Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, tried my luck applying to MSc Political Sociology at LSE since it was still listed as open last week. I have a strong application but was unable to apply any earlier. Ive also applied to Essex York and am considering applying to Cambridges Mphil Politics(deadline 31st July).
    What would you rate the best unis to study politics?

I hold an unconditional offer to Manchester for their MA Political Economy programme. Think I should go ahead and accept??

ReputationRep:
    I also did apply to warwick's IPE, which i guess is my first choice if i manage to squeeze through

ReputationRep:
    Certainly, LSE is the best choice, followed by Essex and Warwick. However, although the last two have better politics/IR departments than Cambridge, the brand name of the latter weights a lot, and if I were you, I would choose it over either Essex or Warwick. As for Manchester, I do not think you should accept their offer. You say that you are a strong candidate, which means you will likely receive at least an offer from the other universities, all of which are better than Manchester in IPE or Politics.

ReputationRep:
    thanks fares! i did get an offer from york and warwick. havent heard from lse or essex yet..

if i do get in, i wonder- warwick over essex or the other way around??

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, when one chooses a graduate school, one should consider both the reputation of the university in general and that of the department. While Essex's politics department has an excellent reputation among academics, the university does not have a good overall reputation. In contrast, Warwick has a fairly good politics department with a decent reputation, as well as an excellent university reputation among both academics and employers. Assuming that you have no personal preference in regard to the courses offered at each department, I think you should choose Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all of you,

I am on the reserve list for LSE'S MSc in Media & Communication and I haven't heard back from them yet...Is anyone on a similar situation???I already possess an MSc from Cranfield School of Management, I have a 1st UK equivalent BSc, and a 2.1 Masters degree and I have been accepted from all the Schools I have applied. Apparently when I called to see why I was on the reserve list they told me taht when they processed my application the programme had already closed...Is anyone on the reserve list of this or another master at LSE who can give me an insight on what to expect???

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I'm just a tad confused at the moment. I applied way late for MA in Sociology. They wanted a 1st as their conditional offer, and I knew I couldn't get that. I tried my best, and ended up with 67% overall.

I sent my results in, and now 2 weeks to the day, they stated "we received the documents, and will get back to you". I haven't had a reply yet (after being 2 weeks to the day) - but decided to track my application online. It's now changed and says:

"Status of Application: 1.We have completed processing the additional documentation requested and we are pleased to confirm your place - you now hold an unconditional offer."

Also:

"Thank You - We look forward to seeing you at registration.
    Details of orientation, induction events and registration are available on the
    new arrivals website. "

Information about a 1st required, and also the fact its 'conditional' has been removed with the message 'unconditional'. This must be good news?! I will email them now (or later, its 1am when I checked haha).

Can anybody else confirmed in their app's, get the same message as I did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Element54)
    I'm just a tad confused at the moment. I applied way late for MA in Sociology. They wanted a 1st as their conditional offer, and I knew I couldn't get that. I tried my best, and ended up with 67% overall.

I sent my results in, and now 2 weeks to the day, they stated "we received the documents, and will get back to you". I haven't had a reply yet (after being 2 weeks to the day) - but decided to track my application online. It's now changed and says:

"Status of Application: 1.We have completed processing the additional documentation requested and we are pleased to confirm your place - you now hold an unconditional offer."

Also:

"Thank You - We look forward to seeing you at registration.
    Details of orientation, induction events and registration are available on the
    new arrivals website. "

Information about a 1st required, and also the fact its 'conditional' has been removed with the message 'unconditional'. This must be good news?! I will email them now (or later, its 1am when I checked haha).

Can anybody else confirmed in their app's, get the same message as I did?
    Oh come on - surely this is OBVIOUSLY good news?! :rolleyes:

Congratulations - Sociology is very strong at LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who?)
    Oh come on - surely this is OBVIOUSLY good news?! :rolleyes:

Congratulations - Sociology is very strong at LSE
    Well I have to confirm this by ringing, and emailing the department for official reply, since I haven't been officially notified by anybody!

But if I got a place, I'm just gob-smacked at the moment :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katkaramaz)
    Hello to all of you,

I am on the reserve list for LSE'S MSc in Media & Communication and I haven't heard back from them yet...Is anyone on a similar situation???I already possess an MSc from Cranfield School of Management, I have a 1st UK equivalent BSc, and a 2.1 Masters degree and I have been accepted from all the Schools I have applied. Apparently when I called to see why I was on the reserve list they told me taht when they processed my application the programme had already closed...Is anyone on the reserve list of this or another master at LSE who can give me an insight on what to expect???

Thanks a lot
    My application has been also placed in the reserve group for MPA EPEP. I already, however, hold an unconditional offer for MSc IPE. But I really prefer the MPA to the MSc.
    As what to expect, I can well imagine that some offer holders may decline their offers, but the problem is that all the candidates in the reserve group have been deemed strong by the admissions officers and no one knows if one will be the most suitable candidate. Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if its worth me applying for MSc in applicable mathematics.
    Got a 1st in my undergraduate degree in Maths and financial maths at manchester. However 1st year i completly failed averaged like 40%, 2nd year 51% but in my final year i averaged at over 80% and managed to get a 1st (got a 1st in all my modules). Also took a few 4th year modules in my 3rd year.
    Im guessing this isnt really the typical profile of an applicant, but the course is still accepting applicants so guessing it isnt as competitive as something like finance.
    Really enjoy maths and would love to do study at LSE.
    Is it worth spending 35quid on an application or will i just get a big fat rejection??
    Also considering applying at imperial for the same course you reckon my chances are slim there also?

any help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashif_k)
    Wondering if its worth me applying for MSc in applicable mathematics.
    Got a 1st in my undergraduate degree in Maths and financial maths at manchester. However 1st year i completly failed averaged like 40%, 2nd year 51% but in my final year i averaged at over 80% and managed to get a 1st (got a 1st in all my modules). Also took a few 4th year modules in my 3rd year.
    Im guessing this isnt really the typical profile of an applicant, but the course is still accepting applicants so guessing it isnt as competitive as something like finance.
    Really enjoy maths and would love to do study at LSE.
    Is it worth spending 35quid on an application or will i just get a big fat rejection??
    Also considering applying at imperial for the same course you reckon my chances are slim there also?

any help appreciated
    You can refer to your "struggle" towards the 1st and explain how you managed to end it successfully in the PS; it would be interesting to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fares)
    You can refer to your "struggle" towards the 1st and explain how you managed to end it successfully in the PS; it would be interesting to read.
    Pretty sure noone cares about the struggle - and all they care about is grades and research interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who?)
    Pretty sure noone cares about the struggle - and all they care about is grades and research interests.
    But would my grades in the final year, compensate for my earlier failure Also, i replaced 30/120 credits (2 modules) of 3rd year models by 4th year models (msc units) which are simialar to what i would be studying. So effectivly a quater of my 3rd year was msc stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashif_k)
    But would my grades in the final year, compensate for my earlier failure Also, i replaced 30/120 credits (2 modules) of 3rd year models by 4th year models (msc units) which are simialar to what i would be studying. So effectivly a quater of my 3rd year was msc stuff
    I'll PM you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who?)
    I'll PM you.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anybody still under consideration? For anything? Looks like we're the last herd.

ReputationRep:
    I am on the reserve list for MSc International Health Policy (Health Economics).

Is there anyone who know what to expect regarding when a final decision will be made? On the application tracker they state: "You will be notified of a final decision by the 30 July 2009 at the latest", but recently I have received a letter stating, that "you will receive a final decision as to whether a place is to be made available from August 17th onwards"

ReputationRep:
    Did you call them? I did and they said that they planned on releasing all the decisions by the first week of August.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would give them today as well, but is going to call them tomorrow. Sounds promising if we can expect a decision next week or was it specific to MPA EPEP?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.