examples. Remember to be sure to look online for other free and excellent examples for your reading and study. Hope this helps!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending