The Student Room Group

Advice?

I have received AAC but was one mark in maths my C so I am getting it remarked but have been through clearing all of today. I got an offer from lancs in clearing but should I wait on the remark because alot of places want AAB for economics. The issue is I have to accept lancs offer tomorrow. What should I do?
Original post by bjvyfcyvu
I have received AAC but was one mark in maths my C so I am getting it remarked but have been through clearing all of today. I got an offer from lancs in clearing but should I wait on the remark because alot of places want AAB for economics. The issue is I have to accept lancs offer tomorrow. What should I do?

There's no guarantee that those AAB places will still be available when you get your remark done I'm afraid. It's up to you if it's worth the risk of not getting a place. Sorry to hear that your results weren't what you hoped
(edited 1 year ago)

I would take the offer tbh, many unis are not likely to be in clearing long enough for you to get a new grade, so by not accepting an offer now you are likely to lose a lot of other options later on (plus you can't guarantee that your grades will go up!)

Hi @bjvyfcyvu,

I'd agree with the above posts, but also wanted to mention that at Swansea if a student needs more time to consider their clearing offer we can be flexible, so it may be worth ringing Lancaster back to discuss this & explain your situation.

Hope it all goes well for you :smile:

- Nia
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey @bjvyfcyvu

I don't study economics but I have just finished my first year at Lancaster. I have loved my time here so far, I think it has a really strong sense of community and the campus is amazing! If you have any questions about life at Lancaster feel free to ask. Maybe dedicate an hour to researching more about Lancaster and see how you feel then?

It's up to you in the end!
Rebecca

Hi @bjvyfcyvu

Congratulations on your offer at Lancaster! Like others have said, I wouldn't rely on other places being available once your maths has been remarked, and equally there's no guarantee a remark would move your grade up.

Lancaster is an excellent uni, and I personally have had a wonderful time studying here. It's got a lovely compact campus with loads of green spaces, food outlets and study spaces, and from my experience, the support and teaching from staff has been great.
Don't forget that clearly places often have lower requirements (economics at Lancaster for example is usually AAB) so in terms of entry standard across the course Lancaster sits alongside other universities offering AAB.

If you like the look of the course and university, I would say take the opportunity while you have it but take the time to consider your options! You can always get your paper remarked anyway for yourself :smile:

Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @bjvyfcyvu

Congratulations on your offer at Lancaster! Like others have said, I wouldn't rely on other places being available once your maths has been remarked, and equally there's no guarantee a remark would move your grade up.

Lancaster is an excellent uni, and I personally have had a wonderful time studying here. It's got a lovely compact campus with loads of green spaces, food outlets and study spaces, and from my experience, the support and teaching from staff has been great.
Don't forget that clearly places often have lower requirements (economics at Lancaster for example is usually AAB) so in terms of entry standard across the course Lancaster sits alongside other universities offering AAB.

If you like the look of the course and university, I would say take the opportunity while you have it but take the time to consider your options! You can always get your paper remarked anyway for yourself :smile:

Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)

I'm going to get it remarked anyway to see if I could get it at AAB but just not a lot of time to make the decision but at least means I'm off to a very good university. Is there much to do in Lancaster?
I'm going to get it remarked anyway to see if I could get it at AAB but just not a lot of time to make the decision but at least means I'm off to a very good university. Is there much to do in Lancaster?

Loads of lovely restaurants, cafes and pubs in Lancaster. We have a cinema, a couple of small theatres and plenty of green spaces- Williamson Park is great, they host a the Highest Point music festival there and I've heard you can see some beautiful sunrises there as well (although I've never woken up early enough to see one!). It's also down the road from Morecambe which has a bowling alley, arcades, trampoline park etc. If you're into hiking, we're obviously nice and close to the Lake District, which makes for some great day trips, and there are plenty of nice walks around Lancaster too.

In terms of nightlife, we have the Sugarhouse which is the student union nightclub and is always a good night out, as well as loads of bars and pubs. We also have a college system at Lancaster. Each undergrad college has it's own bar and social space and hosts various event throughout the year including winter balls and extravs (big end of year parties with themes).

All in all, it has everything you'd expect from a small city, and everything you'd need as a student. It's admittedly not the busiest of cities, but with all the student societies and sports on offer, there's always loads to do during term time. The student union also run events of their own, and we have a weekly market on campus. I'd recommend having a look at the student union website to see what societies you might be interested in! https://lancastersu.co.uk/

Yasmin :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest