Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am terribly bad at budgetting. I am a complete shopaholic and have found the only way to stop me spending unnessecary money is to not go to town at all unless i really need something and then going in getting what i need straight away and leaving. But this stops me going out during the day with my friends and browsing around which i enjoy. I have been trying to get a job, but so far have had two interveiws but no success. Anybody else just like me and have any fool proof ways of going out without spending money?

ReputationRep:
    I have five different bank accounts, and use four for budgeting. Each month, I put aside money for food in one, money for bills in a second, money for rent/saving in another, and money for spending in the fourth.

Edit: And I only take out a certain amount of money each week (on a Monday) and don't take out any more. If a week's too much, take out what you need for a week and then take most of it home and leave it there.

ReputationRep:
    i am so crap at budgeting it's crazy
    in order to get to work from the tube station, i have to walk through a shopping complex, and omg the temptations... so my dad's done this thing where, whenever i get my paycheck at the end of the month, it goes straight to another account which i don't have the dard to at least this way i'm saving some of my gap year money... don't know if u wanna go to such drastic measures though

ReputationRep:
    When I was at uni, I worked out how many weeks I had until my next loan installment, I then divided the money that I had by them weeks and 'paid' myself a certain amount each week, so I knew I would always have enough money. If I overspent some weeks, I paid it off the next week and so forth.

I think you just need to exercise a bit of willpower. I never even enter a shop if I've got no money to spend and if I don't want to spend any money, then I definitely wouldn't enter one.

I have to let my mum help me with budgeting... when I'm manic I spend every penny I have. D:

I just take out a set amount each week and only spend that. Then, whatever I don't spend of that I can take out shopping and splurge. It does take willpower though not to overspend. Using money makes how much I'm spending seem a lot worse then putting it straight onto the bank card so I'm more cautious of what I'm spending.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bad at budgeting, but it isn't shopping it is my inability to say to no the question "Union ? Drinks?" or after the union "The Roxy ?" yep. that's about the size of it.

ReputationRep:
    I know if i took out all my money for the week i would spend it all at once, so what works for others would be a really bad idea for me. My dad checks my bank account at the end of every week so that helps me to know how much over my budget i've gone and what its gone on (usually clothes). I have thought about going to town but not taking my wallet but i know i would get grumpy and annoy my mates without the ability to buy even little things that i can afford.

ReputationRep:
    I dont, but when my bank balance begins to shrink. I get a increasingly guilty conscience. That usually does it for me.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I make a spreadsheet with how much I can spend each week.

Then I disregard it, buy clothes, drink too much and spend the month living off pasta and whatever my friends/parents or boyfriend cook for me.

This is the life...

ReputationRep:
    I dont, but when my bank balance begins to shrink. I get a increasingly guilty conscience. That usually does it for me.

ReputationRep:
    I just set a certain amount and I tell myself I'll fill up my account until that, and then don't let it get below that. Until I reach the amount, I'm really tight with the purse strings, and when I reach it, I only spend as much as I have over it. If I get some more money, I set a new amount, etc...

ReputationRep:
    I don't worry too much about budgeting, I spend whatever I feel like on food and stuff, but avoid wasting money.

ReputationRep:
    I'm brilliant with a budget. I am, quite literally, capable of spending nothing from one month to the next if it is necessary. I'm just not materialistic enough to spend a ton of money - the only thing (in terms of luxury items, ignoring food, toiletries, et cetera) that I ever spend money on is (video) games, and even then infrequently.

ReputationRep:
    I have a spreadsheet, it is beautiful

ReputationRep:
    I save and save and then blow £20 at a time on Wicked and then feel guilty and then stop spending and save and save and save and then bung some in the Wicked fund and so on and so forth.

ReputationRep:
    I don't.

ReputationRep:
    I don't. Hence why I only have £60 to last me for the next month...

ReputationRep:
    leave your bank card at home. if you don't have the money you won't spend it
    or take out however much your budgeted to spend for in the week and everyday only go out with the exact money you need for the day.

i have to do this everyday cuz my willpower when it comes to spending money is awful

ReputationRep:
    leave your bank card at home. if you don't have the money you won't spend it
    or take out however much your budgeted to spend for in the week and everyday only go out with the exact money you need for the day.

i have to do this everyday, my willpower when it comes to spending money is awful

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.