Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey - I submitted mid december. If you submitted in late jan then I wouldn't expect you to hear anything until end of march but you never know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ltwelv)
    Guys, my status changed to 'A decision has been made..' on Monday morning for my MSc Economics application and it hasn't changed into an offer yet 4 days later...I am getting a bit worried now. Is it possible to be put on the waiting list after this or simply get a rejection?
    I want to know this as well please^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bayvet)
    I want to know this as well please^
    I can't be sure cos I'm not an admissions tutor, but given the overwhelming evidence that once you get that message, you get an offer, it seems very unlikely that you could be put on the waiting list after this. The people I know that have been put on the waiting list never got this message. And the people who didn't get in also didn't get this message. See a pattern emerging? :tongue:

So I dnt wanna jinx it, but congrats

Completely unrelated question now - anyone know anything about timeframes for a decision on deferring a place? I think the department have my request now so I guess it completely depends on when they look at it, but has anyone had any experience with this?

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    I called the admissions office after sending my request - the person on the other end said theres not an exact timeline as such - its as vague as general LSE timelines - though she said it isnt as quick as people think because the request for deferral reaches them in an email format instead of like an online application system which it looks like.

Since i wanted the process expedited i sent a mail to the administrators at the dept and they responded saying theyll try and do it as fast as they can.

ReputationRep:
    A while ago, I applied for a programme which now has 'limited availability'.

Once it changes to closed, do they stop looking at all applications or just the ones submitted afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shre2711)
    hey pavitra
    And Clomipramine, u got an offer for Mgt and Strategy too right? Guess Ill see u in class :-)
    Yep. Nice to know you! Do you have to attend the Economics pre-sessional course as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I applied in early January. Got a 4-th email on 16.01.09.
    Programme - MPhil/Phd in IR.
    Although I know its premature, I keep cheking the tracker everyday.

Anyone else applying for IR doctorate?

Good luck to everyone, including me %)

ReputationRep:
    Im just wondering, if you get an offer can you defer it for a year? Say so that you can work for a year or if you have a good internship lined up? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Some departments have a policy of no deferrals - some dont - depends on what your reason is and whether its considered "good enough".
    Not as easy as deferring in some other universities from what ive heard from my network..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PRADO)
    Hi everyone.

I applied in early January. Got a 4-th email on 16.01.09.
    Programme - MPhil/Phd in IR.
    Although I know its premature, I keep cheking the tracker everyday.

Anyone else applying for IR doctorate?

Good luck to everyone, including me %)
    Good luck with that. What is the funding situation for PhDs at LSE like? Likely to get something?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

First: Some advice to those applying for GSS:
    I was accepted to MSc Economics (Research) in late January, I'd already applied for GSS long before I received my offer, and I was rejected. I think I made two mistakes: 1. I asked for an exorbitant amount (18 000) 2. My SOP was very "professional" meaning I didn't go into much detail about why I needed the money and wrote more about other stuff they asked for - work exp. professional goals etc. I thought it was pretty straightforward, that as a graduating student from Central Eastern Europe, I don't have a lot of money for LSE and London. Anyway, I think in hindsight you have to give a really good reason for why you need the money (though I still think it's pretty obvious ), and also 18 000 is way too much.
    Anyway, my question is: you guys keep on talking about taking out loans to finance your education. What kind of loans are they? I mean, I tried a heap of stuff when doing my GSS, and came to the conclusion, that as an EU national doing graduate study in the UK, I don't have access to subsidised loans from UK govnment sources. Is this correct? Are you guys taking out good old traditional "commercial" loans from an arbitrary bank, or am I missing something?
    Another thing: On the financial support website, they have a heap of other scholarships. How much chance do you think we have of getting those (eg. for Econ, or CEE students etc.) I mean are there like 10 or 1000 of these scholarships available?????

It's been my dream to get to LSE, but without external funding, it's just not gonna happen Help please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karat)
    Good luck with that. What is the funding situation for PhDs at LSE like? Likely to get something?
    Thanks. About 2 hours after I posted my message, the tracker told me that I was rejected (

It took them six weeks to decide on me.

As far as I recall from their site, they have 20 PhD grants for the whole school.

I have not applied, because I would be counting on govt. scholarship have I had an offer.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional offer on the 19th for the MPA Public and Economic Policy, though was given no GSS funding. I think Juhreka and I may have made a similar mistake in the amount of funding requested and the content of the application. While I am thrilled at the offer, I am bummed that I will have to take a massive private loan on top of what the Canadian government allocates to international students seeking loans.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realize GSS was all done by computer....if you meet a certain criteria it must then go on to someone to look at (and if you qualify for scholarships). I did get a scholarship recently to go towards my tuition, but it's a small amount (about 500-600 quid) so I'm not sure it's worth updating my GSS profile for....guess no harm in trying....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shre2711)
    hey pavitra
    saw ur previous posts. I guess the mistake I made was sending all my documents thru DHL, will switch over to registered post now. Which course are you going to be doing?
    And Clomipramine, u got an offer for Mgt and Strategy too right? Guess Ill see u in class :-)
    :yep: i'll br in the global media and communications class join the facebook grp for lse postgrad students 2009-2010...
    jus search for lse graduate school 2009-2010

we hv about 70 people now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee_miller)
    I didn't realize GSS was all done by computer....if you meet a certain criteria it must then go on to someone to look at (and if you qualify for scholarships). I did get a scholarship recently to go towards my tuition, but it's a small amount (about 500-600 quid) so I'm not sure it's worth updating my GSS profile for....guess no harm in trying....
    This whole computer assessment thing is surprising. My GSS application basically said that I have no money besides the little bits and pieces that I will be able to save from my job, family contributions and gov loans. I figured I would ask for the full amount and maybe get a fraction of it. I wonder what the criteria is.

That being said, most Canadian schools that I applied to came right out and said that b/c of the economic climate, there's next to no money this year for incoming students. I would suspect a similar situation at the LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Ok here is some REAL GSS advice for those applying. I've heard enough stupid things on this board which will help no one.

1. The limit is between £3000 - £10,000. Don't ask for bloody £20,000 this is the LSE and not a charity think logically. So apply for a number between this figure. Nothing MORE.

2. Use at least half of your personal statement, if your good enough for a place your good enough to get the GSS.

3. Tell LSE, WHY? you need financial support. Use figures, facts, data examples of your lifestyle. A kid whose parents pay their tuition fees for or support them throughout their undergrad will not be considered because your parental income etc is required to support your claim.

4. Explain why finance should not be an obstacle for someone who is intelligent enough to merit a place at the LSE.

5. Give these guys REAL evidence of why you cannot attend LSE if you get £0 funding from them.

Essentially the people who get rejected probably did none of these. You need to come across as genuine, intelligent and reasonable. The LSE know for fact they have like 8 people per place queuing up for MA/Msc studies so your application isn't anything special to them. But if your smart enough you'll be able to figure out a genuine way of convincing them to give you a helping hand.

I guarantee you there are plenty of opportunities to get scholarship and I speak from the position of someone who had very limited options in terms of funding my studies. Please search them out and be sensible. There is no use applying for a £20k course and asking for the exact amount. Heck even the admissions will tell you that it is stupid to do something like this (there words, not mine).

Best of luck everyone, I hope you take on board this advice.

ReputationRep:
    Unknown, I hear what you're saying and think that I did cover most, if not all, of those points in my app. But if it is a computerized assessment, (is it?) will this info be taken into consideration?

I figured I didn't get funding b/c was file was assessed relatively late in the process for GSS $ and the dep't had met its quota. They say to apply by Nov if you want money but while I did apply in October, I was notified in December that more docs were needed and didn't get a decision until Feb 20th.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    Ok here is some REAL GSS advice for those applying. I've heard enough stupid things on this board which will help no one.

1. The limit is between £3000 - £10,000. Don't ask for bloody £20,000 this is the LSE and not a charity think logically. So apply for a number between this figure. Nothing MORE.

2. Use at least half of your personal statement, if your good enough for a place your good enough to get the GSS.

3. Tell LSE, WHY? you need financial support. Use figures, facts, data examples of your lifestyle. A kid whose parents pay their tuition fees for or support them throughout their undergrad will not be considered because your parental income etc is required to support your claim.

4. Explain why finance should not be an obstacle for someone who is intelligent enough to merit a place at the LSE.

5. Give these guys REAL evidence of why you cannot attend LSE if you get £0 funding from them.

Essentially the people who get rejected probably did none of these. You need to come across as genuine, intelligent and reasonable. The LSE know for fact they have like 8 people per place queuing up for MA/Msc studies so your application isn't anything special to them. But if your smart enough you'll be able to figure out a genuine way of convincing them to give you a helping hand.

I guarantee you there are plenty of opportunities to get scholarship and I speak from the position of someone who had very limited options in terms of funding my studies. Please search them out and be sensible. There is no use applying for a £20k course and asking for the exact amount. Heck even the admissions will tell you that it is stupid to do something like this (there words, not mine).

Best of luck everyone, I hope you take on board this advice.
    I did cover most of the points here, did not get a penny cos I asked for £20000 + but it was true in my case as my parents can never afford my tuition fees here in UK, I've been sponsored throughout my undergraduate and my sponsor will not pay for my Masters ( sad but true)

LSE is not a charity, true but they get like million of pounds from wealthy alumni every year, my friends who applied for GSS a year ago all got £24000-£27000. I guess because of economic downturn, that flow of money is not that strong anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Rehab)
    I did cover most of the points here, did not get a penny cos I asked for £20000 + but it was true in my case as my parents can never afford my tuition fees here in UK, I've been sponsored throughout my undergraduate and my sponsor will not pay for my Masters ( sad but true)

LSE is not a charity, true but they get like million of pounds from wealthy alumni every year, my friends who applied for GSS a year ago all got £24000-£27000. I guess because of economic downturn, that flow of money is not that strong anymore.
    Exception rather than rule. Again, look on the site I am very certain that it state albeit not very clearly £3,000-£10,000 only. It may be possible that your friends were eligible last year to apply for such astronomical figures however it appears LSE will change the goal posts at will. At the end of the day LSE know very well that if you come to study there you will do well in life esp with a masters qualification.

Sorry for the harsh tone of my post but its very silly to hear people moaning/complaining and generally explaining themselves without having research heavily into this. Again I am very lucky and privileged to have gotten the GSS as well and it makes my life easier.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.