Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    U.K University, Grades 65% average, Internships: U.K parliament, Gulf Centre for Strategic Studies, BBC. Pretty mediocre by everyone elses standards tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    U.K University, Grades 65% average, Internships: U.K parliament, Gulf Centre for Strategic Studies, BBC. Pretty mediocre by everyone elses standards tbh.
    Nice, worked in London I assume? How did you go about getting that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiplexed)
    Nice, worked in London I assume? How did you go about getting that?
    In all honest, worst work experience ever, don't even do it or contemplate it. Saw a vacancy and applied, decent money, but not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bayvet)
    I also applied to MSc acc+fin with similar numbers. 710, 70% quant, 97% verbal, 6.0 AWA. Haven't heard back yet..
    excellent english score mate...when did you get your reg notice/student number.. mine was nov 9.

ReputationRep:
    i applied for msc finance
    it's been more than a month still havent heard anything yet
    anyone else applying for the same course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    excellent english score mate...when did you get your reg notice/student number.. mine was nov 9.
    Not sure what you mean by student number, but I applied and received emails 2 and 3 on Jan 19th. Still awaiting email #4.

Congrats on your admittance btw. Are you ready to pay exorbitant London prices? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bayvet)
    Not sure what you mean by student number, but I applied and received emails 2 and 3 on Jan 19th. Still awaiting email #4.

Congrats on your admittance btw. Are you ready to pay exorbitant London prices? :eek:
    I mean like an email giving you a ref no so that you can use the LSE tracking system. From that point it takes 2 months....

And I will be trying to scrimp to pay those fees... hope it's worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by germaineilya)
    i applied for msc finance
    it's been more than a month still havent heard anything yet
    anyone else applying for the same course?

I applied for msc finance too, and my 2nd choice is msc financial mathematics. it's only been 2 wks, so....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    I mean like an email giving you a ref no so that you can use the LSE tracking system. From that point it takes 2 months....

And I will be trying to scrimp to pay those fees... hope it's worth it!
    I haven't received that information yet. Two months from that point?!

I guess I won't know my fate until mid-March.

ReputationRep:
    How long after acceptance should I expect my offer packet in the mail?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for any double-degrees in IR or European Studies? (Sciences Po, PKU, ..) And already heard back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by degree-hunter)
    Has anyone applied for any double-degrees in IR or European Studies? (Sciences Po, PKU, ..) And already heard back?
    I don't think you will hear back from them before the deadline in march.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who applied for the City Design and Social Science program heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alig23)
    I've got an IR offer. I'm studying geography at Newcastle with an average mark of 64 last year. Nerves calmed?

:eek: :eek: :eek: what!!! did you sleep with your refree or what??????

ReputationRep:
    seeing so many offers coming in already has made me worried that I will be applying too late, even though I was ascertained by one staff member that i have 99% chance of getting in.......i should start my LSE app sooner now, not till i m done with my cambs whose deadline is 30th jan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCONNER)
    How long after acceptance should I expect my offer packet in the mail?
    Within 1 week?

There is a possibility that they send the offer packs in batches. So if you just miss the previous batch you might have to wait a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pillay84)
    :eek: :eek: :eek: what!!! did you sleep with your refree or what??????
    Come on mate, I have morals....having said that the quick nosh I gave him in tutorial can't have hurt

To be fair, if I can explain, that mark of 64 was composed of relevant modules where I got 70+, dragged down by one atrocious physical module. My dissertation should be nicely 70+ (which my referee will have conyeved to them) and I'm doing all relevant modules this year.

Having said that I have absolutely no work experience, so the message has to be: do a good personal statement!

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys happen to know when you can start applying for accommodation? And I heard somewhere it's about a 50/50 chance of getting accommodation from LSE, would that be correct?

ReputationRep:
    I think from the candidate profiles who've been successful we can see a pattern emerging as to what LSE want from potential applicants.

It seems to be having stellar grades as a necessary requirement isn't so important as people have made it out to be and that the minimum entry requirements are usually enough to get you in.

Firstly and academic wise from a purely U.K university perspective they'll accept students who show promise and cumulatively improve year on year in their degree. So if you got a 2.2. in first year and then get a v.high 2.1/1st class in second year it seems to be no problem.

Secondly, its also important to note that most people from what I'm gathering have made, shock horror, their personal statements - PERSONAL. There is no use throwing together some generic crap in the hope that the admissions will like it.

Lastly, work experience. I cannot stress to any of the people considering applying how important this is. Its not hard and fast for me to say you HAVE to possess considerable experience but its more likely to help rather than hinder an application to the LSE.

I hope this serves to show you that, yes LSE is a difficult nut to crack, but it is byno means impossible. Judging from the quality of candidates here I hope to see you all in 9 months time . You sound like an interesting bunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    I think from the candidate profiles who've been successful we can see a pattern emerging as to what LSE want from potential applicants.

It seems to be having stellar grades as a necessary requirement isn't so important as people have made it out to be and that the minimum entry requirements are usually enough to get you in.

Firstly and academic wise from a purely U.K university perspective they'll accept students who show promise and cumulatively improve year on year in their degree. So if you got a 2.2. in first year and then get a v.high 2.1/1st class in second year it seems to be no problem.

Secondly, its also important to note that most people from what I'm gathering have made, shock horror, their personal statements - PERSONAL. There is no use throwing together some generic crap in the hope that the admissions will like it.

Lastly, work experience. I cannot stress to any of the people considering applying how important this is. Its not hard and fast for me to say you HAVE to possess considerable experience but its more likely to help rather than hinder an application to the LSE.

I hope this serves to show you that, yes LSE is a difficult nut to crack, but it is byno means impossible. Judging from the quality of candidates here I hope to see you all in 9 months time . You sound like an interesting bunch.
    References as well I presume.

It seems the admission criteria is not as academic as I perceived it to be before I applied on the basis of people getting offers here. But then again, there's not that many of us here that have applied to quantitative degrees where they might place more emphasis on academic criteria?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.