The Student Room Group

sixth form advice (going into yr 12)

This is a general question for notes in sixth form. I was going to write my notes on paper during the lessons but how do you guys generally revise after the lesson? Do you copy the notes from the textbook, make flashcards based on the notes or just read from the textbook and try exam questions?

I'm taking maths, economics, physics and further maths
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by moonflower321
This is a general question for notes in sixth form. I was going to write my notes on paper during the lessons but how do you guys generally revise after the lesson? Do you copy the notes from the textbook, make flashcards based on the notes or just read from the textbook and try exam questions?

What have you found works best for you in the past? Generally building on that will be your best bet! :smile:
Original post by shadowdweller
What have you found works best for you in the past? Generally building on that will be your best bet! :smile:

for my GCSEs I didn't have much time to make notes and only read off the textbook and did exam questions but I feel like with how much there is to do in sixth form, it might not be enough?
Seconding the advice to do whatever worked best. I wasn't a massive note writer personally. Just kept up with school work (concentrate in class, clear up anything you don't understand as soon as possible, keep up with assignments etc.), wrote summary notes only for bio cause it's a lot and then for others just practiced a lot of exam questions. That's what worked for me but it might not work for you at all. I would suggest taking a bit of time to explore what resources are available. Does your exam board provide revision material or question banks? What are your options for textbooks? Being familiar with those will help you choose the best resource later on.
for my GCSEs I didn't have much time to make notes and only read off the textbook and did exam questions but I feel like with how much there is to do in sixth form, it might not be enough?

From my perspective at least, if that worked well for you in the past then I'd say try it for sixth form, and maybe consider if you want to add anything to supplement it? As much as anything else, it's about finding the way that works for you, and that's likely to be a variation of what you're already doing! :smile:

I'm taking maths, economics, physics and further maths

Hey @moonflower321

I wrote brief summary notes (or used summary notes I found online) and did practise questions.

Good luck with Year 12!
Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest