Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    ...being a british citizen. What would you have to do to make it happen (legally, not obvious things like learn the language lol).

    As an EU citizen, it's not a big deal. You can legally go and work there.

    What would you want to do out there?

    I'm currently in France for the year, on my year abroad from uni. I'm working as an English language assistant in a college, and get my accomodation provided, so I haven't had to sort out anything like that.

    But be warned that France is insanely bureaucratic. They nearly wouldn't let me set up my bank account, because I didn't have a bill as proof of address (our bills are included in our rent, so we don't have any!), and I hadn't got any of my UK bank statements with me. Everything will work out fine, but take every bit of potentially useful paperwork you can think of, and be prepared to fill in lots of forms.

    I'm not sure what happens about healthcare and stuff. I pay something called the sécu, out of my wages each month. But there's also the European Health Insurance Card (what used to be the E111 form), but that might be just for holidays...

    Oh, I do have a EHIC too. What I meant was that I'm not sure what you're entitled to with just the card and no secu.

    I registered for the secu through my school, the secretary gave us the forms to fill in, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on with that. They never asked to see my EHIC card...
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.