The Student Room Group

Starting Uni at 23

I’ve tried to go to uni 2 times now, struggling both times and after a Crohn’s diagnosis and some mental health problems I feel a little behind everyone, as I’ll be starting uni at 23 when all my friends have already graduated. Would really just like to know I’m not alone starting uni late, feel like I’ve missed the last 3 years and I’m really nervous I’ll be judged for starting later than my peers.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve tried to go to uni 2 times now, struggling both times and after a Crohn’s diagnosis and some mental health problems I feel a little behind everyone, as I’ll be starting uni at 23 when all my friends have already graduated. Would really just like to know I’m not alone starting uni late, feel like I’ve missed the last 3 years and I’m really nervous I’ll be judged for starting later than my peers.

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way, but it's a completely reasonable feeling. University is very inclusive and although it is very common for people to go straight after school or college, it's very likely there will be people in the course of your age and older! :smile:
I study Psychology at Heriot-Watt and my course had a wide variety of ages. I went straight after school, but I made friends with people in their late twenties/early thirties - and they definitely weren't judged :smile:.

It is more common than you think! :smile:

I hope this brings you some reassurance.

-Claire
(4th year Psychology student)

Not everyone lives life to the same timeline. 23 is fine. Might be better if you've addressed the reasons why you dropped out of university twice though before trying again to avoid a replay of the same issues. Good luck.

Hey :h:

I saw your post and couldn't not reply to it. I tried to go to uni in 2018 and because of health circumstances I wasn't able to go and I was so disappointed by it. It's a horrible feeling. I began my studies in 2020 (at 21) and with a foundation year behind me I'm now entering my '2nd year' at 23.

You're not behind. There is no pathway and timeline that is set in stone for all of us! We're all different, with different things going on, at different times. It's taking me a while to accept this too so you're not alone. The important thing is that even after those 2 times where it didn't work out, you're still going back at it to try again. You should be so proud of yourself for that!

As for the nerves about being judged for starting later, my personal experience of uni is that there are a lot more mature students than you might expect. I found people the same age as me, and plenty a lot older too! University is great because generally it's just full of people from all different backgrounds (and ages too!). You're not going to stand out as being behind or anything like that at all.

If you're happy with your decision to be going to uni, then you're right on track! I hope it all goes brilliantly for you. What will you be studying?

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
(edited 1 year ago)

I was 23 when I started at the University of Chester and am about to start my finial year. You are defiantly not alone in how you feel and you are not behind. I have met lot's of people who were my age and older and we all had different personal reasons and that's okay.

Hey, I know people seem to say it a lot but at uni truly no one cares about ages. There was a guy on my course who was at least 70 who just came back to uni because he was interested in learning! You're going to meet a whole range of people of different ages and if anything, your friends who have now graduated will be jealous that you still get to live the student life :cool:

It sounds like you have done what is absolute best for you and that is the thing that counts. Good luck this year, we're always here if you need support :smile:

-Abi
There are people of all ages and backgrounds who come to university, there will definitely be people your age on your course, and likely people who are older too. I know it can be difficult, but instead of worrying you should simply be proud of the fact that you got onto the course that you wanted and believe in yourself to be successful. 23 is honestly not an old age to be starting university and you will find people by the on your course or those you live with, are those in societies or you just meet along the way that you will get on with and become your friends.

No one will judge you for starting university at 23 instead of 18 I promise you. If you think you need support from your university in terms of academics or mental wellbeing then please to access this, your university will have support.

To discover what support your university can offer you, you can check their website under ‘support services’. you can also attend an open day (clearing open days should be coming up soon - and these are not only for people who went through clearing) and talk to the support services team at one of their stands or attend support talks.

I hope this helps you feel more at ease, and please let me know if you need advice on anything else.

- Rosie

Hey OP,

Thank you for sharing this with us, it's totally understandable that you find this daunting.

I myself am about to commence studying part time at the tender age of 34, and one of my best friends is going back to Uni next year to finish her degree at 35 - we definitely won't be feeling "fresh" at any fresher's fayres. But our friends are all so supportive of us and really in our corner, I have never felt like anyone is judging me for making this decision at my age at all, quite the opposite in fact!

Still, this accurately sums up how long it feels since I was at school:

However, after school I went to art college for two year and I remember utterly adoring those class mates of mine who were a bit older (and there were a few, it's way more common than you might think) - they seemed so cool and on control of themselves compared to baby me. I know now at 34 they were probably feeling just as overwhelmed with life as I was of course, but I loved every chance I got to work with them and learn from them.

Now I am not saying you have to be the mature one in a midst of youths (especially at 23!) but I hope it reassures you that neither your friends or your classmates will be horrendously judgemental of you, and why should they - you are doing a really hard thing and should be so proud of yourself!

All the best with uni, I know you will smash it!
Lee
Student Minds

Hi there!

I started my degree a few years after everyone else too! Nobody even knew what my age was and was surprised to find out how old I was when I said! You will make plenty of friends, much older than you, a bit younger than you - it really doesn't make a difference at University! You will be treated exactly the same :biggrin: It doesn't stop you from interacting with Freshers' or securing accommodation or making friends! I'm friends with people in their 50s that I've met on my course and other courses! Try not to think about it as starting late, you're starting at the time that's right for you! You absolutely won't be judged! You just have a little more life experience that's all! I'm the oldest in my friendship group at Uni, and there's 5 years differences between us! Remember this is an exciting new chapter! You have nothing to worry about, with plenty of opportunities to make friends over your three years!

Enjoy it!
Jess
Illustration Graduate
Hi,

I know how you feel I have just finished my first year at 33! I was concerned that I would not meet anyone I would have anything in common with, that I would stick out and that I would not be able to keep up with the work as I hadn’t been in education for 16 years. All of these were wrong, however.

The first thing I would suggest would be to look on the uni website and see if they have a mature student group or society and then join this. This is a great place to meet other mature students and they will all feel the same as you. For me, it was a great place to meet people and discuss uni and put me at ease that there would be people there I would have something in common with. It also helped as during the induction week the department had a mature student’s lunch so I attended that and met lots of great people whom I am friends with now.

I would look at the other society during freshers and see if there is anything there that piques your interest and they usually have welcome events and activities so you are able to see what happens in the society and get to meet lots of other people. These are usually really eclectic and made up of students of all ages and another great way to meet people.

I am sorry to hear about the mental health difficulties you have been having and would suggest speaking with the wellbeing service at the uni. They are there to offer guidance and support but it is also to know that they are available if you feel you need support, they can be valuable to speak with. They also may run groups or activities to go along to which can help teach well-being skills.

In regard to your Crohn’s disease, I would speak with the university disability team to get support and for them to make any reasonable adjustments you may need whilst on your course. I spoke to the team at the University of Portsmouth about my ulcerative colitis and was awarded additional time on my exams in case of a need for toilet breaks as well as other support that really helped and took the pressure off.

It is really normal to feel apprehensive and worried, but this will fade when you attend uni. I am sure you will find your campus is diverse and accepting and you will meet lots of different and interesting people along the way.

I wish you an amazing uni experience and I hope all goes well

Luke Portsmouth Student Rep

Hey! How are you? :smile:

I know you've already received fantastic advice below, so I hope I'm not coming across too repetitive, but I did just want to jump in as well and say please don't feel behind, people start university at all different ages! I know when I was a student we had a mature student on our course and she never felt behind or left out and I didn't ever think twice about it.

At Bradford, adult learners currently make up around a third of our undergraduate community, so it is very common and I bet that will be the same at the uni you are wanting to attend as well. There's all sorts of ways of meeting people as well so you don't ever feel alone, I'd recommend joining clubs and societies to meet likeminded people so it helps make conversation that bit easier. You could also look into volunteering opportunities, part-time jobs on campus or becoming a student ambassador - all ways of meeting new people of different ages and people who are a similar age to you as well :smile:

It's fantastic to hear you're giving it another go, I wish you the best of luck and hope you have the best university experience ever - which I'm sure you will! :smile:
Becky

Hi, I'm so sorry you feel that way. Even though I am from another country, let me assure you, you are not late at all. My university has an upper limit of 25 years for bachelor's applicants. I joined as an 18-year-old, and trust me, I had no idea about my classmates' ages till they told me. Some of them were married and had children by the time we graduated. Their age made no difference to me, rather, I met amazing friends and peers. I am sure your classmates will feel the same way. Please don't worry about anything else and have a great time at uni. All the best!

Hi there!
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way, however, you are not alone!
When I first started uni I shared halls with someone who was 24 and just starting their degree, they also felt the same way but they grew to realise that university is one of the most diverse and inclusive places. The majority of us had all taken gap years anyway so some of us were already a year older than most of the freshers, but it never felt like there was a divide despite there being an age difference between us all.
There is not an age limit on when you start your degree, in my second year we had a gentleman in his 40s who had decided he was finally ready to start his Politics degree alongside us and he was treated no differently because at the end of the day, regardless of age we are all at uni for the same reason.
There are many more mature students at university than you would think, there just seems to be a bigger focus on those coming straight from school so you tend to forget that there are older students, but I can assure you there are plenty!
I wish you the best of luck in starting your degree!
-Bethany, UKC Rep

Hey! Don’t stress. I’m 25, turning 26 soon and start next month. Everyone’s situations are different and there’s so many mature students I wouldn’t worry yourself :smile:
I started my degree at 23 and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending