Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave05)
    RE: magiska. Well it's complicated in that i already take a floating unit at LSE (through the UoL intercollegiate scheme) so they made my offer conditional on that grade. Also I'm required to take a course at LSE summer school, to boost my accounting knowledge (I'm an econ undergrad). My transcript is also complicated, as i spent 1 year studying abroad. But i think the department uses the transcript to assess whether to give you an offer, rather than being used for the conditions?
    I'm not sure Dave05. I think it's fairly common to get a grade condition as well, at LSE i think it's 2:1 hons. I'm not from the UK, and my grades are not really calculable, nothing like a GPA or anything. On top of that I have two sets of grades because my BSc is a cooperation from two different institutions where the grade systems are different

Anyway, I hope you're right and that they're just being slow cause it's holidays!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Just a random question...and sorry if this offends some people, I am just curious. :confused: Do you think it's easier to get in UK unis (esp. LSE) if you don't ask for funding at all?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michiko18)
    Hey all,

Just a random question...and sorry if this offends some people, I am just curious. :confused: Do you think it's easier to get in UK unis (esp. LSE) if you don't ask for funding at all?

Thanks!
    Probably not relevant. They can just as easily reject your funding application and then you either pay the full fee, or you do not go.

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,
    May i know in what way i can boost my chances(if any)of applying to study for the Msc International Mgmt at LSE,i am hoping for a 2.1,but if i fall into anything lower than that,they might not even consider that right..
    Does the LSE consider high GMATscores and internship/work experience and testimonials from profs and former bosses on top of its academic evaluation?
    I will be graduating with a banking and finance degree,there is an option for me to take up a 2nd degree in financial management and markets which is also a honours.If i take that up as an addition,try to beef up on my honours,and apply to LSE will this help?

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer today, on a Saturday. Quite spectacular!

I have a question though:

I got a grade condition of obtaining at least 90 credits with a "Pass with Distinction", our highest mark. This means half of my BSc degree has to be Pass with Distinction, a quite reasonable condition taken directly from the LSE homepage. However, my department only awards Pass with Distinction for certain courses, so in reality I can only recieve Pass with Distinction for 135 credits rather than 180. Do you think it's reasonble to ask them to lower the requirement to half of 135 (65-70)? And is it the Grad admittions office i should talk to about this, or do i have to ask the Department i'm applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camus)
    My thoughts are that you are worrying unnecessarily. Your concerns are certainly not unwarranted, but given the experiences I have heard of other applicants in similar positions, it is unlikely that your offer would be rescinded in the event that you fall, say, .3 of a percentage point short of the offer's stipulation. One thing that is certain, though, is that worrying about whether or not you will be able to meet the stipulation will do little to help you do so. In fact, the converse may be the case. If you're bright enough to have reached this point, then you're bright enough to receive an "A" on a "beast"
    of an oral exam. And if you fall somewhat short (which is to say your current G.P.A. doesn't decrease), I would be extraordinarily surprised if your offer was rescinded.

Your best strategy, therefore, is to not conflate short and long term goals. Your short term goal is to do well on your exam. Your long term goal is to meet the conditions of your offer. If you concentrate primarily on the short term goal, you will find the demands of each to be much more manageable.
    I think you're right. I've calmed down considerably since I first received my offer. I'm just going to focus on doing well on my exam for now. Thanks for the great advice!

ReputationRep:
    "A decision has been made on this choice and is being processed. Processing involves checking by a senior member of staff, and occasionally verification of one or more details by your Department. Most decisions will be finalised and appear here within one or two working days"

YES!!

Man you guys better be right about this status change...I'll be so upset if I somehow don't get the offer

I applied for Msc Accounting and Finance btw

ReputationRep:
    share ur background plzzzzzz?thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanshan)
    share ur background plzzzzzz?thx

Here it is:

1) Undergrad major: Finance and International Business
    2) GPA: 3.75/4.33 from top-tier Canadian university
    3) GMAT: 700 (90%-tile), V40 (89%-tile), Q47 (79%-tile), AWA 5.0
    4) Work Experience: Half a year at a boutique corporate finance firm in Hong Kong, internship at Big 4
    5) References: OK I guess?
    6) Personal Statement: Decent, fairly good
    7) Application Processed/4th E-mail: February 17

I hope this is not just some sick April Fool's joke the department is pulling on me, hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry definitely you will get the offer. Same message was appeared in my case as well hopefully you will receive the offer within next 24hrs

ReputationRep:
    Now the big question... any clue how good/bad LSE's MSc in Accounting & Finance programme is? I have an offer, and am still evaluating it before i give my consent...

ReputationRep:
    GPA 3.75 from US uni

Outside the classroom:
    Renaissance Art Study in Italy
    International Security Study in Australia
    Internship for Political Party in Croatia

I know they don't place much merit on extracurriculars, but hopefully they help. Can anyone chime in with what they think my chances of getting into LSE for a Master's in Global Politics or International Relations are? I will be applying for 2010/2011!

Thanks!

P.S. Do you think it is harder to get into Global Politics or IR? I know which one I would rather study, I'm just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneymakesworry)
    Dont worry definitely you will get the offer. Same message was appeared in my case as well hopefully you will receive the offer within next 24hrs

I finally did get my offer

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys! Does anybody knows anthing about the LSE reserve list? What is the difference with the waiting list?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solale)
    Hey Guys! Does anybody knows anthing about the LSE reserve list? What is the difference with the waiting list?
    waiting list = still essentially a pending application, not guaranteed a place if someone drops out like reserve list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiplexed)
    waiting list = still essentially a pending application, not guaranteed a place if someone drops out like reserve list.
    I know I know. But my question is: why would they make two different lists if their effect is the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackplace)
    OMG Just got the "A decision has been made" message !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying not to get too excited but looks like I got in right ???
    congrzzz, which course?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

I was just wonderning, how common is it for students to work as students assistants at LSE? It is really common at my uni in Germany and would love to work for a chair or a research group for a couple of hours per week (8-10). Do you know anything about that? I've been trying to look it up at LSE's webpage but have been unable to find anything. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPA-please)
    Hi everybody,

I was just wonderning, how common is it for students to work as students assistants at LSE? It is really common at my uni in Germany and would love to work for a chair or a research group for a couple of hours per week (8-10). Do you know anything about that? I've been trying to look it up at LSE's webpage but have been unable to find anything. Thank you!
    I understand that students enrolled for MPhil/PhD programmes may take up lecturing/tutoring duties from theirs second year onwards. I think it's probably very unlikely that MSc studends are given any such positions. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPA-please)
    Hi everybody,

It's possible to RA. I know second year undergrads doing it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.