Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When you say "lowballing," are you saying that 3,000 pounds was more or less than what you needed?

Also, I wonder what's been the experience so far with applicants with GSS in terms of their target funding amount. Are estimated funding shortfalls a yes-or-no affair [e.g. too high of a request = GSS rejection] for GSS? For example, if a student states they need 5,000 pounds to cover funding shortfalls, does GSS evaluate the request on a yes-or-no basis, or do they provide an amount (lower, obviously) based on their own internal calculations?

Also, how do they treat loans? If accepted to LSE, I plan to secure some American loans to pay for school. Assuming my credit permits it, I'm sure I could get some ridiculously high interest private loans to cover the entire shortfall, but I would clearly rather not resort to this. Hence, some GSS aid. Would GSS just say, "Well this candidate could get private loans, so no money for them."

Any perspective on these issues would be very appreciated. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daretel)
    When you say "lowballing," are you saying that 3,000 pounds was more or less than what you needed?

Also, I wonder what's been the experience so far with applicants with GSS in terms of their target funding amount. Are estimated funding shortfalls a yes-or-no affair [e.g. too high of a request = GSS rejection] for GSS? For example, if a student states they need 5,000 pounds to cover funding shortfalls, does GSS evaluate the request on a yes-or-no basis, or do they provide an amount (lower, obviously) based on their own internal calculations?

Also, how do they treat loans? If accepted to LSE, I plan to secure some American loans to pay for school. Assuming my credit permits it, I'm sure I could get some ridiculously high interest private loans to cover the entire shortfall, but I would clearly rather not resort to this. Hence, some GSS aid. Would GSS just say, "Well this candidate could get private loans, so no money for them."

Any perspective on these issues would be very appreciated. Cheers.
    Dartel, you have asked some really good questions that I have also been pondering.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I have what it takes to study at LSE and I think I have a good chance of getting in. I just don't have the ability to pay for my studies without a) going into massive debt b) selling a kidney!

ReputationRep:
    I mean 3,000 pounds was probably a bit low. I gave the best possible scenarios for finding funding elsewhere. I'm assuming that if you are a 'worthy' candidate according to their criteria, that they will give you some funding over no money (ie I don't believe it's a yes or no). I'm in the same position as above, but hopefully I should be able to take out loans without crazy high interest as long as one of my parents co-signs the loan. In the end, I've deemed the debt worth it so as long as I'm able to secure the funding I will do so....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmymagic07)
    I don't think so?

Did you mention your father's income? I didn't, I simply mentioned my own income.
    If you mentioned your own income, did you have to send them something to prove it? I think they mentioned it under the "terms and conditions of the award" section online.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a simple yes-or-no affair. It seems some people have requested for 10,000 pounds and got it too. I requested for about the same amount but got only around 5700 pounds.

I also wonder how the system works. :confused:

Most importantly, do I have to sell my liver/kidney now to make up for the difference now?

ReputationRep:
    I had something in the region of 4000 in shortfall, applied for about 6000, and got 3300.
    I also stated that I could cover the shortfall by getting more gevernmental loans, but said that it would be difficult for me take up so much loan.
    Got the answer one day after I applied.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose the real question becomes: what if after you've sold your kidney, you still have a shortfall? I bet if you mentioned that in your GSS form, they'd be very impressed...or terrified...

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone. One more thing though, for the people who received such quick answers from LSE: Had you already been accepted and had you signaled your intention to take up your place of study at LSE? Just curious because my application is still being processed by LSE. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I just received an offer from the LSE for the Social Research Methods MSc. Problem is they offer is conditional on me getting first class honours. Seeing as my average is 63, what are they thinking?

I won't be able to get a 1st, and they should probably be able to see that. So why send me an offer like this?

I assume it's not in their interests to send out offers that people can't reach. Should I contact them and ask if they've made a mistake?

Looks like I'll be going to Bristol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Domo Kun)
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I just received an offer from the LSE for the Social Research Methods MSc. Problem is they offer is conditional on me getting first class honours. Seeing as my average is 63, what are they thinking?

I won't be able to get a 1st, and they should probably be able to see that. So why send me an offer like this?

I assume it's not in their interests to send out offers that people can't reach. Should I contact them and ask if they've made a mistake?

Looks like I'll be going to Bristol...
    Might they mean your third year results rather than the overall result? If not, that wouldn't be too untypical for LSE. I applied there for undergrad as well an git a pretty much impossible offer (I'm not from the UK and our system has about 10 different marks that all fall in the AAA range...really complicated way to calculate an average). I got it in the end so I don't know their policy about keeping an offer even though you scored slightly below.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the helpful responses everyone. One more thing though, for the people who received such quick answers from LSE: Had you already been accepted and had you signaled your intention to take up your place of study at LSE? Just curious because my application is still being processed by LSE. Cheers.
    Mine took a few days - think 4 or 5 days - for them to reply with the GSS funding. At that time I'd already accepted my offer. But if you write a good reason why they should give you funding, they'll give it to you with your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clomipramine)
    Mine took a few days - think 4 or 5 days - for them to reply with the GSS funding. At that time I'd already accepted my offer. But if you write a good reason why they should give you funding, they'll give it to you with your offer.
    I disagree. I was not given GSS and I am pretty sure it's because of the income of my parents which sounds like a lot at first. I explained why the current situation in my family (we've had some very tough years financially, not due to financial crisis) makes it impossibe for my parents to pay the fees and why I would be the one to pay for everything and take a loan. Yet, I was not given GSS.

ReputationRep:
    Did u guys apply for GSS after being admitted? THink I should apply or am I too late for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPA-please)
    I disagree. I was not given GSS and I am pretty sure it's because of the income of my parents which sounds like a lot at first. I explained why the current situation in my family (we've had some very tough years financially, not due to financial crisis) makes it impossibe for my parents to pay the fees and why I would be the one to pay for everything and take a loan. Yet, I was not given GSS.
    I thought they ask how much from your parents' income can be used to fund your education, and not how much your parents' income actually is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clomipramine)
    I thought they ask how much from your parents' income can be used to fund your education, and not how much your parents' income actually is?
    Mmh, I did the application about 3 months ago so I do not remember all the details but I am pretty sure that I had to write both the income of my parents and the amount of money they would be supporting me with...

ReputationRep:
    I think this really depends from case to case. If i am correct they ask for your household income, if you will be supported by your household. If your parents figure in your household, then ok, you have to list that, but i guess that if you're independent, normally speaking, you should list the parental support later on.
    ...Waiting is REALLY annoying...

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact you have to put down your parents income might be a stumbling block in itself?
    I originally applied for 20,000 or so, got rejected after a couple of weeks. Then put through some additional information that halved my request, I was then awarded slightly less than half the total I originally applied for.

I spoke only of my income, I did mention my parents allowing me to stay with them for the year in additional information, hence the halving of required amount. It will still be tight, but I now have a much better chance of attending then I did before.

I didn't mention my parents income as frankly, I don't see how that really has anything to do with it - I am paying for it!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    i got the decision has been posted message!!! are u guys dead sure that 100% of the people who get this message have got offers? I cant wait till the offer has been made message comes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shre2711)
    hey guys,
    i got the decision has been posted message!!! are u guys dead sure that 100% of the people who get this message have got offers? I cant wait till the offer has been made message comes up.
    Pretty sure, yes. You are in all likelihood the next person to confirm it.

ReputationRep:
    thanks karat, i certainly hope so!:-)
    And one more question, do the conditions of the offer come up on the tracker or do u have to wait for the letter to know the conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shre2711)
    hey guys,
    TOLD YOU everything will be okay, congrats on the offer!!!!!

Does anyone know how long they take for the Msc finance offers? I guess if i hadn't heard back means I'm not rejected yet ! (its been over a month since I sent my application off so obviously thinking they forgot about me!):woo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.