The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I think it is fair to say I made quite the mistake in not applying for a more reasonable ammount. I actually applied for a couple of grand more than my tuition fees, hoping my changes will make a difference and I will at least get something :/
timmymagic07
Yeah I think it is fair to say I made quite the mistake in not applying for a more reasonable ammount. I actually applied for a couple of grand more than my tuition fees, hoping my changes will make a difference and I will at least get something :/

what course u applied for? Uni? Subject?
Never posted here before so...hello!

Just checked my account mindlessly, not thinking it would be updated until January, but unfortunately I had a rejection waiting for me for the MSc Global Politics. I also attend a top Canadian university, have a 4.0, also a couple years work experience in London (UK) and am semi-fluent in a couple languages. I also had a specialty in a certain region/country. I certainly didn't think I was a shoo-in, but I thought I was a competitive applicant so a bit hurt by the quick outright rejection. Awaiting to hear from my second choice though I'm not holding my breath. Ah well, what can you do. I expected it to be particularly competitive this year

Just hope they understood my transcript since it is a bit confusing....:hmmm: I think it would look silly to call them about it though...
Reply 103
Another rejection that supports my hypothesis; Rejections are sent out before offers :smile:

What university do you attend in Canada?

Good luck in your second option,
Reply 104
unknown demon
Applied for GSS, was told by them NOT to apply for a humungus figure. I have no idea why, LSE say they offer up to £10m per year on scholarship etc.

Applied for less than my tuition fees (if I get in) but a big enough amount to ensure I'll be able to pay and attend the course.

I doubt I'll hear anything till January now for sure.

Is GSS the kind of thing that everyone applies for? I can just about afford the course so I did not apply for it, from the way I read it it seemed like financial help rather than a scholarship, so I thought that I'd leave it for those who really need it.
seem02
Is GSS the kind of thing that everyone applies for? I can just about afford the course so I did not apply for it, from the way I read it it seemed like financial help rather than a scholarship, so I thought that I'd leave it for those who really need it.

I only applied because the MPA programme is just sooooo expensive. And the way I understood it you have to explain in the statement why you actually need the money. I guess that everyone who gets into LSE does deserve a scholarship. But since they cannot help everybody they might help those who could otherwise not afford to study LSE. I do not think that "best" applicants receive help by the GSS but those who cannot actually afford LSE but who LSE would like to have as students.

I only applied for part of the tution fee and hope to receibe an offer and financial support. I really doubt that I can affors studying at LSE without help from LSE or an scholarship (applied for a German postgrad scholarship and am still awaiting an answer...).
I can't afford to study at LSE unless I get some support too. My problem is that I'm also working abroad at the moment, only able to save a small amount each month.

Having said that, I'm now able to live at home during the year at LSE so I'm hoping that will obviously make a big difference in terms of my GSS application. I'm determined to study there and expect I will somehow make it, even if I have to rob a bank :smile:

The GSS is an interesting concept - last year I read about a few students from abroad getting access to scholarships and then receiving 25,000+ via GSS. Basically this meant they were almost being paid by LSE to go there. This year they have opened it up so that anyone can apply, no matter whether you have been given an alternative scholarship or not. Bit strange when you consider the fact people who would have not been offered a scholarship will probably have had more reason to apply for GSS! I know they obviously have reasons for this.

I applied for ADMIS around February or March time, I got decent enough grades (First) from Westminster and fantastic recommendations, my personal statement was very direct towards the course and my work experience was extremely relevant. I personally thought I was a decent enough candidate overall, although my grades at Uni might have let me down slightly (70.25%), particularly second year which were more around the 2:2 area.

One thing you have to consider is the fact anyone who applies is likely to have a decent chance. Afterall, I can't see many paying £30 if they feel they have an outside chance. Some of the above rejections seem quite strange, but I guess it varies from course to course and they do appear to like relevant work experience.

I really rushed my personal statement for GSS, which I regret now. I also regret not taking some extra time to send the financial support team a few e-mails before submitting my application. I rushed it after seeing "apply as soon as possible" plastered all over the website, bit silly when you consider the fact the majority of people are still only at the application stage to get into the place!
So are you lot applying for GSS before your offers? Seems a bit of a strange thing to do.
Multiplexed
So are you lot applying for GSS before your offers? Seems a bit of a strange thing to do.

That's how it works. You apply and once your application has been acknowledged you apply for GSS. If you receive an offer you are immediately concidered for GSS and will know soon enough whether you will receive financial support. If you do not receive an offer you wasted a bit of time for the GSS application but at least you tried.
Reply 109
will getting GSS cause you to be on a lower footing than those who apply? at all?
seem02
will getting GSS cause you to be on a lower footing than those who apply? at all?

I highly doubt it. LSE know they charge exorbant fees and most people will not be able to pay for the fees etc. So I doubt, if someone is competent and able enough to do the course i.e. mid-high 2.1/1st class but would struggle financially LSE wouldn't look down at an applicant for this reason.
I'm not even sure if the people making the offer know whether you have applied for GSS....
Reply 112
Guys, I just got the "a decision has been made and is being processed" message...I'm shaking rather badly right now...I'm getting ready for 24 very,very hard hours....
aramat
Guys, I just got the "a decision has been made and is being processed" message...I'm shaking rather badly right now...I'm getting ready for 24 very,very hard hours....

Wooow, Good Luck! At least you will now before christmas, that's a start ;-) I thought the decision was gonna be on the tracking system the moment the decision is made. What's up with mail?
Reply 114
aramat

I got the same message yesterday and it said it usually takes 1-2 days "to process"-I have been trying to figure out what this means! Hopefully we should find out by tomorrow!

best of luck to you!
aramat

What course did you apply for?
Reply 116
aramat

Rather mean that they don't just tell you online! Best of luck, I hope you get an offer. :-)
Reply 117
Why do uni applications have to be so emotionally taxing...sigh
Reply 118
Please forgive my ignorance but may I ask how you received the status message on your application? I logged on to the Embark system online and couldn't distinguish any sort of status message there. Did they send an email or how else did you get your notice?
You need to login to the LSE for you site (google lse for you). You login using app/app as user/pass and then fill out your applicant ID and birth date, from there you will be presented with a bunch of information, scroll down and you'll find a status message.

Latest

Trending

Trending