Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi mb68991,

I applied for 7000 Pounds in my GSS application. My application also showed how much of a student loan I had been approved and a grant that I will be receiving. If you want more detailed info then please just PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi mb68991,

I applied for 7000 Pounds in my GSS application. My application also showed how much of a student loan I had been approved and a grant that I will be receiving. If you want more detailed info then please just PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustSomeGuy)
    Curses and Blast!

Just got rejected for the Msc IR (Research), and my 2nd choice was already closed so I didn't even get considered for that.

My 1st choice was under consideration for a few weeks, so it looks like I was actually rejected, not that they closed before I had a chance. I did, however, apply in February, which is pretty late in the day for this course, methinks.

Two things:

1)Given that I have a first in History from a good university and three years' experience overseas (two in Japan and one in Italy), anyone know if it would be worth reactivating my application for next year? Are early applications more likely to be accepted?

2)The MSc International Relations Theory is still listed as 'open'. Would it be worth applying for that for this year?

Any advice would be great!
    I was accepted to MSc IR (Research) and I got a conditional offer subject to a 2:i. Plus I don't have any experience as you have. I did apply quite early, mind you, around November or December 2008.

Whether you want to apply to IR Theory is a matter of personal choice, but I think that being the only IR course still open you may have a good chance. However if you want to apply you'd better do it pronto because everyone who lost out on being in IR, Global Politics, and IPE are now going to go for IR Theory.

The question is: are interested in IR theory? MSc IR programmes are made up of four "courses," two of which are compulsory. One of these compulsory courses is the same in both programmes, namely Dissertation.

The other compulsory course is also very similar for both IR and IR Theory. IR students take "international politics" with Michael Cox and IR Theory and IR (Research) take "theories of international relations" which is slightly more advanced and is taught by George Lawson (he's great!).

Then you get to chose from the following units:

Gender Justice and War
    Strategic Aspects of International Relations
    International Security
    Introduction to International Political Theory*
    The International Political Theory of Humanitarian Intervention*
    The Politics of International Law*
    The International Politics of Culture and Religion
    International Organisations and Regimes
    (of which * courses count as half a course)

I understand (straight) IR students simply get a much larger set of choices than the above. But that doesn't mean that you may not be able to chose a different course from the above list if your supervisor allows it.

Also, although IR at the LSE is very prestigious whichever way you look at it, IR Theory is perhaps (i think) understood to mean that you want to go into academia rather than practice. But to be honest this is a rather small concern, because ultimately it is the LSE and you'll make lots of contacts and will be able to chose which route you want to take.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'm sorry you didn't get accepted, but good luck in trying again, wheather this or next year.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Leviathan and Daretel,

Thanks a lot for the advice. Yeah the IR Theory course and its options look really great too, and it does have the same core course as the IR Research that I applied to.

One of the big things I liked about the Research course was the research methods component, which the regular IR and the IR Theory courses both lack. I'm really interested in 'practical' research work with a think tank or international organisation, but would like to keep academia open too, so research methodology seems like a very useful thing to study. Does that make sense?

I guess I have nothing to lose by going for IR Theory now. If I get in I can decide if it's worth it then, and if not then I reapply for IR Research next year (and early this time!)

This for Daretel and breathe919:
    I checked on the 23rd, and the IR programmes were at 'Limited Availability' and my application was under consideration.

On the 24th I checked the availability page, saw the programmes were 'closed', then checked my application progress to find that I was 'unaccepted'.

So to me that means, Daretel, that you're at least still in with a good chance. I think that you, breathe 919, might be in already. I remember seeing on a TSR forum somewhere once that several people all got the 'A Decision Has Been Made' message and all of them got in.

In any case good luck to you both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bartelby)
    Hi mb68991,

just wanted to know what it says in the online application, as in if you eligible for funding from other resources..

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to every one whoever is applying for GSS support.I applied for 10000 pounds and received 8000 pounds support from LSE. Thinking to ask them to reconsider my application Maybe they will give me 10000 pounds. Will they reconsider my application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneymakesworry)
    Good luck to every one whoever is applying for GSS support.I applied for 10000 pounds and received 8000 pounds support from LSE. Thinking to ask them to reconsider my application Maybe they will give me 10000 pounds. Will they reconsider my application?
    I wouldn't bet on it. It seems that everyone that gets some GSS in the first place, is only awarded 80% of what they asked for. It might be a system that they have that they give you 80%. I was surprised to find out that they were giving me 4701, until i found out it was exactly 80% of what i asked for.
    If i were you, i'd be happy for the 8000 quid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applyhell)
    I wouldn't bet on it. It seems that everyone that gets some GSS in the first place, is only awarded 80% of what they asked for. It might be a system that they have that they give you 80%. I was surprised to find out that they were giving me 4701, until i found out it was exactly 80% of what i asked for.
    If i were you, i'd be happy for the 8000 quid.
    Disagree.

I asked for £10,000. Did not get anywhere near 80%.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I finally got a conditional offer from LSE (Msc IR)! Thank you all for your help with the application process
    There is a problem, however, and I need your advice. The condition for my offer is a 3.7 cumulative GPA. My current GPA is 3.67 and the only way I can get a 3.7 is if I get As in all three of my classes. This is not unachievable, but I'm scared ******** because my grade in one of these classes depends entirely upon my performance in an oral exam...I will be tested on material from 9 classes in this beast of an exam. I'm almost certain I will be able to at least bring my GPA up to a 3.68 or a 3.69, but I can't guarantee a 3.7. What are the odds they'll let me in if I miss the mark by 0.01 or 0.02? I can apparently request them to change my condition, but the instructions on the form say this is usually "not possible."
    I'm confused because many other applicants were asked to fulfill much easier conditions. My major GPA is sort of high (3.89) -- I was hoping they would pay more attention to that!

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneymakesworry)
    I sincerely hope you're kidding. You should (if in fact you don't) feel lucky to have received anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breathe919)
    Hey guys,

I finally got a conditional offer from LSE (Msc IR)! Thank you all for your help with the application process
    There is a problem, however, and I need your advice. The condition for my offer is a 3.7 cumulative GPA. My current GPA is 3.67 and the only way I can get a 3.7 is if I get As in all three of my classes. This is not unachievable, but I'm scared ******** because my grade in one of these classes depends entirely upon my performance in an oral exam...I will be tested on material from 9 classes in this beast of an exam. I'm almost certain I will be able to at least bring my GPA up to a 3.68 or a 3.69, but I can't guarantee a 3.7. What are the odds they'll let me in if I miss the mark by 0.01 or 0.02? I can apparently request them to change my condition, but the instructions on the form say this is usually "not possible."
    I'm confused because many other applicants were asked to fulfill much easier conditions. My major GPA is sort of high (3.89) -- I was hoping they would pay more attention to that!

Any thoughts?
    My thoughts are that you are worrying unnecessarily. Your concerns are certainly not unwarranted, but given the experiences I have heard of other applicants in similar positions, it is unlikely that your offer would be rescinded in the event that you fall, say, .3 of a percentage point short of the offer's stipulation. One thing that is certain, though, is that worrying about whether or not you will be able to meet the stipulation will do little to help you do so. In fact, the converse may be the case. If you're bright enough to have reached this point, then you're bright enough to receive an "A" on a "beast"
    of an oral exam. And if you fall somewhat short (which is to say your current G.P.A. doesn't decrease), I would be extraordinarily surprised if your offer was rescinded.

Your best strategy, therefore, is to not conflate short and long term goals. Your short term goal is to do well on your exam. Your long term goal is to meet the conditions of your offer. If you concentrate primarily on the short term goal, you will find the demands of each to be much more manageable.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How long after 'a decision has been made' message do you receive an update (be it an offer or not)? Say if the message is there for a week :eek3: with no updates - is that common?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I've been waiting for 4 days now, got my "A decision has been made.." this monday afternoon, and it has remained unchanged until Friday

I'm beginning to wonder if they clicked the wrong thing, perhaps I was meant to be rejected!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiska)
    I've been waiting for 4 days now, got my "A decision has been made.." this monday afternoon, and it has remained unchanged until Friday

I'm beginning to wonder if they clicked the wrong thing, perhaps I was meant to be rejected!:mad:
    At least we are not alone. I know a couple of people in our situation. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the holiday started last week, and they are being slow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who?)
    At least we are not alone. I know a couple of people in our situation. Perhaps it's due to the fact that the holiday started last week, and they are being slow.
    Ah, that makes me feel so much better! Is the staff on holidays too or just the students? That might account for the long wait!

What programme are you in for anyway? I dont know if it's the senior staff at the Grad admissions office who have to finish the last details of your offer or if it's people from the Department you've applied to, got any idea? Trying to figure out if it's a specific department that's being slow, or if it's the grad admissions office who are overburdened

ReputationRep:
    Well i was waiting since tuesday ''A decision has been made....'' until today when i finally got an offer. In my case i think it was more because the conditions are pretty complicated.

The course was MSc Accounting & Finance. Im really stoked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiska)
    Ah, that makes me feel so much better! Is the staff on holidays too or just the students? That might account for the long wait!

What programme are you in for anyway? I dont know if it's the senior staff at the Grad admissions office who have to finish the last details of your offer or if it's people from the Department you've applied to, got any idea? Trying to figure out if it's a specific department that's being slow, or if it's the grad admissions office who are overburdened
    I know the students are on holiday... but the staff don't do much during holiday from what I've seen. I'm MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics (research track).

It's not the department that's being slow for sure - most probably the admin staff.

ReputationRep:
    I echo Camus' sentiments regard GSS and the GPA. Focus on your exam, and if you fall slightly short of an A, there is always the possibility of speaking to your prof. regarding your GPA predicament. Of course, I don't recommend relying on this, but at my university you can speak to your prof. directly and if you are on the cusp (for example, you received a 79, but you need an 80) they may be willing to bump your grade up on compassionate grounds. You can even appeal to the Dean of your faculty to do this, again on compassionate grounds. Now obviously they do this sparingly, and you couldn't receive a 75, and ask for it to be bumped up to an 80, but they are aware of these sorts of issues and most prof's don't want to fail you at life.

ReputationRep:
    Dave05, how do you mean the conditions were complicated? My grade transcript is a bit messed up so I'm thinking my delay could have something to do with that.

ReputationRep:
    RE: magiska. Well it's complicated in that i already take a floating unit at LSE (through the UoL intercollegiate scheme) so they made my offer conditional on that grade. Also I'm required to take a course at LSE summer school, to boost my accounting knowledge (I'm an econ undergrad). My transcript is also complicated, as i spent 1 year studying abroad. But i think the department uses the transcript to assess whether to give you an offer, rather than being used for the conditions?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.