The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
sweetsangria
For MSc programs that are still listed as 'Open' on the availability website, is it still worth applying this late in the game? I'm accepted to UCL, but I am considering giving LSE one last shot.

Just try. Do you really have that much to lose compared to what you can win?
shre2711
hey Clomipramine, no they dint ask me to take the economics pre sessional course! was tht on ur list of conditions?applied for accomodation?

Yes, I have to take that Economics course as one of my conditions. Have you taken a few Economics courses/major in Economics in undergrad?

I got a Northumberland single. :smile: You?
Reply 722
I know this is really really late to apply.... so is it worth applying a all?

Also, I'm applying for the Msc LSE-PUK International Affairs prog as well as the Msc Human Rights... and was wondering if anyone's been accepted yet? I know the LSE-PUK prog has a dateline of 15th march.....

Thanks
Reply 723
Hello guys! It's going to be my first post on this thread!

Firstly, congratulations to all who received their offers. I know - waiting for a decision is kinda frustrating, still, good luck to the ones who haven't heard back from LSE as yet.

I've been accepted to read MA History of International Relations. Anyone else with me on the same boat?
Guys my offer condition is upper second class honours.

Does that mean I have to get at least 65%+?
nope, 60%.
Multiplexed
nope, 60%.

Wow really? But that is as good as getting an unconditional offer isn't it?

Anyways, I guess 65% would be a "higher" upper second class honours.
Anti-Everything
Wow really? But that is as good as getting an unconditional offer isn't it?

Anyways, I guess 65% would be a "higher" upper second class honours.

40 - 49% = Third
50 - 59% = 2.2 (lower second class)
60 - 69% = 2.1 (upper second class)
70% + = 1st
Reply 728
Does anyone know if it's still possible to change the 2nd choice course after the application has been submitted? Also, does this mean I have to get a new set of referees to write for me?
Reply 729
milkinit
Does anyone know if it's still possible to change the 2nd choice course after the application has been submitted? Also, does this mean I have to get a new set of referees to write for me?

Yes, you can change it. There is a form for it on their website, use the FAQ to find it. Alternatively you can just send them an email. No new set of references is required.
culprit
Hello guys! It's going to be my first post on this thread!

Firstly, congratulations to all who received their offers. I know - waiting for a decision is kinda frustrating, still, good luck to the ones who haven't heard back from LSE as yet.

I've been accepted to read MA History of International Relations. Anyone else with me on the same boat?

I'm in for the MSc in the same course. Looking forward to it! Culprit, what's the difference between the MSc at the MA?
Reply 731
lukeisunwell
I'm in for the MSc in the same course. Looking forward to it! Culprit, what's the difference between the MSc at the MA?

Hello Lukeisunwell!!!

Thanks a lot for your response.

What I learnt from a fellow applicant is: there is little or no difference between the MSc and the MA. The modules are mostly the same, however, there could be one optional module that would differentiate this MA and MSc! In addition, students who have been awarded a BA in undergrad are more likely to be offered the MA whereas students with a BSc background are considered for the MSc.

Since I heard it from another applicant, I am not sure of the validity of this info - it could still be the fact though. Well, I too very much look forward to starting the programme. Probably I'd meet you right there in October, haa? lol
culprit
Hello Lukeisunwell!!!

Thanks a lot for your response.

What I learnt from a fellow applicant is: there is little or no difference between the MSc and the MA. The modules are mostly the same, however, there could be one optional module that would differentiate this MA and MSc! In addition, students who have been awarded a BA in undergrad are more likely to be offered the MA whereas students with a BSc background are considered for the MSc.

Since I heard it from another applicant, I am not sure of the validity of this info - it could still be the fact though. Well, I too very much look forward to starting the programme. Probably I'd meet you right there in October, haa? lol

You're right - there does seem to be little discernible difference from the information on offer on the website. I applied to the MSc but I'll have an undergraduate MA from St Andrews, so we'll see when I get there! I did summer school last year and merely as an indicator, the whole LSE thing is sweetness personified - I'm sure I'll meet you at one of the induction things where, if the summer school was anything to go by, we'll be drowning in cheap red wine. Brilliant stuff.
Reply 733
lukeisunwell
You're right - there does seem to be little discernible difference from the information on offer on the website. I applied to the MSc but I'll have an undergraduate MA from St Andrews, so we'll see when I get there! I did summer school last year and merely as an indicator, the whole LSE thing is sweetness personified - I'm sure I'll meet you at one of the induction things where, if the summer school was anything to go by, we'll be drowning in cheap red wine. Brilliant stuff.

The way you revealed all these was hilarious! lol. By the way, are you going to have the undergraduate MA on a relevant subject? I am doing BA Business Administration, which is noway near History or IR.:smile:

It's great that you have prior experience to take some sort of courses at LSE - you'd find it all too familiar then. The only time when I visited LSE was this last Open Evening, which turned to be a complete wastage of my precious time. :yep:

I am awaiting to be drowning in cheap(?) red wine with you, let's see how well your indication works out. hahahha
culprit
The way you revealed all these was hilarious! lol. By the way, are you going to have the undergraduate MA on a relevant subject? I am doing BA Business Administration, which is noway near History or IR.:smile:

It's great that you have prior experience to take some sort of courses at LSE - you'd find it all too familiar then. The only time when I visited LSE was this last Open Evening, which turned to be a complete wastage of my precious time. :yep:

I am awaiting to be drowning in cheap(?) red wine with you, let's see how well your indication works out. hahahha

I'm doing my degree in History, so hopefully the MSc will be reasonably seamless. Business Administration is certainly an interesting pathway into International History, I must say.

By cheap I mean free, which is probably a bit of an ask at the LSE proper. Perhaps the organisers were just undergoing summer frivolity. Are you waiting on offers from anywhere else?
Reply 735
lukeisunwell
I'm doing my degree in History, so hopefully the MSc will be reasonably seamless. Business Administration is certainly an interesting pathway into International History, I must say.

By cheap I mean free, which is probably a bit of an ask at the LSE proper. Perhaps the organisers were just undergoing summer frivolity. Are you waiting on offers from anywhere else?

Hi Lukeisunwell!

Yeah - switching from Business to History is kinda unusual. lol. Well, I have PM'd you with all the details. Please check your inbox for my message. Thanks.
Reply 736

Hi Everyone, it's my first post on this forum after lurking here for a while.

I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to look at my stats and see what my chances are of getting into the Msc Accounting and Finance program. Any help/comments would be appreciated! :smile:

Here are my stats:

1st choice: Msc Accounting and Finance
2nd choice: Msc Management and Strategy

1) Undergrad major: Finance and International Business
2) GPA: 3.75/4.33 from top-tier Canadian university
3) GMAT: 700 (90%-tile), V40 (89%-tile), Q47 (79%-tile), AWA 5.0
4) Work Experience: Half a year at a boutique corporate finance firm in Hong Kong, internship at Big 4
5) References: OK I guess?
6) Personal Statement: Decent, fairly good
7) Application Processed/4th E-mail: February 17

Basically I wanna see what my chances of getting in are, especially since I applied so late in the game?

If I don't get in Msc Accounting and Finance, what are my chances of getting in Msc Management and Strategy (note: my PS was geared only towards Acc + Fin)

I really hope the program doesn't fill up soon, eventhough the status still says 'Open'. I know competition is intense this year, and many students have already been admitted.

So what do you guys think? :s-smilie:

Thanks!

Reply 737
you're academic achievements seem strong enough for the course. However, with the intens competition and you applying quite late in the game nothing but an exceptional statement will do. I'd work on this hard, making sure friends read over it before you feel with confidence that its SUPER AWSOME :biggrin: then submit.
Clomipramine

I got a Northumberland single. :smile: You?

How soon from submitting your housing application that you get a room assignment?
Reply 739
K3LM

Hi Everyone, it's my first post on this forum after lurking here for a while.

I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to look at my stats and see what my chances are of getting into the Msc Accounting and Finance program. Any help/comments would be appreciated! :smile:

Here are my stats:

1st choice: Msc Accounting and Finance
2nd choice: Msc Management and Strategy

1) Undergrad major: Finance and International Business
2) GPA: 3.75/4.33 from top-tier Canadian university
3) GMAT: 700 (90%-tile), V40 (89%-tile), Q47 (79%-tile), AWA 5.0
4) Work Experience: Half a year at a boutique corporate finance firm in Hong Kong, internship at Big 4
5) References: OK I guess?
6) Personal Statement: Decent, fairly good
7) Application Processed/4th E-mail: February 17

Basically I wanna see what my chances of getting in are, especially since I applied so late in the game?

If I don't get in Msc Accounting and Finance, what are my chances of getting in Msc Management and Strategy (note: my PS was geared only towards Acc + Fin)

I really hope the program doesn't fill up soon, eventhough the status still says 'Open'. I know competition is intense this year, and many students have already been admitted.

So what do you guys think? :s-smilie:

Thanks!

I would say you have a decent chance. I got about the same as you gmat 79% q 95% v albeit with double degrees in engineering and finance.

I think that it all depends on your personal statement...it must be really good for you to have a chance. I think that a lot of ppl apply with adequate grades, but after that, it all depends on your statement and how well the admissions tutors feel you fit into the lse culture..ie (potential, direction, motivation, accomplishments)

edit: at this time of year, it is pretty late, however there should still be spots left... expect intense competition tho, this year everyone wants to go back to school...

Latest

Trending

Trending