The Student Room Group

Disappointing results - feel so ashamed and unsure of what to do

I received my results today - BCC, which is ridiculously
disappointing considering I was predicted AAB. Want
to do chemistry at the University of Warwick but I've now been accepted at my insurance choice, which was unconditional (University of Plymouth).

I feel so stupid and ashamed considering that, for my firm, I was on a programme called ‘Warwick Scholars’ which reduced my offer from AAB to BBC. I should note that I have had bad insomnia and worsened anxiety since last December due to long covid, but I don’t think the university would care.

The problem is, Plymouth is a 3-hour drive from where I live and all of my family hate driving (more than 10 minutes and the adults who do drive get frustrated). I feel awful and I am aware this is all my fault but I just really wanted to go to my firm. I don’t see any point in begging the university to let me attend but I just think that if I go to Plymouth with these awful grades, I will fail the course completely and employers will see my awful A-Level results… I like my insurance and have visited the city before (it’s really nice!) but I’m torn between re-sitting or just going there. Not to mention how I am scared about noisy accommodation as I have to call them up now and get assigned whatever is left.

Any advice would be wonderful. I’m such an indecisive person, it’s terrible. I feel even worse as a result of all of my friends getting A & A* grades (lowest set of grades between my friends was A*AA, so my grades look horrific).

Edit: to worsen things, all of my GCSE grades were 7-9…

Second Edit: I contacted Warwick, got declined again. Could I defer entry at Plymouth, I wonder?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by andrew_b43
to do chemistry at the University of Warwick but I've now been accepted at my insurance choice, which was unconditional (University of Plymouth).

I feel so stupid and ashamed considering that, for my firm, I was on a programme called ‘Warwick Scholars’ which reduced my offer from AAB to BBC. I should note that I have had bad insomnia and worsened anxiety since last December due to long covid, but I don’t think the university would care.

The problem is, Plymouth is a 3-hour drive from where I live and all of my family hate driving (more than 10 minutes and the adults who do drive get frustrated). I feel awful and I am aware this is all my fault but I just really wanted to go to my firm. I don’t see any point in begging the university to let me attend but I just think that if I go to Plymouth with these awful grades, I will fail the course completely and employers will see my awful A-Level results… I like my insurance and have visited the city before (it’s really nice!) but I’m torn between re-sitting or just going there. Not to mention how I am scared about noisy accommodation as I have to call them up now and get assigned whatever is left.

Any advice would be wonderful. I’m such an indecisive person, it’s terrible. I feel even worse as a result of all of my friends getting A & A* grades (lowest set of grades between my friends was A*AA, so my grades look horrific).

Hi,
first of all, I would urge you not to compare your results to your friends. Your circumstances are different to theirs and achieving BCC, considering you had insomnia and anxiety is a fantastic achievement.
There is no need to feel ashamed of yourself, it has been such a difficult couple of years.

If plymouth is too far to drive to, perhaps you can consider accommodation? Or if you really want to go to warwick, have a look in clearing for a course you may like.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Agreed!! You should be proud of your results! Good luck
I have to second what the above says, your grades don't reflect you and you should feel proud of the achievements you've made given your circumstances.
There's a few options out there for you - resitting one or more of your subjects and re-apply next year, call clearing for your chosen universities and see if they can offer you a place, or a foundation entry if they offer that?
Regardless of what you do, you should try contacting your firm choice university and see what they say and suggest, you never know!

But congrats on your results, and best of luck for your future ahead! :smile:

Josh
Original post by spectrum84
Hi,
first of all, I would urge you not to compare your results to your friends. Your circumstances are different to theirs and achieving BCC, considering you had insomnia and anxiety is a fantastic achievement.
There is no need to feel ashamed of yourself, it has been such a difficult couple of years.

If plymouth is too far to drive to, perhaps you can consider accommodation? Or if you really want to go to warwick, have a look in clearing for a course you may like.

Good luck :smile:

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're so disappointed with your results. I know how upsetting and frustrating this can feel. However, it sounds like you've faced many challenges over the past year, and to achieve BCC despite this is a phenomenal achievement, of which I think you should feel really proud. As said already, try not to compare yourself to others, who will have had different circumstances.

In terms of where you go to university, are there other ways you could travel between home and Plymouth, to minimise the amount your family have to drive? Also, please don't feel as though these grades will shape your performance at university. Lots of people find learning at university suits them more and there's also lots of support available to help you develop your academic skills too.

You've done really well to come this far - I know it can be hard to see when you're feeling disappointed, but seriously, you should be proud!

Nicola

Hello @andrew_b43

I'm so sorry that you are unhappy with your results. I know that success is relative and you are clearly and understandably disappointed but BCC are really good results! Especially considering your insomnia and anxiety! You should be really proud of yourself for even getting through the exams let alone getting such genuinely impressive results. Having said this I do understand that this is not what you expected and are therefore understandably disappointed.

I would recommend ringing the University of Warick firstly to discuss whether there is anything they can do for you, they may take into account your extraneous circumstances and consider you for a place, maybe through clearing or with a foundation year. If not I would then recommend considering whether you would like to live at the university in Plymouth, as then you wouldn't have to travel to and from very often, I'm assuming you would also be able to get the train to Plymouth depending where you are. If you would prefer to be closer to home then I would recommend researching other Universities which are closer to you and ringing their clearing helplines to see what they can do for you, it may be that they can offer you a Chemistry position with a foundation year for example.

I hope this is helpful,

Katie - Educational Psychology Student

Hello @andrew_b43

I completely understand feeling disappointed by your grades not meeting your expectations, but giving yourself some slack would be really good for you. You’ve been put at an immediate disadvantage by having insomnia and anxiety. Everyone needs adequate sleep to function well, especially on exams, you did the best you could considering your circumstances.

If you’d still really like to go to Warwick, perhaps call the university up and see what places they have available on the courses you are interested in?
If you’d still like to go to Plymouth, I think you’d really benefit from speaking to the services they may offer to see if they can put into place some systems to help you throughout your course, taking into consideration your struggles. They want you to succeed too.

However, it is ultimately your decision as to whether you would like a second chance at A-Levels and want to re-sit them and re-apply to university next year. There are plenty of students in the past who have done the same and I’m sure if you speak to a medical professional to see if you can get your insomnia and anxiety under control, you’d have a much better shot next time around.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Hi @andrew_b43, I just wanted to say that, even though your results aren't what you expected, you should be really proud of what you've achieved, especially considering that you were studying through a pandemic and through your health-related issues.

I would recommend contacting Uni of Warwick as soon as you can through their clearing phone line to explain your situation and they'll be able to clearly advise you on your next steps and any options they may have available to you. If you head to their website, they'll have their clearing contact details on there.

I also want to address your worries about potentially failing the degree course due to your A Level results - your A Level results don't reflect your intelligence or your ability to study at degree level. Things just sometimes don't go to plan and it can be for a range of different reasons. Also, I can't speak for all employers, but in my experience, employers place a lot of value on how much their applicants can demonstrate that they have work experience, determination and aren't afraid of trying new things, so which ever university you attend, grab opportunities for gaining work experience and any extracurricular activities the uni offers, alongside studying your degree.

All the best!
Emily (official Sheffield Hallam rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending