Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nope ... I grew up in Calgary so I decided to do my BHSc in Calgary. Also doing my MBA here. In hindsight though, I kind of regret having stayed here, especially since finance is so heavy on pedigree.... but then of course, if I hadn't stayed in Calgary, then I wouldn't have fallen in love with finance hehe.

Goodluck to yourself as well!

(Original post by Fares)
    Then, did you go to McMaster?

Where are you pursuing your MBA at?

good luck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    Does everyone think it would be beneficial to state:

1. Uni
    2. Grade (predicted)
    3. Time - from application received at LSE to response (be it offer/rejection)
    4. Any other information relevant to the application.

Dont you think this would help us all get a somewhat 'better' picture of what LSE may base offers on?
    1. QMUL
    2. 65% average - thus far, predicted high 2.1/low 1st
    3. Govt dept received 10th Nov, applied for: comparative politics (asia); china in a comparative perspective
    4. Work exp - BBC (radio), Parliament (researcher), Think Tank (researcher)

Doubt I'll hear a thing till next year, its frustrating having to wait.

Again, good luck to all of you guys.

ReputationRep:
    1. Cass Business School , City University London
    2. 2:1 (65.31)
    3. Application submitted to the department on Nov 12
    4. Course applied for is M.Sc Management, Organisations and Governance

ReputationRep:
    nope

ReputationRep:
    For all those people that applied for Management, Organisations and Governance, did you all have to take the GMAT or GRE.

ReputationRep:
    Not if you graduate from a UK uni.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you did, because on the actual management web-page it says that a GMAT or GRE is required for that course, and that it is only the Public Managment course where it is preferred. Whereas on the LSE general postgrad page it says its only for non-UK students. Heres the link, which one do u think's right, because im considering applying and dont have a GMAT, even though i went to a UK uni.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/management/general.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    I thought you did, because on the actual management web-page it says that a GMAT or GRE is required for that course, and that it is only the Public Managment course where it is preferred. Whereas on the LSE general postgrad page it says its only for non-UK students. Heres the link, which one do u think's right, because im considering applying and dont have a GMAT, even though i went to a UK uni.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/management/general.htm
    On the management school's website I think it says GRE is encouraged rather than as a prerequisite to an application. Although on the hard-copy/web version of the prospectus, it says it's only required for non-UK students.

Tbh, I think if it came down to a decision, possessing GRE mark wouldn't tip anything in your favour if your PS/Grades/References don't do the job.

Edit: I have only just now checked that link you posted and you are right, it says REQUIRED instead of recommended. Last month, when I was applying, the website said it was recommended. What happened, lol?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, i saw a couple of month back when it said only for non-UK students and was going to apply, but then the whole management web-site change last month and was up-dated and then it said required, this is what stopped me from applying - i think im going to ask LSE themselves, it would be abit annoying if you dont need it now cos ive sent all my other apps of.

ReputationRep:
    I did not have to take the GRE. Even though I am an international student I did my UG at a UK Uni so that saved me !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincible)
    I did not have to take the GRE. Even though I am an international student I did my UG at a UK Uni so that saved me !
    Did you speak to the LSE admsisons tutors at all, or did you just assume that you didnt need the GMAT from the web-site?

ReputationRep:
    When I gave in my application they wrote back to me saying they need my GMAT scores since I am from India and thought I went to an Indian University. But after I wrote back to them that I did my ug from a UK uni they said I don't need to given in GRE/GMAT scores. Plus I already have an offer from UCL so I wud say I am not that desperate ! LOL

ReputationRep:
    Hi !

I would like to hear about my chances to be admitted to LSE Acc. and Finance or Finance and Economics next year.

Here is my profile:
    GMAT : 710 pc. 94% (Q50 pc. 95%, V36 pc. 80%)
    Uni: 3rd French B-School ranked #2 in FT European ranking
    Grades: ~14.5/20 with grades in Maths and Finance classes ~15.5/20 and Social Science classes ~13/20. Overall I am top40% of my uni and top25% in Quanti&Fin classes
    Work Exp: 2 internships in IBD (1 in France and 1 in the UK)
    Personnal Statement: well, i am super motivated and a Quanti boy
    Recommendations: I think they are fair i.e: saying i am a good boy with good results

Thx for the feedback!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copacabana)
    Hi !

I would like to hear about my chances to be admitted to LSE Acc. and Finance or Finance and Economics next year.

Here is my profile:
    GMAT : 710 pc. 94% (Q50 pc. 95%, V36 pc. 80%)
    Uni: 3rd French B-School ranked #2 in FT European ranking
    Grades: ~14.5/20 with grades in Maths and Finance classes ~15.5/20 and Social Science classes ~13/20. Overall I am top40% of my uni and top25% in Quanti&Fin classes
    Work Exp: 2 internships in IBD (1 in France and 1 in the UK)
    Personnal Statement: well, i am super motivated and a Quanti boy
    Recommendations: I think they are fair i.e: saying i am a good boy with good results

Thx for the feedback!

All we can do is speculate I'm afraid. LSE is quite 'different' with its selection process. I've seen people with what many would regard as 'mediocre' grades be accepted and those with exceptional grades rejected. I'm starting to think the selection process is a bit of a crapshoot.

ReputationRep:
    App to Msc Acc & Finance

Uni: University of Western Australia (G8 Group of Universities)
    Deg: Double Degrees in Engineering and Commerce (both 2:1) (top 10%)
    GMAT: 720 (Q81/V95) AWA (5/5)
    Work Exp: PWC Corp Fin, EY Tax, Citigroup, Gov't Engineering Research

that being said, Msc Finance and Econs is the more competitive course, however I can't applyf or that cos my GMAT quant score is not high enough, they require a Q85, and I don't dare to risk taking the gmat and tanking

---
    status - still pending

should I be considering any other universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    App to Msc Acc & Finance

Uni: University of Western Australia (G8 Group of Universities)
    Deg: Double Degrees in Engineering and Commerce (both 2:1) (top 10%)
    GMAT: 720 (Q81/V95) AWA (5/5)
    Work Exp: PWC Corp Fin, EY Tax, Citigroup, Gov't Engineering Research

that being said, Msc Finance and Econs is the more competitive course, however I can't applyf or that cos my GMAT quant score is not high enough, they require a Q85, and I don't dare to risk taking the gmat and tanking

---
    status - still pending

should I be considering any other universities?

If you've just applied to LSE, maybe you should, unless you're absolutely convinced you can win a place (and pay the fees). I'm certain the offers will be rolling out before January next year latest for the first batch of applicants.

There are other great schools you can go for so don't rule them out completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    If you've just applied to LSE, maybe you should, unless you're absolutely convinced you can win a place (and pay the fees). I'm certain the offers will be rolling out before January next year latest for the first batch of applicants.

There are other great schools you can go for so don't rule them out completely.
    Sorry what I meant was, what other universities should I be considering...lol.. no one can be absolutely convinced that they would get a place..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    Sorry what I meant was, what other universities should I be considering...lol.. no one can be absolutely convinced that they would get a place..
    You'll be surprised at the amount of people who would believe otherwise. Too many cocksure individuals out there.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

Couple of quick questions.

I'm in the process of applying for Comparative Politics (conflict). What with one thing and another, I still haven't got round to completing my application, but I hope to get it off before xmas.

1. Does anyone know if the fact that I'm applying a couple of months after the applications opened will put me at a significant disadvantage? I.e. I understand I'll miss out on the first round of decisions.

2. Can anyone give me a rough idea of a reasonable word count for the personal statement for Msc applications. Mine is currently pitching at about 1000. Is this too much or too little?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj2008)
    Hi there.

Couple of quick questions.

I'm in the process of applying for Comparative Politics (conflict). What with one thing and another, I still haven't got round to completing my application, but I hope to get it off before xmas.

1. Does anyone know if the fact that I'm applying a couple of months after the applications opened will put me at a significant disadvantage? I.e. I understand I'll miss out on the first round of decisions.

2. Can anyone give me a rough idea of a reasonable word count for the personal statement for Msc applications. Mine is currently pitching at about 1000. Is this too much or too little?

Cheers
    Good(ish) news, from what my sources at LSE tell me, comparative politics has ALOT of spaces mainly due to the various streams it has so you still have a chance. As previously stated, getting an offer is abit of a crapshoot, most of us aren't totally sure what LSE want, although most will agree that having strong grades is very important. Do you have any impressive work experience? Good references etc? As these will stand in your favour.

The personal statement limit I think is two pages A4, so if 1,000 words is standing at 2 pages then I doubt it will be a problem. Most people's personal statements were only a single page, but I doubt writing alot (ie. using the full amount of space) will put you at a disadvantage if you're application overall is good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.