Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ^ Going by the pattern here, that usually means it's an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by globalista)
    Has anyone else had trouble with the references? Both of mine had real trouble getting the login email - it didn't make it through their junk filter or perhaps never was sent properly. I had to register one 3 times before it worked and the other is still lost out there, otherwise i would have submitted my app already!
    I had a problem with one of my referees! I entered his name correctly into the application form, then after saving, the system instead displayed my name in place of his as the second referee. I tried to change it to his name 3-4 times; each time the system replaced it with my name. I finally got it to work by shortening his forename - and to make the situation even more bizarre, when I went to check this time, it was displaying the full version of his name which I was trying unsuccessfully to enter before!

Technology... bah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    Hmm has anyone got any news about MSc Acc+Fin, MSc Fin, MSc Finance & Economics?
    I applied way back in November for the MSc Fin, and was placed onto a waiting list 3 weeks ago. So I'm guessing that I won't receive a final decision for at least another month.

ReputationRep:
    just got a conditional offer

FYI my application was sent to the department for consideration Dec 1st, 1st choice programme: Msc Media, Communication & Development.

good luck to all those still waiting for a decision!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

My first post, be gentle

Just got a conditional offer for Msc European Political Economy And the conditions are almost impossible to miss.

Does anyone have some knowledge of this course? Any current students or fellow applicants? Anyone know how competative this course is(guess its not among the most competative)?

Brgds
    Jørgen

ReputationRep:
    still shaking, just got a conditional offer for MPA Public Policy and Management. But, no GSS. I really do not know whether I can afford the programme - it's two years after all... but right now, I am just sooooo happy, I'll start worrying about the money tomorrow ;-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of waiting and its only been since december 17

ReputationRep:
    I expect I'll be waiting another month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCONNER)
    I expect I'll be waiting another month
    Same, applied at start of november, put on the waiting list day before they closed. So another month or so to go yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, first post here.

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions-

I'm applying for Social Research Methods which took 16/54 applicants last year. I'm currently doing anthropology at Sussex with a predicted 2:1/possible first. Do you reckon I stand much of a chance? Although Sussex isn't doing great on the league tables right now, we have an excellent anthropology department (number 5 I think...), and with LSE having the second best in the world they'll know how good the anthro department is at Sussex. I already have an offer from Warwick so if I don't get in I won't be too distraught.

Oh and be honest! I'm asking because I'm wondering whether you really need a first or to have gone to an ivy league university to get in to the LSE. My personal statement was probably good enough because I have offers from Soton, York and Warwick already.

Oh and should I apply for GSS now? I haven't done so yet because I'm bogged down in essays, but will this look bad that I haven't?

Thanks and be honest! I won't be offended!

Edit: Oh and on another note, what does it mean if you get put on the waiting list (I haven't been)? Is it that you'll be offered a place if enough people don't accept their offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Domo Kun)
    Hey guys, first post here.

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions-

I'm applying for Social Research Methods which took 16/54 applicants last year. I'm currently doing anthropology at Sussex with a predicted 2:1/possible first. Do you reckon I stand much of a chance? Although Sussex isn't doing great on the league tables right now, we have an excellent anthropology department (number 5 I think...), and with LSE having the second best in the world they'll know how good the anthro department is at Sussex. I already have an offer from Warwick so if I don't get in I won't be too distraught.

Oh and be honest! I'm asking because I'm wondering whether you really need a first or to have gone to an ivy league university to get in to the LSE. My personal statement was probably good enough because I have offers from Soton, York and Warwick already.

Oh and should I apply for GSS now? I haven't done so yet because I'm bogged down in essays, but will this look bad that I haven't?

Thanks and be honest! I won't be offended!

Edit: Oh and on another note, what does it mean if you get put on the waiting list (I haven't been)? Is it that you'll be offered a place if enough people don't accept their offers?
    I really don't know much about the course you're applying to so I may be wrong, but generally speaking as long as you're on track for a 2:1 it's always worth giving it a shot. They even encourage people whose grades are on the borderline to apply, so with a decent PS and good references you will be fine I reckon.

Well yea apparently they say the GSS are awarded on a first-come-first-served basis, so if you really want it you better start applying soon! I've looked at the application form, apart from the PS everything else seems to be relatively hassle-free, so it shouldn't take up too much time.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

I'm a little worried see. With many undergraduate LSE courses they ask for grades as low as BBB (A levels), even though they probably wouldn't dream of taking anyone who got lower than AAB. I assumed something similar may be the case with asking for a 2:1 even though in reality they'd only take a first..

Either way, I'm happy with Warwick, but LSE would be that bit better!

Incidentally, does anyone know if Social Research Methods is big for international students? I know LSE love their internationals, and unfortunately I'm not one.

I can only assume my references and personal statement hit the spot. With regard to the GSS I suppose I'll start when I finish these damn essays.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is taking really long... I applied for MSc Acc+Fin, app received nov 11, till now status is still unchanged...

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm from the U.S. and I'm just wondering what a 2:1 is equilavent to. In the US we have a scale out of 4.0

ReputationRep:
    On their website, the LSE states that they require the following from U.S. applicants for postgraduate degrees:
    "USA: BS, BA or JD with a GPA of 3.5" These are the minimum entry requirements.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/gradu...ts/Default.htm

ReputationRep:
    I think that LSE's rating of a 3.5GPA for a 2:1 is quite high. I always felt that a 2.6-2.9GPA was equivalent to a 2:2 so their rating surprised me. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Also I don't believe 3.5 is a "minimum entry requirement" rather a general guideline. Obviously if you're below this mark you'll have to make up for it in other areas of your app though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mat1314)
    Also I don't believe 3.5 is a "minimum entry requirement" rather a general guideline. Obviously if you're below this mark you'll have to make up for it in other areas of your app though.
    I don't know about that. They do state on that web page: "The following list shows the minimum entry requirements we would normally expect in terms of the qualifications offered in a number of countries."

I am of the impression that UK university admissions (at both the undergraduate and graduate level) is focused more on academic stats than in the U.S., but I might be wrong about this.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I've heard. They are interested in academic numbers and a good personal statement. I don't remember the LSE application asking about extracurricular activities or organizations. However, the personal statement is a good place for that.

ReputationRep:
    I've see people say on the forum that people with less than a 2:1 have been accepted before.

I should have clarified more. The other parts of the app I was referring to were GRE, PS, and work experience.

ReputationRep:
    But for those who were accepted with less than 2:1, were they less than 2:1 when they applied or they were at 2:1 but somehow didn't manage to meet the condition of 2:1 and still got in after appealing or other means?

Just curious.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.