Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have listened to an audio record of the opening day at LSE.

The admissions officer said that they did not consider applications based on extra-curricula activities, but only based on academic merit and personal statement, to which he referred as a significant aspect of an application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    Good(ish) news, from what my sources at LSE tell me, comparative politics has ALOT of spaces mainly due to the various streams it has so you still have a chance. As previously stated, getting an offer is abit of a crapshoot, I'm not totally sure what LSE want, although most will agree that having strong grades is very important. Do you have any impressive work experience? Good references etc? As these will stand in your favour.

The personal statement limit I think is two pages A4, so if 1,000 words is standing at 2 pages then I doubt it will be a problem. Most people's personal statements were only a single page, but I doubt writing alot (ie. using the full amount of space) will put you at a disadvantage if you're application overall is good.
    Thanks, that's reassured me somewhat. My academics are good but not exceptional, I have a high 2.1 (67%) in history from Oxford. I graduated this summer and I am currently working as an MP's researcher. I got on very welll with my tutors so I'm hoping for top references but as you say it's probably going to be a bit of a lottery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fares)
    I have listened to an audio record of the opening day at LSE.

The admissions officer said that they did not consider applications based on extra-curricula activities, but only based on academic merit and personal statement, to which he referred as a significant aspect of an application.
    Maybe not this, but work experience certainly is taken into consideration and will provide an extra bit of weight to your application. Provided its impressive in some way, shape or form.

You have to bare in mind that LSE is more of a 'professional' institution than most other universities.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not this, but work experience certainly is taken into consideration and will provide an extra bit of weight to your application. Provided its impressive in some way, shape or form.

You have to bare in mind that LSE is more of a 'professional' institution than most other universities.
    Does applying earlier make a significant difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    Does applying earlier make a significant difference?
    I can't say. I'm not part of admissions at LSE.

I've seen people get offers early and late. I guess that comes down to them being desirable for the course. But then I've seen people with stellar grades rejected and mediocre grades accepted.

So there isn't a particular 'model' student that LSE want. Nor would I expect there to be.

Best thing to do: Apply, see what happens.

No one can say for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say. I'm not part of admissions at LSE.

I've seen people get offers early and late. I guess that comes down to them being desirable for the course. But then I've seen people with stellar grades rejected and mediocre grades accepted.

So there isn't a particular 'model' student that LSE want. Nor would I expect there to be.

Best thing to do: Apply, see what happens.

No one can say for sure.
    Uncertainty is such a ***** lolz

ReputationRep:
    Yea, the uncertainty is already killing me, and I've only been waiting for like two weeks

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone think it would be beneficial to state:

1. Uni
    2. Grade (predicted)
    3. Time - from application received at LSE to response (be it offer/rejection)
    4. Any other information relevant to the application.

Dont you think this would help us all get a somewhat 'better' picture of what LSE may base offers on?
    1. The University of York (Computer Science)
    2. First (predicted)
    3. Application received by the department on 11/11. Put onto a waiting list today.
    4. Applied for the MSc in Finance (full time), and MSc in Financial Mathematics (second choice).

I don't like waiting... I waited a month to be told that my application won't be looked at again for another six weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePebble)
    1. The University of York (Computer Science)
    2. First (predicted)
    3. Application received by the department on 11/11. Put onto a waiting list today.
    4. Applied for the MSc in Finance (full time), and MSc in Financial Mathematics (second choice).

I don't like waiting... I waited a month to be told that my application won't be looked at again for another six weeks!
    Getting onto the waiting list for MsC Fin is very good already, the acceptance rate for this particular program is incredibly low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seem02)
    Getting onto the waiting list for MsC Fin is very good already, the acceptance rate for this particular program is incredibly low
    Acceptance rate in general is so bloody low.

The most annoying thing about this application is it takes them ONE solid month to receive the application before the say 'we can take 6-8 weeks to make a decision, more so with popular courses.'

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that so far only rejections and waiting lists have been released; no offers yet. Does this say something about the application process at LSE?!

ReputationRep:
    You have to bear in mind that the decision is not centrally based, it's by each department so rejections first then waiting lists and offers does not necessarily happen. Different departments might make decisions earlier/later than others.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect the above is correct, that it cannot simply be a case of: rejection --> waiting list --> offer.

Also agree different departments will take longer due to some courses being more popular i.e. economics, finance, global politics amongst others.

My own guess(timate) is offers will probably arrive last week from December.

ReputationRep:
    I thought there would be no news from mid-December to at least beginning of January... would be kind of mean to send out rejections on Christmas Day! ;-)

ReputationRep:
    hohoho santa knows if you've been good or bad, and will send out the letters accordingly :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPA-please)
    I thought there would be no knews from mid-December to at least beginning of January... would be kind of mean to send out rejections on Christmas Day! ;-)
    The admissions office close on December 19th til first week of January so I suspect no one will be hearing anything around those dates. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    1. University of Bucharest (Sociology)
    2. 9,84/10 overall grade so far (that would be a high 1st in the British system)
    3. Applied for Msc Culture and Society and Msc Race, Ethnicity and Post-Colonial Studies (2nd choice)
    4. Application sent for consideration on Nov. 18th

Do you know of anyone who got an offer before January in previous years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aramat)
    2. 9,84/10 overall grade so far (that would be a high 1st in the British system)
    3. Applied for Msc Culture and Society and Msc Race, Ethnicity and Post-Colonial Studies (2nd choice)

I checked a couple of old threads and offers seemed to be getting made around February/March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aramat)

A handful last year got early offers. My guess is this year, everyone will have to wait till January onwards.

ReputationRep:
    1) University of Connecticut
    2)GPA: 3.85
    3) International Political Economy, Political Science and Political Economy
    4) Completed my application 12/12/2008

Anyone else apply to the IPE program? What's your GPA or rank?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.