Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanntotheont)
    I just got the famous "a decision has been made" today for philosophy and public policy! Exciting!
    Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodrigoma1)
    Got an offer for the MSc Finance (Full-Time) yesterday!

Anyone else applied to this course?
    Congrats! I just submitted my application on Sunday. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon!

ReputationRep:
    Just got a conditional offer - MSc International Relations!!! Applied in Mid-Jan.

ReputationRep:
    :O well done! what are the conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bkfn)
    :O well done! what are the conditions?
    GPA 3.5, which isn't bad at all considering Cambridge's conditions are much higher (but still manageable)...now I'm deciding between Cambridge and LSE

ReputationRep:
    my prof still did not write a ref letter damn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunflower52)
    GPA 3.5, which isn't bad at all considering Cambridge's conditions are much higher (but still manageable)...now I'm deciding between Cambridge and LSE
    Welcome to my world. One of my professors warned me yesterday that LSE is quite a miserable place to study (and London an unpleasant place to live for students with limited financial resources). Not very motivating. On the other hand, its IR department is better than Cambridge's, that cannot be debated. Then again, Cambridge is Cambridge so its overall reputation is better. Tough decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPA-please)
    I also applied for the MPA (Stream PPM) and was accepted some weeks ok. From my opinion you should be accepted as long as you made clear why you applied for the European stream. That's the only thing I do not see when looking at your profile. Besides that you do sound like a very adequate candidate for the MPA :-) hope to see you in September!

ps. If I understood correctly you study at Maastricht (= location) and I am very sure that LSE knows that that's a very good uni...
    Cool, thanks. Congrats, i hope to see you in September as well . I think i was able to convey nice personal story about my EU orientation.

Maastricht is pretty good for what it is and I cannot expect much more for the tuition fees charged here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karat)
    Welcome to my world. One of my professors warned me yesterday that LSE is quite a miserable place to study (and London an unpleasant place to live for students with limited financial resources). Not very motivating. On the other hand, its IR department is better than Cambridge's, that cannot be debated. Then again, Cambridge is Cambridge so its overall reputation is better. Tough decision.
    This is verbatim what I've been saying to people who ask about grad school for awhile - the exact same dilemma. However, from what I can tell, Cambridge is really good for European studies, which is my focus within IR and the area of my master's dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the GSS award? Are we supposed to mail them supporting documents, such as my father's income statement, after getting the award?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunflower52)
    Cambridge is great. Im doing politics at undergrad there right now and the IR department has just had a revamp, there are some amazing academics and you have a lot of freedom when it comes to who supervises you. Also Cambridge is beautiful and is cheaper to live in than London. I always thought that there will be so many chances to work and live in london in teh future but there is no reason to experience cambridge other than these few years when you are studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clomipramine)
    Anyone got the GSS award? Are we supposed to mail them supporting documents, such as my father's income statement, after getting the award?
    I don't think so?

Did you mention your father's income? I didn't, I simply mentioned my own income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clomipramine)
    I applied the other day, and after just two hours it said on my application form online that I wasn't getting any. Did they check it all that quickly or was that from before i applied??

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody, Applied a couple of weeks ago, still waiting for fourth email ?! is it normal it takes so long? anyways good luck to all of you applying and congrats to those of you who got in!

ReputationRep:
    @ jackplace

I applied last Feb 4. I am still waiting for my fourth email as well.

Then again, their current processing times website shows a lag of about 10 days for submitted applications.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/gra...Processing.htm

ReputationRep:
    okay that's reassuring ! good luck with your application then. Fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    I am also waiting for the 4th email. Will probably get it next Monday or Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    catalan - similar thing happened to me as well. Within 1 day I was rejected. Must be pretty stringent standards.

As for living in London on the cheap. It can definitely be done. If you don't like big cities than it's probably not the place for you, but I would never describe it as miserable for living with limited financial means.

ReputationRep:
    Catlan and Lee Miller,

Did you have a significant disparity between the "costs of attendance" and your "available funds for attendance" (I forget LSE's precise terminology), as computed in the GSS application?

Do you think you provided pretty compelling reasons for financial aid in the GSS personal statement?

Just curious - I wonder what exactly are the conditions for financial aid through GSS...

ReputationRep:
    I had about 3,000 GDP discrepancy or so I think which quite frankly I was lowballing. I thought I wrote a compelling personal statement about why I needed funds (ie I showed why I couldn't get funds from traditional sources like parents and the government) and also had applied for a couple of scholarships, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.