The Student Room Group

A level results

I received really bad A level results but got into my firm uni and the course I wanted

Should I retake the A levels though (I got A*DB)
(edited 1 year ago)
Your degree qualification matters more than your a levels in the workplace
Yeah I agree
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't think you should retake your entire A-levels. I messed up one of my papers in my A-levels which gave me A,B, D and still attended my first choice University, In my first year, I went home in the summer to re-take one of the papers and bought my grade to ABB. If there are specific modules in your D and E grade A-levels that brought your grade down, consider re-taking that specific paper in your free time. Congratulations!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by /revisionqueen
I received really bad A level results but got into my firm uni and the course I wanted

Should I retake the A levels though (I got A*DE)

Congratulations on getting into the uni you wanted :woohoo: Can I ask which uni course subject?
if you're happy with the course and uni I probably wouldn't re-sit, and focus on getting ready for uni in October (or whenever you start :smile: )
First year is often used as a year to help fill in any gaps in knowledge and getting everyone to the same level
It’s bsc maths
Thank you for the advice :smile:
If you got in I wouldn't resit! I'm not a maths student but when I applied for masters there was not even a need to mention my A-levels on my application. It should all be ok, congratulations again on your place!

Hi @/revisionqueen,

One more thing to consider with this is that if retaking your A-levels means doing another year of school/college, the student finance system in England is changing next year so that your student debt is wiped away after 40 years (instead of 30, as it is now). This means students starting in 2023 will likely be paying back their loan for longer, so if you've got a place for 2022 entry it might be better to take that & get the better loan deal this year. This will be different if you're currently a Scottish or Welsh student though.

If you're not happy with your results & you're asked about them in an interview in the future, you could provide context for the grades & use it as a chance to point out how you maybe improved revision techniques/exam strategy when you went to university. Employers often like to see examples of how people problem solve/tackle challenges.

Hope this helps & good luck with your choices :smile:

- Nia
(edited 1 year ago)
I forgot about the student loan plan changing, that’s a good point.
Thank you for the advice, I think I’m gonna stick to my original plan
Congratulations on getting into the uni of your choice. I don't think it's worth resitting.

Heya! Congrats!!! :biggrin: Time to celebrate! If you got into your firm uni choice then I wouldn't resit if I were you! It would just mean extra stress for you to prepare for a-levels all over again. Focus on your course and make sure you do well there!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

What are you going to study and where?
It’s University of Portsmouth and I’m gonna study Bsc maths
(edited 1 year ago)
It’s University of Portsmouth and I’m gonna study Bsc maths

I am presuming the a* is in Maths.What were the other two?Do you know what went wrong with those.If you are happy with the course and uni I would take the place.Once you have your degree A levels will no longer matter.
The other two was btec science/psychology
I definitely know what went wrong with the other two, Yh everyone’s been saying that the degree matters more but it’s just that even if I apply for a part time job, they ask for qualifications and results and I’m just not happy submitting those grades
The other two was btec science/psychology
I definitely know what went wrong with the other two, Yh everyone’s been saying that the degree matters more but it’s just that even if I apply for a part time job, they ask for qualifications and results and I’m just not happy submitting those grades

Honestly they won't even ask for the certificates so just lie.I know the perfectionist in you will not be happy as I messed up my history A level by knowing to much and therefore messed up the timings of my essay.I felt like retaking it for years until I got my first in my degree in History.
What uni is it may I ask?

Quick Reply

Latest