The Student Room Group

Looking for online Tech degree (Electrical Engineering, Robotics, etc) in EU.

Hey, I'm a software developer. Sadly, I can't study in a brick university, so online is the only option.
I currently enrolled in distance learning Computer Science BSc program from the University of London, I completed 33% or one third of the course.

But I'm thinking of dropping. I'm not really satisfied with the degree, it is not what I thought it's going to be. I'm already a programmer, and CS course of my university feels like plain software development degree. I feel like I can easily learn all of that on my own, without needing a degree. I literally passed 1/3 of the degree without studying at all, it was sooo basic, so I was passing exams and doing courseworks by the deadline and that's it. I have a Database class right now, programming an SQL database on JavaScript... I just don't feel like I need getting a diploma for that.

I expected for Computer Science degree to be rigorous, to go deeply in how to actually design computers with a lot of mathematics, theory etc. Not writing mario like game to pass my programming class. At least that's what my uni course is like.I feel like I made the wrong choice, I think I should have chosen something more technical or more deeply theoretical. Something like Electrical Engineering, Robotics, maybe even plain Mathematics or Physics. Something that has global value, rather that high level programming that can be picked up very quickly.

I'm here to ask for advice. Considering I'm already 1/3 of the way through, should I drop out or should I just finish my degree and get the damn Bachelor's?

I really want to change university, but unfortunately the choice of online programs is not great. The only university with Engineering programs I came up with is the Open University, there is also some random unknown UK universities and one German. There is also this "Mathematics and Economics" course from somewhat prestigious LSE. But I'm a bit sceptic about economics, although mathematics triggers my attention.
I saw some US universities with Eng courses as well, but they are extremely expensive... They are like 10 times the price of any EU university. I can't afford that

Any suggestions?
(edited 1 year ago)
What are you getting a degree for if you are already a software developer?
Reply 2
Original post by TryingMyHardest
What are you getting a degree for if you are already a software developer?

I though having a Bachelors may be valuable, more over I got a job very very recently, so it's not like I have years of job experience.
Also one of my dreams is to move to Korea and basically having a degree is one of the most important requirements for obtaining almost any visa
Are you mostly self taught without an advanced academic qualification? It sounds like you’re more interested in computer engineering so a course in electrical and electronic engineering would probably suit you best. That’s a tough course to offer by distance learning which is why it’s probably not on offer. Part time study at a brick university is more realistic. Can you not do this?
Reply 4
Original post by Nitebot
Are you mostly self taught without an advanced academic qualification? It sounds like you’re more interested in computer engineering so a course in electrical and electronic engineering would probably suit you best. That’s a tough course to offer by distance learning which is why it’s probably not on offer. Part time study at a brick university is more realistic. Can you not do this?

I'm mostly self taught, yes. And to be honest I feel like CS degree is somewhat worthless, especially with such somewhat high level program my university has. I expected it to be highly theoretical and deep. But I don't need a diploma to create 2d mario games or for creating HTML webpages. To this matter Computer Engineering sounds literally like something I would like.

Very sadly, I can't really go to a brick university. More over I live in a different country right now. So if I were to go back to the UK, I would need a lot of money for rent, for food, for uni. I can't really afford that on my own, even by working part-time there. I could ask for a loan from my sister, but I don't really want to take on debt and be so dependent on other people. Not even sure if it's worth it.

As for the online options I can do on my own, I'm seeing: The Open University with its Engineering programs, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to transfer to The Open. I also think that University of London sounds better in diploma than The Open. Especially for some recognition in Korean in which I'm dreaming of going. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I was also able to find Electronic Engineering course from University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) and Electronic Engineering course from Solent and University of Salford. But uncertain in those too
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Vel_
I'm mostly self taught, yes. And to be honest I feel like CS degree is somewhat worthless, especially with such somewhat high level program my university has. I expected it to be highly theoretical and deep. But I don't need a diploma to create 2d mario games or for creating HTML webpages. To this matter Computer Engineering sounds literally like something I would like.

Very sadly, I can't really go to a brick university. More over I live in a different country right now. So if I were to go back to the UK, I would need a lot of money for rent, for food, for uni. I can't really afford that on my own, even by working part-time there. I could ask for a loan from my sister, but I don't really want to take on debt and be so dependent on other people. Not even sure if it's worth it.

As for the online options I can do on my own, I'm seeing: The Open University with its Engineering programs, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to transfer to The Open. I also think that University of London sounds better in diploma than The Open. Especially for some recognition in Korean in which I'm dreaming of going. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I was also able to find Electronic Engineering course from University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) and Electronic Engineering course from Solent and University of Salford. But uncertain in those too

Had a quick look at the University of London distance learning prospectus. I saw that they offer a number of computer science degrees. The one below which is ran by Goldsmiths seems to focus more on hardware. Might be worth investigating and seeing if you can transfer over..

Computer Science (Physical Computing and the Internet of Things) BSc
Physical computing involves the creation of hardware devices that can sense and act in the real world. This rapidly growing new trend is finding applications across a huge range of sectors, including smart homes, creative arts, robotics and engineering control systems. You will learn how to design devices that compute in real-world settings, as well as how to connect them, virtually, to each other and the rest of the world via the internet. Using these skills, you can develop your own devices and systems, exploring the untapped potential of this exciting area of technology.

Quick Reply

Latest