Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How good looking are the people at Oxbridge? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherZoe)
    That's one of the things that strikes me most about the place! And there do seem to be a lot of very good-looking people about. It's quite demoralising
    come on, you must be kidding, where did you come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouge)
    come on, you must be kidding, where did you come from?
    Plymouth.

Actually, that explains quite a lot :p:

(Original post by Helenia)
    Certainly I wouldn't have said the people here are better looking than at any other uni - if I were to make a sweeping generalisation I'd say the average is probably a bit lower.
    I would disagree with that. More intelligent and higher social-class people tend to be more likely to take care of their health / hygiene than those at the bottom. Hence, you see very very few fat students at Oxbridge. Some tutors will no doubt have some prejudice on looks so the interview process is a bit of a filter.

So anyway, overall at Oxbridge the majority of people are average, you have a few stunners, but definitely a below-average proportion of 'ugly' people.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I would disagree with that. More intelligent and higher social-class people tend to be more likely to take care of their health / hygiene than those at the bottom. Hence, you see very very few fat students at Oxbridge. Some tutors will no doubt have some prejudice on looks so the interview process is a bit of a filter.

So anyway, overall at Oxbridge the majority of people are average, you have a few stunners, but definitely a below-average proportion of 'ugly' people.
    Really?!

Oh and thanks for the replies, most are making me feel loads better.

Really?!
    I don't care if anyone says Oxbridge admit people solely on academic merit. I know its rubbish. There are a good handful of tutors who are notorious for selecting a bunch of fit blonde girls, or public school rah boys, year in year out and the trends are true. Reality though, is that only if you look HIDEOUSLY repulsive would there be a reasonable chance that could affect your chance of getting in.

Overall, I'd think you'll get the fittest people at rank 20-30 unis like Cardiff, Exeter, Newcastle, Lancaster - people tend to take care of themselves and know how to have fun. Then likes of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial where there's a lot of 'geeks' but relatively few unhealthy. Bottom of the uni league tables will be bottom rung for fitness - higher proportion of people who don't take care of themselves generally re health (lots more overweight people, smokers) and personally (academics, ambition). Of course all the above is a massively sweeping generalisation before anyone starts!

I was wondering, is it possible that there are no fat or ugly people in Oxbridge because they might be the type to spend their time indoors rather than walking around?

I know for my Cambridge application, however, I had to send in four pictures of myself. In the United States, the only Ivy League school that requires pictures is Brown University, and Brown is known to have the most beautiful people around...anyone surprised?

I was wondering, is it possible that there are no fat or ugly people in Oxbridge because they might be the type to spend their time indoors rather than walking around?
    Fat/fugly people/northeners are weeded out at the interview stage. :yep:

So glad that I get to do my interview over the phone then! Makes me want to gain 10 stones and buy the cheapest clothes I can find if I ever get accepted. TAKE THAT CAMBRIDGE!! (...plz don't kick me out. )

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if anyone says Oxbridge admit people solely on academic merit. I know its rubbish. There are a good handful of tutors who are notorious for selecting a bunch of fit blonde girls, or public school rah boys, year in year out and the trends are true. Reality though, is that only if you look HIDEOUSLY repulsive would there be a reasonable chance that could affect your chance of getting in.

Overall, I'd think you'll get the fittest people at rank 20-30 unis like Cardiff, Exeter, Newcastle, Lancaster - people tend to take care of themselves and know how to have fun. Then likes of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial where there's a lot of 'geeks' but relatively few unhealthy. Bottom of the uni league tables will be bottom rung for fitness - higher proportion of people who don't take care of themselves generally re health (lots more overweight people, smokers) and personally (academics, ambition). Of course all the above is a massively sweeping generalisation before anyone starts!
    True. Then why post it?

(Original post by PhilMc)
    True. Then why post it?
    Just because something's a generalisation doesn't mean its not true - it just means you should consider that there are always anomalies/exceptions. Just because there are anomalies / exceptions though does not stop the fact that there is considerable correlation between people within a society's attractiveness/health and their social class, intellect, etc.

The proportion of fat people at Oxbridge is markedly, markedly lower than the general population for the same age group. Not surprising why.

ReputationRep:
    So glad that I get to do my interview over the phone then! Makes me want to gain 10 stones and buy the cheapest clothes I can find if I ever get accepted. TAKE THAT CAMBRIDGE!! (...plz don't kick me out. )
    My friend turned up to his first ever Cambridge supervision wearing tracksuit bottoms, his battered Muse hoody and his north London bling. The supervisor said 'Good God, what are they letting in these days?' True story.

Seriously though, there are very few fat people (students at least) in Cambridge. Neither are there too many horrifically skinny. Most people arrive average, put on a few pizza and beer pounds and graduate average too.

ReputationRep:
    I know for my Cambridge application, however, I had to send in four pictures of myself. In the United States, the only Ivy League school that requires pictures is Brown University, and Brown is known to have the most beautiful people around...anyone surprised?
    I was under the impression that the pictures were just for identification purposes (so the interviewers know who's who). And, of course, they reappear a year later on all your ID cards (very traumatic).

But they CANNOT use that for a selection criteria because my photo is genuinely one of the worst things ever to have spewed out of a passport photobooth. It's awful. I don't recognise myself. And I got in. :p:

OP, really, REALLY don't worry about it! There are far more serious things that are more likely to get any candidate rejected than their looks.

Out of curiosity though, how 'fat' are we talking about? Obese people or do we mean there are in fact no chubby chicks or guys? Or hell, someone 3-4 stones overweight? If it's that extreme, that not even a chubby person can be seen, it might be worth the generalization, yea.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity though, how 'fat' are we talking about? Obese people or do we mean there are in fact no chubby chicks or guys? Or hell, someone 3-4 stones overweight? If it's that extreme, that not even a chubby person can be seen, it might be worth the generalization, yea.
    I'm talking about a good few stones overweight- you don't see many obese people . In my lectures I only ever saw one girl that looked about a size 20, and my lectures had 500 people in sometimes. There are plenty of chubby people- many many students live on pasta and pizza remember! Hell, I'm one of them but I wouldn't class myself as 'fat'.

there were loads of pretty ugly looking people at the open day, and everyone i know who goes there/is applying is a complete minger.

ReputationRep:
    There are definitely almost no fat people at Oxford. I don't think it's because of the selection process though but perhaps that they are less likely to apply as they might have lower self esteem so not feel confident enough to apply. Also the brain is the organ that burns the most calories so perhaps highly intelligent people are less likely to be fat?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is depressing. I'm definitely screwed.

ReputationRep:
    haha I see that from these comments that everyone applying to Oxford is supposedly gonna be stunning or 'below average'
    What hope is there? :-P
    I wouldn't say i fit into either group :-S and i'm still applying

ReputationRep:
    Im at Cambridge and I think there are quite a lot of attractive people here. Although im talking about the people I meet on a night out and (major generalisation here) the ugly/geeky people probably won't be out clubbing.

Its so true about the lack of fat people! I heard that apparently around 1 in 4 girls in Cambridge have an eating disorder.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.