The Student Room Group

What is my grade?

https://prnt.sc/xXp9O3N2UnSU
Above are my module grades, Two distinctions, one merit and one pass.

I'm studying a 90 Credit diploma, thats marked on modules and ONE exam so the grade should look something like this: https://prnt.sc/P6e_zXUJpVDl

However the 'resulsts' I got is my one exam grade, not any on my modules whatsoever which if you're familar with, make up part of the final grade. https://prnt.sc/GLc3PMVp4ate

The only thing I can think of is that I got a PP, But that doesn't make sense because I only got one P, and then I got a merit and two distinctions so shouldnt it be MP?
Original post by xKayTea
https://prnt.sc/xXp9O3N2UnSU
Above are my module grades, Two distinctions, one merit and one pass.

I'm studying a 90 Credit diploma, thats marked on modules and ONE exam so the grade should look something like this: https://prnt.sc/P6e_zXUJpVDl

However the 'resulsts' I got is my one exam grade, not any on my modules whatsoever which if you're familar with, make up part of the final grade. https://prnt.sc/GLc3PMVp4ate

The only thing I can think of is that I got a PP, But that doesn't make sense because I only got one P, and then I got a merit and two distinctions so shouldnt it be MP?

I've been trying to reconcile your screenshots with the specification, but I'm struggling a little. Are you sure that you're studying a "90 Credit diploma"?

The reason I ask is that the list of units in the first screenshot tallies with the units available in the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National in Uniformed Protective Services (specification here; see page 5) - but that doesn't appear to offer a "90 Credit diploma" option.

The best match for a "90 Credit diploma" would be the Pearson BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Public Services (specification within this document), but the units in your first screenshot don't match that qualification - see page 11.

From your third screenshot, we can see the ExamCode 40888M, with the partial name "BEHAVIOUR AND DISCIPLINE IN THE UNIF". This is Unit 2 of the Pearson BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Uniformed Protective Services.

Within the general area of Public Services and Security, your college appears to offer:

Certificate in Preparation for the Public Services Level 2
Diploma in Public Services Level 1
Extended Certificate in Uniformed Protective Services Level 3
Foundation Diploma in Uniformed Protective Services Level 3
Level 2 Diploma in Policing, Criminology and Law

None of these is a "90 Credit diploma". Hence my confusion.

Do you have an official document from your college which provides the full name (or code) of the qualification?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I've been trying to reconcile your screenshots with the specification, but I'm struggling a little. Are you sure that you're studying a "90 Credit diploma"?

The reason I ask is that the list of units in the first screenshot tallies with the units available in the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National in Uniformed Protective Services (specification here; see page 5) - but that doesn't appear to offer a "90 Credit diploma" option.

The best match for a "90 Credit diploma" would be the Pearson BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Public Services (specification within this document), but the units in your first screenshot don't match that qualification - see page 11.

From your third screenshot, we can see the ExamCode 40888M, with the partial name "BEHAVIOUR AND DISCIPLINE IN THE UNIF". This is Unit 2 of the Pearson BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Uniformed Protective Services.

Within the general area of Public Services and Security, your college appears to offer:

Do you have an official document from your college which provides the full name (or code) of the qualification?

Hi so, my college put me on a 90 credit diploma because I only had one year of free study left, and I learnt with all the other normal public service students, however I have been graded the same as them for some reason. I've sent in a complaint to my exam board, I've notified my university of choice and have messaged my colleges exam team to fix this.

My careers coach has validated that I am on the 90 credit diploma, however I have been submitted as if I'm doing the extended diploma by my tutor hence why I have the wrong grades. What should I do?
Reply 3

I'm just as confused as you are, I've been told I'm on the 90-credit diploma, but my results don't match it and as you've mentioned there are inconsistencies with the units, if it turns out the college messed up and told me the wrong information, does that mean all my distinctions and my merit are for nothing, and I'll just get a measly pass with 7.5 points? Also note that I only have a grade for my behavior and discipline exam, not for the course overall, I also have no tariff points.
Original post by xKayTea
Hi so, my college put me on a 90 credit diploma because I only had one year of free study left, and I learnt with all the other normal public service students, however I have been graded the same as them for some reason. I've sent in a complaint to my exam board, I've notified my university of choice and have messaged my colleges exam team to fix this.

My careers coach has validated that I am on the 90 credit diploma, however I have been submitted as if I'm doing the extended diploma by my tutor hence why I have the wrong grades. What should I do?

What an unusual scenario. It sounds like you've done everything that you need to do to try to get this resolved. Does the exam team at your college seem to understand the issue and be in position to resolve it? If so, they're the best people to sort this out.

If not, you might want to call the exam board. (I know you've sent a complaint, but that could take a while to get processed - a phone call might be quicker way to resolve this.) I assume this is a BTEC, with Pearson as the exam board. Is that right? if so, you can call them on 0345 618 0440 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).
Reply 5
What an unusual scenario. It sounds like you've done everything that you need to do to try to get this resolved. Does the exam team at your college seem to understand the issue and be in position to resolve it? If so, they're the best people to sort this out.

If not, you might want to call the exam board. (I know you've sent a complaint, but that could take a while to get processed - a phone call might be quicker way to resolve this.) I assume this is a BTEC, with Pearson as the exam board. Is that right? if so, you can call them on 0345 618 0440 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).

I'll definitely give them a call, thank you for trying and giving as much info as you could anyway. I'll let you know if anything comes out of this,
Katie.
Original post by xKayTea
I'm just as confused as you are, I've been told I'm on the 90-credit diploma, but my results don't match it and as you've mentioned there are inconsistencies with the units, if it turns out the college messed up and told me the wrong information, does that mean all my distinctions and my merit are for nothing, and I'll just get a measly pass with 7.5 points? Also note that I only have a grade for my behavior and discipline exam, not for the course overall, I also have no tariff points.

From your list of units, you've taken the two mandatory units of the Extended Certificate: Behaviour and Discipline in the Uniformed Protective Services (120 GLH), and Teamwork, Leadership and Communication in the Uniformed Protective Services (120 GLH). You've also taken two optional units of the Extended Certificate: Introduction to Criminology (60 GLH) and Police Powers and the Law (60 GLH). So that's a total of 360 GLH (guided learning hours) - which is the total size of the Extended Certificate. (Confirmed via page 3 of the specification, which says that the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Uniformed Protective Services is "Equivalent in size to one A Level. Four units, two of which are mandatory and one is external."

The "Behaviour and Discipline in the Uniformed Protective Services" is externally assessed (and from your third screenshot we can see that happened); the other units are not.

So, if we ignore the fact that "my college put me on a 90 credit diploma because I only had one year of free study left" and "I've been told I'm on the 90-credit diploma", you appear to have met all the requirements for the Extended Certificate. I should emphasis the word "appear" as there might be some other complexity involved.

Plugging your unit grades into the BTEC Nationals Grade Calculator here (for the Extended Certificate) kicks out an overall grade of "Merit". That's worth 32 UCAS points. However, please don't take my word for this; wait until your college and/or the exam board confirm.
Reply 7
From your list of units, you've taken the two mandatory units of the Extended Certificate: Behaviour and Discipline in the Uniformed Protective Services (120 GLH), and Teamwork, Leadership and Communication in the Uniformed Protective Services (120 GLH). You've also taken two optional units of the Extended Certificate: Introduction to Criminology (60 GLH) and Police Powers and the Law (60 GLH). So that's a total of 360 GLH (guided learning hours) - which is the total size of the Extended Certificate. (Confirmed via page 3 of the specification, which says that the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Uniformed Protective Services is "Equivalent in size to one A Level. Four units, two of which are mandatory and one is external."

The "Behaviour and Discipline in the Uniformed Protective Services" is externally assessed (and from your third screenshot we can see that happened); the other units are not.

So, if we ignore the fact that "my college put me on a 90 credit diploma because I only had one year of free study left" and "I've been told I'm on the 90-credit diploma", you appear to have met all the requirements for the Extended Certificate. I should emphasis the word "appear" as there might be some other complexity involved.

Plugging your unit grades into the BTEC Nationals Grade Calculator here (for the Extended Certificate) kicks out an overall grade of "Merit". That's worth 32 UCAS points. However, please don't take my word for this; wait until your college and/or the exam board confirm.

I just got a huge apology from my college for the confusion, who will now contact my university and see if they can make some wiggle room for me on the foundation year (I highly doubt it) but you were right, I achieved a merit and wasn't on the QCF, But I was misled and told I was. Very very awkward situation, a lot of apologising and phone-calls, but here we are. 32 Ucas points probably won't get me anywhere, but we shall see how lenient derby university will be about the situation and clearing.
Original post by xKayTea
I just got a huge apology from my college for the confusion, who will now contact my university and see if they can make some wiggle room for me on the foundation year (I highly doubt it) but you were right, I achieved a merit and wasn't on the QCF, But I was misled and told I was. Very very awkward situation, a lot of apologising and phone-calls, but here we are. 32 Ucas points probably won't get me anywhere, but we shall see how lenient derby university will be about the situation and clearing.

Well, at least the confusion is resolved and you know how many UCAS points you have. Hopefully you can secure a uni place now (although that's unlikely to be easy, as I think you realise). Good luck.

BTW, what sort of course were you looking to do?
Reply 9
Well, at least the confusion is resolved and you know how many UCAS points you have. Hopefully you can secure a uni place now (although that's unlikely to be easy, as I think you realise). Good luck.

I was going to do computer science or cyber security with a foundation year, but I still have foundation pathways computing open to me.
So I have 32 ucas points in total? I calculated my overall points for the work i've done and it's 56 so that is equivalent to a merit/32 ucas points? I used the calculator you gave me.
Reply 10

https://prnt.sc/zSE0HSR8A61q Btw these are my 'projected points' which I have no clue what that means from my work, Idk how that converts to ucas (I'm assuming the 32 we discussed), what did I need to achieve to get a distinction for my final grade? Was it 3 distinctions? I got two, and one merit.
Original post by xKayTea
https://prnt.sc/zSE0HSR8A61q Btw these are my 'projected points' which I have no clue what that means from my work, Idk how that converts to ucas (I'm assuming the 32 we discussed), what did I need to achieve to get a distinction for my final grade? Was it 3 distinctions? I got two, and one merit.

BTECs are horribly confusing to grade. I always just use their calculator when someone asks. The BTEC Nationals calculator is here. You just pick your qualification (Extended Certificate), subject (Uniformed Protective Services) and plug-in the units and per-unit grades. For the exam it wants a mark (not a grade), so I just picked a mark that generated a module-level grade of P. With your new screenshot, I can work backwards from the 64 Total Unit Points to see that you must have got 12/40 for the exam.

Uniformed Protective Services.JPG

Tinkering with the spreadsheet shows that if you'd have got 22/40 in the exam (an M) you'd have got an overall D. Similarly if the M you already had would have been a D, you'd have got a D overall (even with a P in the exam).

BTW, the way I got to 32 UCAS points was not from the 64 BTEC points, but from the UCAS points calculator, here. It says an "M" for a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate is 32 UCAS Tariff points.
Reply 12
BTECs are horribly confusing to grade. I always just use their calculator when someone asks. The BTEC Nationals calculator is here. You just pick your qualification (Extended Certificate), subject (Uniformed Protective Services) and plug-in the units and per-unit grades. For the exam it wants a mark (not a grade), so I just picked a mark that generated a module-level grade of P. With your new screenshot, I can work backwards from the 64 Total Unit Points to see that you must have got 12/40 for the exam.

Uniformed Protective Services.JPG

Tinkering with the spreadsheet shows that if you'd have got 22/40 in the exam (an M) you'd have got an overall D. Similarly if the M you already had would have been a D, you'd have got a D overall (even with a P in the exam).

BTW, the way I got to 32 UCAS points was not from the 64 BTEC points, but from the UCAS points calculator, here. It says an "M" for a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate is 32 UCAS Tariff points.

Thank you again for explaining all of this to me, it's been so useful. :smile: By the way, the university said they will still consider my place but may phone me to ask some extra things, and if they don't accept me then I'm welcome onto the foundation pathways computing course.
Original post by xKayTea
Thank you again for explaining all of this to me, it's been so useful. :smile: By the way, the university said they will still consider my place but may phone me to ask some extra things, and if they don't accept me then I'm welcome onto the foundation pathways computing course.

That's great news.

Quick Reply

Latest