Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Chris Brown teaches at LSE? Maybe he can teach me some dance move if/when I start my course!

ba-dum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leviathan1)
    LSE is better than Oxford in a number of fields, including IR. Everyone who's anyone is at the LSE (David Held, Chris Brown, Barry Buzan, etc) or has taught at the LSE (Martin Wight, H. Bull, etc) and there are other enormous academics like Lord Professor Giddens (department of sociology). Many would tell you, in fact, that the LSE has the best IR department in Europe. I cannot name even one single prominent academic in IR that teaches in Oxford. The only deparment in the UK that has similarly important academics of IR is, sadly, Aberystwyth (Andrew Linklater, Steven Smith, Peter Jackson...).

I've applied to both Oxford and the LSE. I know that my lecturers would be disappointed if I go for Oxford, because if you are in it really for the love of the subject, then the LSE is a yes, no questions asked.

In the unlikely situation that I got offers from both universities, the decision wouldn't be that simple. I love my subject, but going to Oxford is a dream of mine. So there.:confused:
    Quite contrast to what my lecturers told me, as soon as I said I wanted to do an MA, Oxford was the first word. Despite LSE's rep my lecturers pretty muh discouraged me from applying (read: tried to). But were more than happy to write my references etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leviathan1)
    I applied for the MSc IR. I submitted the online application in early December and haven't heard anything from them yet. There don't seem to be any acceptances or rejections for MSc IR yet, as far as I've read in this forum. But then again, they did say 8-10 weeks, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Can I ask what your current and your predicted grades are? And also what programme you're currently studying?

My current average (for my second year) is a 2:i and I'm currently in my final year of Politics and International Relations (BSc).
    Heya mate, i'm studying Geography (BA), my current average is 64, with some 70+ marks dragged down by an atrocious phyiscal geography module (don't ask me why I picked it). You applied anywhere else? I've got offers from Warwick and Edinburgh, good back-ups but i'd love to go to LSE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alig23)
    Heya mate, i'm studying Geography (BA), my current average is 64, with some 70+ marks dragged down by an atrocious phyiscal geography module (don't ask me why I picked it). You applied anywhere else? I've got offers from Warwick and Edinburgh, good back-ups but i'd love to go to LSE!
    Yes I'm applying to Oxford, and I may be applying to Cambridge if I can get my act together. So basically all the best universities. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. If I don't get offers from any of them by May, I'll apply to other universities with rolling admissions.

I think I'd like to apply to Warwick and St. Andrews if my first choices turn me down, but I don't know when, or if, they have deadlines.

The other thing is that the MSc in IR at the LSE costs nearly 15 grand, so if I don't get any funding from GSS I'll be unlikely to take up the offer anyway.

Good luck to you. I'll let you posted and let you know if I get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alig23)
    Nah Scarborough, UK mate! Congrats on your acceptance, what course is it?
    LOL I thought Scarborough Beach in Perth, Western Australia. thanks mate, I got accepted into MSc Acc+Fin. Good luck with yours, though I wouldnt be too apprehensive as it seems that rejections come pretty fast.

Your application is probably still going through the rounds within the faculty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    Quite contrast to what my lecturers told me, as soon as I said I wanted to do an MA, Oxford was the first word. Despite LSE's rep my lecturers pretty muh discouraged me from applying (read: tried to). But were more than happy to write my references etc.

Thanks for the input guys, however it is all rather 'academic' at this stage as the big 'O' have just rejected me . Judging by the couple of responses above I should feel satisfied with an offer from LSE....so..... I'll get over it quickly!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I've found this site. My online status changed from the "under consideration" to the infamous "A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed." today. What do you think my chances are?

Anyone else out there who applied to the MSc Media & Communications?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, got that same message today for MSc International Political Economy....I've been anxiously checking "LSE for you" all day...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if people have been rejected with that message?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCONNER)
    Does anyone know if people have been rejected with that message?
    Nope, not anyone I've seen or heard of.

Relax.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've sent my application for the ADMIS course on the 18th December and recieved the 3rd email saying that it has been downloaded on the 19th December. However, I am still waiting for the 4th email which will contain my LSE applicant number so I can join in the clicking anxiously on MyLSE

Is this normal or should I contact them?

Thank you and good luck to everyone (congrats to those who have already entered!)

ReputationRep:
    UConner: I got the same message, also for International Political Economy!I've been waiting for their decision for 48 hours already so I'm reaaaaaaaaaaly tired of waiting now :s But let's just hope for the best, eh? :-)

ReputationRep:
    its almost 2 days now since i got that fateful decision has been made message... no reply yet!

ReputationRep:
    I read on their faq that it takes upto 14 days for the issue on an applicant number, so I guess that answers my question. They are probably waiting for the second application cycle to begin. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All-in)
    I read on their faq that it takes upto 14 days for the issue on an applicant number, so I guess that answers my question. They are probably waiting for the second application cycle to begin. :sigh:
    it'll take upto 8 weeks for them to give u a decision after u get ur id... so ur clickin wont start for sometime now... the best thing to do is jus sit back relax and catch some sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dri)
    I got the (in)famous message "A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed" as well...!! Going on the other replies here, the answer has a good chance to be positive, right?

Argh I can't wait... too much tension :s

hey its 2 days since u posted this... did u get a reply...? i got the same message on my tracker... its been a day and a half now...

ReputationRep:
    I recieved a letter from LSE just now saying my application was unsuccessful. The fourth email probably got lost. Good luck to everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pavithra816)
    hey its 2 days since u posted this... did u get a reply...? i got the same message on my tracker... its been a day and a half now...
    not yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All-in)
    I recieved a letter from LSE just now saying my application was unsuccessful. The fourth email probably got lost. Good luck to everyone else.

am sorry to hear that All-in... am sure u'll find a really nice course in another equally reputable uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dri)
    not yet!
    which course have u applied for Dri?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.