Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How good looking are the people at Oxbridge? Watch

Please keep anon or delete.
    I have this stupid idea that everyone in Oxford or Cambridge is either a gorgeous rah or a stunningly handsome guy. Anyway, I KNOW i'm not that hot and I get really intimidated by really good looking people... I don't want to be 'the ugly one' who tags along on nights out. This is ridiculous I know, but just wanna ask anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how this is health or relationships, but never mind.

There are a few VERY hot people of both sexes at Cambridge. There are a few hideous ones. There is a wide range of fairly normal people. I'm far from stunning, and have never really felt out of place. Certainly I wouldn't have said the people here are better looking than at any other uni - if I were to make a sweeping generalisation I'd say the average is probably a bit lower.

If you want to go to Oxbridge, whether people will think you're ugly or not (which you almost certainly are not!) should be the least of your concerns.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it will have its attractive people, but so does any university. I think you're overthinking this really, you'd be going to oxbridge to work hard and get a good degree, not to take part in some Uni beauty contest.

ReputationRep:
    My brother is going and hes not an amazing looker. Tbh there is no point worrying because this will be an issue at all unis you go to. As long as you don't have 2 heads, I'm sure you look fine!

ReputationRep:
    What Helenia said. Cambridge, and no doubt Oxford too (though this is debatable ), isn't full of students of a different species. They are human too you know! There's the mix of people you would find at any other university, so don't let this be a deciding factor on whether you apply.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I remember when I visitied cambridge, is that there was not one fat applicant. Maybe I was just lucky that day.

Looks wise, it was pretty good. Lots of girls that looked attractive.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, personally, I always reckoned that Oxford students were, on average, sub-par. Generally I don't think it's going to win a "fit uni" award.

ReputationRep:
    I would say below average. But most of the girls seem gorgeous to me...and all the hot ones are sensational because they have brains & beauty.
    Go to either and your illusions will be shattered...remember all those weird geeky kids at school? Quite a lot of them end up here or at Cambridge. Haha.
    Don't worry about it. Honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    What Helenia said. Cambridge, and no doubt Oxford too (though this is debatable ), isn't full of students of a different species. They are human too you know! There's the mix of people you would find at any other university, so don't let this be a deciding factor on whether you apply.
    woah woah woah
    did you just say oxbridge students are human beings?
    naw they from a different planet b.

ReputationRep:
    My fiancee goes to Oxford. She's a minx (but I would think that), but from the pictures I've seen of her time there the overall standard of people there is pretty average.

ReputationRep:
    This question made me think of Lily Cole... I'm undecided about her.

It's probably the same as every uni in terms of the ratio of hotfolk on campus. I think you will probably find other things to busy yourself with! We all get intimidated by really good looking people to an extent, probably even really good looking people get intimidated by really good looking people.

Sorry to sound cheesy but people that make your heart stop are usually easy-going and relaxed in their looks/bodies, even if they have evident flaws, something about their inner self-assurance makes you overlook them..

Try to be comfortable with yourself (focussing on your good points, and your confidence most importantly), and enjoy your time there

ReputationRep:
    I think most people here are around average with quite few at the extremeities. I don't know how it's come about, but most people here are just normal looking, as opposed to extraordinarily attractive or unattractive.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that on average, Oxford is slightly lower than your normal uni.

Cardiff Uni on the other hand - now that should be winning fit uni awards.

ReputationRep:
    Generalisation here, but looking at the Cambridge prospectus and website, most people look like completely unattractive geeks. Maybe they just picked a handful of mingers for the photos, but generally I get the idea most Oxbridge-ians aren't too hot in the looks stakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have this stupid idea that everyone in Oxford or Cambridge is either a gorgeous rah or a stunningly handsome guy. Anyway, I KNOW i'm not that hot and I get really intimidated by really good looking people... I don't want to be 'the ugly one' who tags along on nights out. This is ridiculous I know, but just wanna ask anyway...
    None based on what i've seen. I'm not joking either.

(Cambridge predominantly however)

ReputationRep:
    I find Oxford students are generally disappointing, this includes looks. Apart from the post-grads. But I think the unattainability is the attraction there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't worry you won't be a 'tag along' - just be happy, be yourself, and don't care about how you compare to others. I went out with a load of Oxford students the other week, and some girls are gorgeous (like jawdroppingly stunning), but most people are average/below average. People there have really great personalities though, and that means there aren't many of those shallow types that you find in many places.

ReputationRep:
    well impretty ******* hot, so QED
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can confirm that I am neither and that lots of people at Oxford are neither, so you have nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    One thing I remember when I visitied cambridge, is that there was not one fat applicant.

That's one of the things that strikes me most about the place! And there do seem to be a lot of very good-looking people about. It's quite demoralising

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.