Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSE-or-Broke)
    That's why I'm going to stay away from the online checking thing. I figure they'll e-mail me once they have an offer for me, until then no need to torture myself. I have the GSS form to fill anyway, that should keep me busy for a while.
    Sorry to dissapoint you but there WON'T be an email with an offer or rejection. (As you can read in past posts in this thread) LSE does not send an email to inform you of any changes in your online application status. You just have to endure the frequent online checks... Good luck tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    Do it quickly, have to say LSE are very tight with what they even offer you.
    What did they offer you then? In comparison to what you asked for I mean. I have read of occasions in previous years where student have been given 25,000+. Then again, this was on top of a scholarship offered so I guess they really wanted those people at the uni perhaps.

I asked for way too much and got rejected quite quickly, I have since gone back and managed to half the amount I require in the hope they will be able to work with me. I should be getting some feedback via post, but I am not too hopeful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmymagic07)
    What did they offer you then? In comparison to what you asked for I mean. I have read of occasions in previous years where student have been given 25,000+. Then again, this was on top of a scholarship offered so I guess they really wanted those people at the uni perhaps.

I asked for way too much and got rejected quite quickly, I have since gone back and managed to half the amount I require in the hope they will be able to work with me. I should be getting some feedback via post, but I am not too hopeful.
    I do not think that the amount of money (or your financial circumstances) are considered by the LSE admissions system. The application for finance from the GSS is confidential and not part of your academic application to your programme of study. Thus, if they reject someone, they do it because the applicant didn't meet their criteria or they didn't have enough places, not because they asked for "too much" money as you say.

ReputationRep:
    Dear me.

I have already been accepted on academic grounds, I was rejected for GSS support. With additional information they are said to reconsider - I have supplied additional information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmymagic07)

£25,000 is unlikely, I read on the website it is between £3,000 - £10,000.

I got less than half of what I wanted.

LSE at the end of the day don't care about anything but your ability to get the fees. They aren't particularly generous I must say, since my situation is quite delicate. Nonetheless, a scholarship is a scholarship and I'm very grateful for it.

Unlucky about not being able to secure it. Try other scholarships, there are many available.

ReputationRep:
    Can you attend with that amount?

I applied and basically asked for more than required, but since then I've managed to secure accommodation with my parents, thus saving quite a bit. The amount I have request now is the minimum amount I am likely to need. I've been in contact with their financial department via e-mails, but I'm not very hopeful, even though I explained why I required the amount with a break down of expenditures.

ReputationRep:
    @Unknown demon: could you maybe suggest some of the other scholarships possibilities you talk about? Are they also for international students? Becuse I haven't really found that many yet (i'm from belgium). Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dri)
    @Unknown demon: could you maybe suggest some of the other scholarships possibilities you talk about? Are they also for international students? Becuse I haven't really found that many yet (i'm from belgium). Thanks...
    Please...I'm having trouble finding these too. Maybe for overseas students as well? I didn't apply for GSS because I know I probably wouldn't get anything significant from it. How likely is it to receive academic scholarships from LSE? I'm also having trouble finding anything else.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of scholarships available are for overseas students. They also have country specific ones available.
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/stu...App/Awards.htm
    This site has links to all the information you require.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dri)
    YES. The vast majority of scholarships in most cases are designed primarily for international students, this immediatly discourages most U.K applicants from applying because they are disqualified. I find this odd since when I last checked the LSE was based in London (read: U.K).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    YES. The vast majority of scholarships in most cases are designed primarily for international students, this immediatly discourages most U.K applicants from applying because they are disqualified. I find this odd since when I last checked the LSE was based in London (read: U.K).
    I understand the bulk of finance given by the LSE (through GSS) does not make a distinction between overseas and home applicants. I know there are individual scholarhips that can only be accessed by nationals of a particular country, that are not available to UK applicants, but that's because they are funded by an individual, institution or government from that country or countries. When applying to Oxford I found that nearly all scholarships are researved for international students.

I understand what you mean- the fact that UK national should get more attention when it comes to the availability of funding for postgraduate study. However, at the same time, when highly capable applicants from most other countries (esp. outside the EU and US) they often face higher funding obstacles to aspire to graduate study in the UK.

I am not rich, and I could still afford one year at the LSE (just about!). But if I was not stinking rich in , say, Mexico, I simply would find it impossible to even contemplate applying to the LSE. So it makes sense to make these funds available

ReputationRep:
    So I just got this message "A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed. Processing involves checking by a senior member of staff, and occasionally verification of one or more details by your Department...."

What do I expect?

ReputationRep:
    Heya everyone, I've applied for the Msc IR programme, still not heard anything two months after submitting - be honest, do you think they are they just waiting to reject me?

Anyone got offers/rejections for IR?

Congrats to those with offers for any programme!!

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on whether others have received acceptances, if everyone else who applied to your program has received rejections and waiting lists...then you should be in good stead. If ppl have started to receive acceptances more than a month ago (and they applied same time as you), then you should call and enquire.

Otherwise I think its pretty normal, I just got my acceptance and I submitted on nov 10. Some courses take longer than 8 weeks to assess.

PS : scarborough = scarborough beach?

ReputationRep:
    So I just got this message "A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed. Processing involves checking by a senior member of staff, and occasionally verification of one or more details by your Department...."

What do I expect?
    Does this mean I got in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    Well it depends on whether others have received acceptances, if everyone else who applied to your program has received rejections and waiting lists...then you should be in good stead. If ppl have started to receive acceptances more than a month ago (and they applied same time as you), then you should call and enquire.

Otherwise I think its pretty normal, I just got my acceptance and I submitted on nov 10. Some courses take longer than 8 weeks to assess.

PS : scarborough = scarborough beach?
    Nah Scarborough, UK mate! Congrats on your acceptance, what course is it?

ReputationRep:
    If you were given an offer from both Oxford and LSE would you without question take the Oxford offer? Reputation-wise are the two institutions miles apart?

PS...Im posting this on the Oxford thread also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alig23)
    Heya everyone, I've applied for the Msc IR programme, still not heard anything two months after submitting - be honest, do you think they are they just waiting to reject me?

Anyone got offers/rejections for IR?

Congrats to those with offers for any programme!!
    I applied for the MSc IR. I submitted the online application in early December and haven't heard anything from them yet. There don't seem to be any acceptances or rejections for MSc IR yet, as far as I've read in this forum. But then again, they did say 8-10 weeks, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Can I ask what your current and your predicted grades are? And also what programme you're currently studying?

My current average (for my second year) is a 2:i and I'm currently in my final year of Politics and International Relations (BSc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andante)
    If you were given an offer from both Oxford and LSE would you without question take the Oxford offer? Reputation-wise are the two institutions miles apart?

Pick where you'll be happier studying. You can't lose with that decision.

What course btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andante)

LSE is better than Oxford in a number of fields, including IR. Everyone who's anyone is at the LSE (David Held, Chris Brown, Barry Buzan, etc) or has taught at the LSE (Martin Wight, H. Bull, etc) and there are other enormous academics like Lord Professor Giddens (department of sociology). Many would tell you, in fact, that the LSE has the best IR department in Europe. I cannot name even one single prominent academic in IR that teaches in Oxford. The only deparment in the UK that has similarly important academics of IR is, sadly, Aberystwyth (Andrew Linklater, Steven Smith, Peter Jackson...).

I've applied to both Oxford and the LSE. I know that my lecturers would be disappointed if I go for Oxford, because if you are in it really for the love of the subject, then the LSE is a yes, no questions asked.

In the unlikely situation that I got offers from both universities, the decision wouldn't be that simple. I love my subject, but going to Oxford is a dream of mine. So there.:confused:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.