LSE Postgraduate applications 2009/2010 Watch

Karat
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shanntotheont)
I just got the famous "a decision has been made" today for philosophy and public policy! Exciting!
Congrats!
greenback8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rodrigoma1)
Got an offer for the MSc Finance (Full-Time) yesterday!

Anyone else applied to this course?
Congrats! I just submitted my application on Sunday. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon!
Sunflower52
Report 9 years ago
Just got a conditional offer - MSc International Relations!!! Applied in Mid-Jan.
Bkfn
Report 9 years ago
:O well done! what are the conditions?
Sunflower52
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bkfn)
:O well done! what are the conditions?
GPA 3.5, which isn't bad at all considering Cambridge's conditions are much higher (but still manageable)...now I'm deciding between Cambridge and LSE
eun7117
Report 9 years ago
my prof still did not write a ref letter damn it.
Karat
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sunflower52)
GPA 3.5, which isn't bad at all considering Cambridge's conditions are much higher (but still manageable)...now I'm deciding between Cambridge and LSE
Welcome to my world. One of my professors warned me yesterday that LSE is quite a miserable place to study (and London an unpleasant place to live for students with limited financial resources). Not very motivating. On the other hand, its IR department is better than Cambridge's, that cannot be debated. Then again, Cambridge is Cambridge so its overall reputation is better. Tough decision.
Applyhell
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MPA-please)
I also applied for the MPA (Stream PPM) and was accepted some weeks ok. From my opinion you should be accepted as long as you made clear why you applied for the European stream. That's the only thing I do not see when looking at your profile. Besides that you do sound like a very adequate candidate for the MPA :-) hope to see you in September!

ps. If I understood correctly you study at Maastricht (= location) and I am very sure that LSE knows that that's a very good uni...
Cool, thanks. Congrats, i hope to see you in September as well . I think i was able to convey nice personal story about my EU orientation.

Maastricht is pretty good for what it is and I cannot expect much more for the tuition fees charged here.
Sunflower52
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Karat)
Welcome to my world. One of my professors warned me yesterday that LSE is quite a miserable place to study (and London an unpleasant place to live for students with limited financial resources). Not very motivating. On the other hand, its IR department is better than Cambridge's, that cannot be debated. Then again, Cambridge is Cambridge so its overall reputation is better. Tough decision.
This is verbatim what I've been saying to people who ask about grad school for awhile - the exact same dilemma. However, from what I can tell, Cambridge is really good for European studies, which is my focus within IR and the area of my master's dissertation.
Clomipramine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone got the GSS award? Are we supposed to mail them supporting documents, such as my father's income statement, after getting the award?
Bkfn
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sunflower52)
Cambridge is great. Im doing politics at undergrad there right now and the IR department has just had a revamp, there are some amazing academics and you have a lot of freedom when it comes to who supervises you. Also Cambridge is beautiful and is cheaper to live in than London. I always thought that there will be so many chances to work and live in london in teh future but there is no reason to experience cambridge other than these few years when you are studying.
timmymagic07
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Clomipramine)
Anyone got the GSS award? Are we supposed to mail them supporting documents, such as my father's income statement, after getting the award?
I don't think so?

Did you mention your father's income? I didn't, I simply mentioned my own income.
Catalan Midget
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Clomipramine)
I applied the other day, and after just two hours it said on my application form online that I wasn't getting any. Did they check it all that quickly or was that from before i applied??
jackplace
Report 9 years ago
Hey everybody, Applied a couple of weeks ago, still waiting for fourth email ?! is it normal it takes so long? anyways good luck to all of you applying and congrats to those of you who got in!
milkinit
Report 9 years ago
@ jackplace

I applied last Feb 4. I am still waiting for my fourth email as well.

Then again, their current processing times website shows a lag of about 10 days for submitted applications.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/gra...Processing.htm
jackplace
Report 9 years ago
okay that's reassuring ! good luck with your application then. Fingers crossed...
Anti-Everything
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am also waiting for the 4th email. Will probably get it next Monday or Tuesday.
lee_miller
Report 9 years ago
catalan - similar thing happened to me as well. Within 1 day I was rejected. Must be pretty stringent standards.

As for living in London on the cheap. It can definitely be done. If you don't like big cities than it's probably not the place for you, but I would never describe it as miserable for living with limited financial means.
Daretel
Report 9 years ago
Catlan and Lee Miller,

Did you have a significant disparity between the "costs of attendance" and your "available funds for attendance" (I forget LSE's precise terminology), as computed in the GSS application?

Do you think you provided pretty compelling reasons for financial aid in the GSS personal statement?

Just curious - I wonder what exactly are the conditions for financial aid through GSS...
lee_miller
Report 9 years ago
I had about 3,000 GDP discrepancy or so I think which quite frankly I was lowballing. I thought I wrote a compelling personal statement about why I needed funds (ie I showed why I couldn't get funds from traditional sources like parents and the government) and also had applied for a couple of scholarships, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.3%
No (482)
72.7%

Watched Threads