Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Our dog has just started chasing his tail Watch

ReputationRep:
    Our previous dog was a boxer dog, when she was born boxers had their tails removed so I was never able to experience this. Boxers no longer have their tails removed so our new one, almost a year old now, has, in the past week, began chasing his tail. It's one of the funniest things I have seen! He runs round in circles and ends up falling into the walls/furniture. He then sits down and reaches his head round behind him to get it, and ends up falling over backwards! I never realised how amusing this was before!
    Our tortoise also likes to chase him around the living room (and the tortoise can move pretty damn quick!)
    Pets are great

ReputationRep:
    Lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Video your tortoise chasing the dog and show us!

ReputationRep:
    Had a video of it on my old phone, but I'm not sure what I did with the phone. If I find it I'll upload it, if not then I'll try to remember to video it next time it happens.

ReputationRep:
    If he's trying to nibble the base of his tail he might being having issues with his anal glands (a common problem).
    You sure he's just playing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brak3n)
    If he's trying to nibble the base of his tail he might being having issues with his anal glands (a common problem).
    You sure he's just playing?
    His tail wags the whole time. Usually when he sees it behind him or wags it so hard he hits himself he starts to chase it. And when he does manage to get it (usually when lying on the floor is the only time he's kept it still enough) he doesn't nibble/chew it.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

My dog did this when he was a puppy for about a month, then stopped

I've always wondered if there is any dog that tries the stealth approach, trying to sneak up on his tail. I can imagine that would be hilarious, but I don't think they have the instinct. Do cats chase their tails? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Do cats chase their tails?

I've seen it done. Usually starts when she's chasing sommat else (Likely a fish in the aquarium, or even just a feather or sommat), then she gets confused and goes for the tail briefly. Then again, this is the cat who got smacked in the face by a dwarf rabbit :P

ReputationRep:
    chasing thier own tail can be a sign of stress

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.